• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Gothic2 [PC] - Beta coming soon

Updated 10.03.2009

Name: DM-GothicBSP // DM-Gothic2008
    Compatibility: PC
    Description: Remake of DM-Gothic from Unreal Tournament

Comments: The first Beta download will be available soon..

Credits: Remade by sneh
    Original DM-Gothic by Shane Caudle, Unreal Tournament - Epic Games
    RipperLite v2 by Parser (Fraghouse mod team)

Classic version (BSP)
    DM-Gothic_BSP.zip (14.6Mb)

DM-Gothic2008 .. soon!

Dynamic sky / weather system (random)

youtube video - (from alpha version)

Work continues!

needs more meshes...

Comment

Originally posted by Gikon View Post
      needs more meshes...
      If you read the comments you would see I already know this.

If you were more specific it might be more helpful...

Comment

Ill wait with the download until you got the meshes in place keep working there, if you do the meshes well this could be one of the best maps i have seen

Comment

It's great. I like the fact that you're keeping the original BSP shape intact and just polishing up or adding 3D depth to the textures. Any chance you can make them a little sharper as well? Overlay some subtle stone textures, maybe, just to cover up some of the murkiness.

Loving the lighting and indoor/outdoor post processing changes too. And the music, though it seems quieter than the usual volume.

The only thing that really bugged me when testing this is that I was constantly getting caught on lanterns and things when dodging around. They might be a little big to just disable collision on them as they are, but maybe they can be shrunk down or moved a little more out of the way? The map on the whole feels more cramped than I remember it, but that might just be down to UT3's movement style.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out with the smoother edges and modelled textures. Hopefully it'll strike a nice balance between nostalgia for the original and eyecandy, without sacrificing too much of either.

Comment

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
            It's great. I like the fact that you're keeping the original BSP shape intact and just polishing up or adding 3D depth to the textures. Any chance you can make them a little sharper as well? Overlay some subtle stone textures, maybe, just to cover up some of the murkiness.
            I'll try to enhance some of the textures, my aim is to make it look the same but with that extra 3D depth, and meshes etc..

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
            The only thing that really bugged me when testing this is that I was constantly getting caught on lanterns and things when dodging around. They might be a little big to just disable collision on them as they are, but maybe they can be shrunk down or moved a little more out of the way? The map on the whole feels more cramped than I remember it, but that might just be down to UT3's movement style.
            The lanterns are slightly annoying, you can crouch under them but yes they kind of get in the way - some more than others. I will do something to make this better.

Looking at the original and this one side-by-side, this looks a lot more narrow (but height looks about the same?!)- but movement wise it's basically identical (if I stand in a tunnel in both and move sideways at the same time, I hit the wall at the same it seems).
            It's quite hard to tell, it might need to be scaled up very slightly purely because of UT3 speed but I think it is extremely close movement wise.

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
              One of my all time favourites.. I'm keeping this one close to the original
              Sweeeeet!

and then I will make an Extended version with some new areas (including the ability to get on the roof / outside).
              Oh lawds, is I in heaven?

Anyway, dl'ing...

Comment

Looking nice. I hope this turns out well.

Comment

Firstly I'd like to thank you for recreating this map.

I make the following comments, keeping in mind that this map is still in development:

[1] Some of the corridors are too tight. For example, up near the Biorifle. There have been a lot of maps made that I feel are way too tight, so I encourage you in the most friendly way to consider this fact.

[2] Agreed that the lanterns get in the way.

[3] Obviously lighting is not your major concern atm, but keep in mind that one of the things that made this original map so special was its atmosphere. However, I'd hate to see the lighting go over-the-top. One of the things I especially dislike is people placing every possible new effect that they can get their hands on in a UT3 map. I also think it's a mistake to think that simply making a map dark is adding atmos. But these comments are not directed at you - I'm just giving generalised opinions.

