• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Kryos [Beta][Pics][Download]

NameM-Kryos
    Version: Beta 3
    Compatibility: Patch 1.2
    Description: With the advent of hacked spawners came a new wave of crime, as execution was no longer a deterrent to the most heinous acts of evil. In order to maintain control over the population and ensure safety for their citizens, a new ultimate punishment was enacted: Indefinate Cryostasis. Facilities like this house hundreds of "inmates" and come with a bonus. In times of war, there are no shortages of footsoldiers.

Comments:
    Hey all!

Got a working beta of my 3dbuzz entry ready, and thought I would share it to see what people thought. It still needs a few visual tweaks here and there, some skybox work and optimizing, but the rest is there. Its a larger DM map, and should be good for nearly 10 players.

Here's my development thread, I'll be updating that tomorrow with a bunch, but thought I'd link it anyway.

No PS3 link at this time, but since there's nothing custom in this, it will come at release time (if someone wants to cook it then).

Screenshot:

Some screens for your viewing pleasure:
    [SCREENSHOT]http://wat.midco.net/dogmeat15/ScreenShot00014.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://wat.midco.net/dogmeat15/ScreenShot00015.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
    [SCREENSHOT]http://wat.midco.net/dogmeat15/ScreenShot00016.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://wat.midco.net/dogmeat15/ScreenShot00017.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
    [SCREENSHOT]http://wat.midco.net/dogmeat15/ScreenShot00018.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Credits:
    The makers of Black Velvet Special Reserve. (It's been a heckuva month at work, and to cram this in with it, omg! Thank you!)
    Clan Ci, Every one of those clowns!
    Epic, for this game.
    My wife and son for allowing me to pour my time into it this month.
    Download:

Download DM-Kryos

Larger DM map, eh? Downloading!

Comment

The main things I would say that need to be done is enlarging that skybox - sorting out that blank room through the windowed area and perhaps adding a physics volume over the conveyer belt so that you move along it.

Comment

Last nite I started on that windowed area. That's gonna take some time, as my original vision for it absolutely destroys framerates, so to pull it off I'm gonna have to do a few things with it. Ill post screens of it, as I think itll rock if I can pull it off... I'll post a screen of what I have tonite after I get this submitted for the contest. Its going in as a beta, as I dont want to do the version, and have more to do to finish this one.

I had never once thought of actually having the converyor move players. I'm not sure I want that, but maybe then I need to get the material to not move... I dont think that would add a lot to gameplay, would it?

Comment

Download link has been updated with a new version. Lighting has been addressed somewhat since the last, as well as some general meshing fixes and skybox's somewhat addressed.

Work will continue on this one..

Comment

Found a pretty serious collision issue with a fog sheet, version # to beta5.

Link to be updated shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by d3tox View Post
              I had never once thought of actually having the converyor move players. I'm not sure I want that, but maybe then I need to get the material to not move... I dont think that would add a lot to gameplay, would it?
              I dunno - it adds to realism I think and provides another factor. If you stand on the conveyer in CarbonFire you move so its an Epic thing to do

Also I dunno how the framrates would be so high yet the map file is so small >_<

All my maps have been >20Mb - my latest being 40Mb and I don't get framerate issues to my knowledge. What was your original idea and how did you go about it?

EDIT: Latest version needs your lighting rebuilt.

Comment

This shot shows a lot of what I was planning to pull off. Basically making that window an observation deck of sorts, and having the conveyor run out here, along with some mech type stuuf, and the inmates hanging from the racks. I think it has something to do with the number of meshes I'm cramming into it. When I move those tubes torwards the windows like I have them now, the frame rates get better by the windows. At this point the only place I think it affects too much is where both windows are visible. Midway through the room this is probably the issue....

Comment

Nice mesh selection and lightning, I remember you posted that over the BU WIP thread.

Comment

Thanks!

Updated the link... beta5.1. just fixes a couple issues with lighting not being rebuilt and an issue with the skybox (What little is there).

Still looking for feedback on this, some say parts of this have a 2k4 feel, but that it works. Chime in people!

Comment

an issue with the skybox (What little is there).
                      Well, if you haven't already, you should increase the size of the skybox by around 200 and move the buildings further back and increase them in size too. UED3 has no drawlimit so you can place distinct objects in the distance at their real size. This makes it look a lot more realistic than having them as tiny objects up close.

Comment

Thanks!

Updated the link... beta5.1. just fixes a couple issues with lighting not being rebuilt and an issue with the skybox (What little is there).

Still looking for feedback on this, some say parts of this have a 2k4 feel, but that it works. Chime in people!
                        I like it so far but I have found a few issues.
                        There is a seam below the double damage and above the armor pickup. I think the bsp does not go back far enough.
                        I experience some choppiness in that room too, probably because there are a lot of stasis tubes in view.
                        The conveyor belt does not actually move the player. In that same room, the stairs in the center lead to no where, I don't think it is possible to jump to the higher level from there.
                        The sky box could use a little work. You can see buildings just floating there and the sky dome looks a little too close to small.
                        Other than that the map is pretty solid. Nice theme too.

Comment

Thanks toaster. All of the skybox will be changing. What you see now is more or less a placeholder for my submission.

The seam I did know about, but a good reminder.

What did you think of the scale?

Comment

Thanks toaster. All of the skybox will be changing. What you see now is more or less a placeholder for my submission.

The seam I did know about, but a good reminder.

What did you think of the scale?
                            I think it is pretty good, some hallways maybe feel a little scaled up disproportionately, but not enough to be a big deal. The room with the conveyor belt is maybe my least favorite part. It is long, flat and only has 2 real entrances/exits, each at the far end. Except for spawning there, there isn't much of a reason to go into that room. Maybe if you added ramps that go directly to the higher walkways it would make more flow a little better. I want to see this when it is completed. Keep up the good work.

Comment

There is actually a way to get up to those walkways. Go up the stairs (over the deemer)You can dodge up the glass and wall dodge off the pipes to get to either side.

Comment

Working...
                              X