No announcement yet.

VCTF-TheConundrum-Beta2 [PC] [Beta] [Pics] [Updated]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, Beta2 now available, let me know if the problems still arise. Cheers.

Available here : http://files.filefront.com/VCTF+TheC.../fileinfo.html

Comment

Looks great, OffTheRails was a ton of fun and I can't wait until a PS3 cooked version is released so I can try this out too.

Comment

Thanks Tailsnake, to be honest, if you have the facility to cook this for PS3 in it's beta form then go ahead, just keep the Beta and version number on the name for now. It would be great to get some feedback from the PS3 community with beta's. If you do manage to cook it successfully, then PM me a link, and I'll host it on my Filefront page. : )

Comment

You ALWAYS should cook a map before releasing it to the public. Uncooked maps make it so no one can join unless they have the map installed and uncooked maps lag like crazy online.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumple View Post
            You ALWAYS should cook a map before releasing it to the public. Uncooked maps make it so no one can join unless they have the map installed and uncooked maps lag like crazy online.
            I'll bear that in mind in future, thanks.

Just a word of note, I had problems when I cooked OffTheRails, with meshes completely disappearing, so I left it uncooked in the release version, and there's not been any complaints so far. Redirects work fine too, I've been hosting my stuff on the Royal Server when testing, and have always used uncooked maps when testing, mainly to reduce the filesize. People have been able to join with no problems too, so I suspect the issues some people are experiencing are related to either the mods/muts or indeed patch 3 incompatibilities.

From a post on the UT3 servers email list:

Matt Oelfke of Epic Games wrote:
            "The filesize reduction most people see is primarily compression (approximately equal to what the compress commandlet would do on the uncooked package) - in general, cooked packages are larger than their uncooked counterparts because of asset duplication (i.e. if you use any Epic assets, they will have some of their data baked into the map file instead of remaining in the separate packages).

I've said several times that I think it's only worth cooking if you're using significant custom content, but it appears most aren't bothering to deal with the distinction since, among other things, cooking also automatically puts files in the right places (partially our fault for a bad interface). "

It would be nice if someone from Epic could clear this issue up, but yes, I will cook all public releases if possible in future.

Comment

Hi there, we noticed you have been working hard on this beta, and we would like to feature it in the vctf bbq II, which is Saturday and Sunday, August 9th and 10th.

Do you think you have enough time to get everything polished up by the 3rd of August, so we could get it in the map pack and feature it in the event?

I don't know if you made it to the last one but it was awesome, and full of all types of players from the community. Everyone had a great time, and we would like to make you a part of it.

So if there is anything (server to beta on, people to beta for you, mirror, whatever) we can do to help out, let us know! We want this map in the bbq II !

Here is the thread for the NEW bbq II:
              http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=618410

Here is the thread for the last bbq:
              http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=615150

Comment

yea this map is like another necris theme thats looks liek to me a good map

Comment

This maps looks stunning o.0 gj man

Comment

Hey Plugh just checking to see how things are going. Any major issues to work out? This one is beautiful and we want it!

Comment

Hey man, things are going ok, I had a week away from it (I hadn't had a break since I began OffTheRails), last few days I've added more details, finished off a lot of the rough edges done some tweaking and optimising, and am currently adding more detail to finish it off. Final should be ready next week sometime, hopefully.
                      I haven't had any responses on Beta2 as to whether it's working ok or not on the servers which had problems with Beta1, so I can only assume it's fine, please let me know either way! There's been quite a few issues recently with maps cooked on 1.3 not working on 1.2, and vice versa, I'm sure epic will sort this out though by the time 1.3 is official.

Comment

Originally posted by plugh View Post
                        I'm sure epic will sort this out though by the time 1.3 is official.
                        Hahahaha! Oh. You were serious?

Comment

I always try to be positive about everything in life, otherwise I'd have given up by now ; )

Comment

Working...
                          X