[4] I encourage you to strike a really good balance between what the map originally was and what the newer engine can do. Yes that's a very vague comment. Just be very careful to concentrate on scale and lighting. Yes, adding a few better textures or more polys is a great idea too.

[5] Be very careful with the post-processing effects. Like a lot of things, you should perhaps not notice it unless you switched it off - if that makes sense.

Most of all, I think you've made a good start and I look forward to seeing what else you can do with this map.

Comment

Originally posted by sinx View Post
                    I make the following comments, keeping in mind that this map is still in development: ...
                    Always great to get feedback, especially when it's constructive. Thanks!

Early stages yes, but you've given me some good inspiration for the direction I should take it (in a general way - don't worry I think I know where you're coming from!), and I will certainly try to take the care to get it right!

With the post-process effects, I admit in it's current form it is slightly over the top (for my own taste) - at this stage I'm just playing around with ideas, and really just seeing what works and what doesnt. I've actually got a number of options (behind the scenes I guess you would say).
                    I'm not sure if it was left there, but I think if you type "causeevent ppoff" it will enable a different post-proc theme (dont know which one).

I think I'll scale the entire map up *ever so slightly*. It's a hard call though, I have both the UT99 and this one side by side (2 screens, 2 computers) and I can clearly see for example that UT99 looks wider.. but not really higher.
                    I'm probably aiming closer to gameplay feel than exact scale appearance, because UT3 is slightly faster movement it requires a bit of judgement..
                    Hopefully I can strike the right balance as you said, and I'll definately be looking for some feedback as I progress..

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
                      Always great to get feedback, especially when it's constructive. Thanks!

Early stages yes, but you've given me some good inspiration for the direction I should take it (in a general way - don't worry I think I know where you're coming from!), and I will certainly try to take the care to get it right!

With the post-process effects, I admit in it's current form it is slightly over the top (for my own taste) - at this stage I'm just playing around with ideas, and really just seeing what works and what doesnt. I've actually got a number of options (behind the scenes I guess you would say).
                      I'm not sure if it was left there, but I think if you type "causeevent ppoff" it will enable a different post-proc theme (dont know which one).

I think I'll scale the entire map up *ever so slightly*. It's a hard call though, I have both the UT99 and this one side by side (2 screens, 2 computers) and I can clearly see for example that UT99 looks wider.. but not really higher.
                      I'm probably aiming closer to gameplay feel than exact scale appearance, because UT3 is slightly faster movement it requires a bit of judgement..
                      Hopefully I can strike the right balance as you said, and I'll definately be looking for some feedback as I progress..

Thanks again
                      What you have said is spot on! It's great that you've recognised that the gameplay differences between UT99 and UT3 mean that you can't duplicate a map 1:1 scale.

I think up-scaling slightly is a really good move. I played through it with a friend and we got the overall feeling that it was a bit too tight, especially when double-dodging - which is obviously a big gameplay difference between UT99 and UT3. If you're double-dodging and constantly hitting walls then it becomes a bit constrictive.

You're on the right track and I really look forward to seeing where you go with this!

Comment

i love this map in UT1.
                        Big thx for remake, bro
                        Keep it up

Comment

Personally, I think you should use a few meshes as possible to keep it clean. Sometimes, simple is just as good looking as maps that are soclutteredthatIcan'tseesquat. ; )

Oh wait, it original song is already in there, but it's a bit on the soft side conpared to the the rest of the sounds.

Comment

Super sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewofDoom View Post
                              Personally, I think you should use a few meshes as possible to keep it clean. Sometimes, simple is just as good looking as maps that are soclutteredthatIcan'tseesquat. ; )

Oh wait, it original song is already in there, but it's a bit on the soft side conpared to the the rest of the sounds.
                              I agree about the meshes, I'm going to use meshes to bring out some of the detail in the textures (e.g statues, stone walls, etc..) but I plan for it to be suttle - hopefully just to add a bit of extra depth without affecting the general look.

With the music, yes it's a bit quiet this is fixed in Beta 2 hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X