Clear All

DM/DOM-Excavation [WIP] My 1st DM Map!

Name: DM-Excavation

Version: Work In Progress

Compatibility: Ut3 Patch 1.2

Description:
    Egyptian Theme. More Coming Soon!

Comments:
    well... i got the mappin itch again. i figured this would be a good time to make my first DM map. so being this is my first DM map, i will be needing a lot of help with layout, weapon placement, ect,ect. i should have beta ready by next weekend. all comments are welcomed!

Screenshot: July 20, 2008

screenshots are early alpha!

[shot]http://wolvy.net/images/wolv/excavation.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://wolvy.net/images/wolv/excavation0.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://wolvy.net/images/wolv/excavation1.jpg[/shot]

Credits: Coming Soon!

Homepage: www.wolvy.net

Download: Coming Soon PC and PS3

Very nice start. Can't wait to give it a shot!

Comment

Two things:

1. You say that the layout and weapon placement needs help, why then have you started meshing? It only makes it harder to fix layout if you've already started meshing.

2. It looks very bland and colorless (which is okay for alpha, and I don't mean to contradict my prior statement) so in the future when it come time to mesh, add some colorful trim or banners and such.

I will probably be helping along the way with this one (as I love the egyptian themed maps from the earlier UT games).

Comment

Originally posted by sheld0n View Post
        Very nice start. Can't wait to give it a shot!
        roger that, hopefully this week you'll get the chance.

Originally posted by Mclogenog View Post
        Two things:

1. You say that the layout and weapon placement needs help, why then have you started meshing? It only makes it harder to fix layout if you've already started meshing.

2. It looks very bland and colorless (which is okay for alpha, and I don't mean to contradict my prior statement) so in the future when it come time to mesh, add some colorful trim or banners and such.

I will probably be helping along the way with this one (as I love the egyptian themed maps from the earlier UT games).

1. if i don't add mesh, i don't have a map. being most of the map is mesh. and i don't mind changing things around.

2.like i said in screenies, its still alpha. i still have work to do.most of the eye candy will be last on the list, its basic now

thanks for the comments, and I'll be looking forward to the help.

Comment

hmm, perhaps you didn't quite understand what I said.

Here are a few quotes that should reiterate what I said, though from a voice of more experience:

"Make sure you shell out your map thoroughly in BSP first. Don't add any meshes or tinker with lighting. Just throw in massive point lights and keep it simple in BSP only for the prototyping. If it's fun as bright checkered BSP, it'll be even more fun when you make it pretty."

"When starting a level, no matter what the game-type it is always best to ‘shell out’ the gameplay before you start on any visual work. With BSP and very few static meshes, quickly flush out the entire level to a point where you can play the level and see how fun it is. If it’s not fun before visual work, it’s not going to be fun after, and since visual work in UE3 can take the bulk of the level work time, you want to be sure you get your level as fun as possible before you start so you don’t waste a lot of time re-meshing and lighting to accommodate game-play changes."

Both of these quotes are by Epic Games members, and I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Hope that helps.

Comment

i can help u wit weapon placement.
            plz msg me when dl is ready to go

cant wait till beta... vn theme

Comment

Finally an egyptian themed map, and it looks really good so far!

I will definitely keep an eye on this.

Comment

Are those custom static meshes? o_O

Oooh if only I had a package full of egyptian meshes etc..

Comment

Wolverine Your back! And with what looks like an awesome map! I love the theme and colouring! Awesome work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mclogenog View Post
                    hmm, perhaps you didn't quite understand what I said.

Here are a few quotes that should reiterate what I said, though from a voice of more experience:

"Make sure you shell out your map thoroughly in BSP first. Don't add any meshes or tinker with lighting. Just throw in massive point lights and keep it simple in BSP only for the prototyping. If it's fun as bright checkered BSP, it'll be even more fun when you make it pretty."

"When starting a level, no matter what the game-type it is always best to ‘shell out’ the gameplay before you start on any visual work. With BSP and very few static meshes, quickly flush out the entire level to a point where you can play the level and see how fun it is. If it’s not fun before visual work, it’s not going to be fun after, and since visual work in UE3 can take the bulk of the level work time, you want to be sure you get your level as fun as possible before you start so you don’t waste a lot of time re-meshing and lighting to accommodate game-play changes."

Both of these quotes are by Epic Games members, and I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Hope that helps.
                    i don't disagree with what you're saying. how ever, I've been mapping for over 8 years now, and it's what I'm comfortable with. besides these days mapping motivation is hard to come by. for me bsp = no motivation..lol

hope that clears things up for you

Originally posted by KamilR View Post
                    i can help u wit weapon placement.
                    plz msg me when dl is ready to go

cant wait till beta... vn theme

thank you, looking forward to it!

Originally posted by Thrallala View Post
                    Finally an egyptian themed map, and it looks really good so far!

I will definitely keep an eye on this.

thank you!

Originally posted by Kiyoka View Post
                    Are those custom static meshes? o_O

Oooh if only I had a package full of egyptian meshes etc..
                    some are, and others are from 2k4, how ever i've fixed the 2k4 once to be more ut3ish. most of the status are around 10k polys now they don't look 2k4ish..

Originally posted by LtClifff View Post
                    Wolverine Your back! And with what looks like an awesome map! I love the theme and colouring! Awesome work.
                    Thanks man, looking forward to your feedback as soon as i get the beta out

Comment

cant wait to try that

Comment

Wolverine how do u convert UT2K4 meshes onto UT3. I 'm working on some DOM maps and it would be a great help. by the way your map is looking awome

Comment

Egyptian theme...NICE!!
                          Looking forward to seeing ya map!

Comment

Finaly some egyptian materials this is the first map to have these

Comment

Originally posted by WoLvErInE View Post
                              some are, and others are from 2k4, how ever i've fixed the 2k4 once to be more ut3ish. most of the status are around 10k polys now they don't look 2k4ish..
                              Interesting.. *goes to scout for 2K4 meshes*

Comment

Working...
                              X