Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT2D - Crevice BETA 2 [dload + imgs + video]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2D - Crevice BETA 2 [dload + imgs + video]

Name: Crevice
    Version: BETA 1 [released: May 12, 2008]
    Compatibility:
    * UT2D 1.0
    * PC - UT3 1.2

Credits: Sonic Wallpaper = map desgin and UT2004 Theme remix; Epic, everything else

Description: The crevice is filled with pathways, and tunnels, with water at the bottom and rusty metal platforms above ground. This uses the very cool UT2D mod, which converts UT3 into a '2D scroller' style game. If you do not have UT2D 1.0 installed, download it and install it - you'll find a few other UT2D maps at the offical UT3 forums.

Download: from unrealplayground.com

Demo Video at YouTube: UT2D - Crevice

Screenshots: from beta 1

Beta 2 Updates
    ============================
    * moved the powerups, making them a little more difficult to get to
    * shifted a few of the rock ledges to help the flow through the map
    * removed 1 of the weapon lockers
    * added blocking volumes on some ledges since the collision isn't very good on some of the rocks
    * cut back the terrain that was under water
    * on the other side of the broken wall is a new metal wall with an electric field
    * added structures above ground that attempt to bridge over the wall
    * moved the flags so the layout isn't linear
    * fixed the weapon collision on the water

Downloading now. I will post back later with feedback.

Comment

This map is HUGE!! I played it the first time with seven bots and it was like playing hide and go seek. I played again with eleven bots and it was definitely easier to find some action. With a higher player count it was a real blast to play!

Some random things I noticed:

I really liked the music remix.

The static mesh for the water surface blocks weapons. I can live with this, but seeing Flak shards bounce off the water confuses me. Possibly set it to no collision?

Feign death in the water will be awesome in multiplayer!!

Above the jump boots and slightly to the left, there is a rock static mesh 'floating' above the ones below it.

The atmosphere is really good, but more ambient sounds would make it better. Possibly a reverb volume for the lowest part of the map.

The UDamage and Invulnerability pickups seem way too close together. Actually, it's not too hard to grab the Invulnerability, Helmet, UDamage, Berserk and Shield Belt in a matter of a few seconds, assuming they are all available at the same time.

Bots move fairly good throughout the map, but get stuck in a few places. Typically it's where the collision of the rocks is a bit wierd, ie players sink partially into the rocks. I'll have to go back and get screenshots.

Not a big fan of the weapon lockers. It kind of defeats the purpose of running around the map to find your favorite weapon.

Although I think UT2D is best played in deathmatch, the flag placement for CTF bothers me. It's a straight run from flag to flag. There's no real incentive to use any part of the map except the bottom floor.

Overall I really liked the map and had fun playing it. I'll be putting this map up on my UT2D server in the morning.

Comment

>>>This map is HUGE!! I played it the first time with seven bots and it was like playing hide and go seek. I played again with eleven bots and it was definitely easier to find some action. With a higher player count it was a real blast to play!

That's what I found too. There's 22 player starts on the map, and 22 players can work - but with bots, they tend to cluster around each other.

>>>I really liked the music remix.

Thank you I hope to release the song as an mp3, not sure if Epic will mind or not.

>>>The static mesh for the water surface blocks weapons. I can live with this, but seeing Flak shards bounce off the water confuses me. Possibly set it to no collision?

oh no - I never noticed. I'll def. fix this!

>>>Above the jump boots and slightly to the left, there is a rock static mesh 'floating' above the ones below it.

Thanks - I'll take a look.

>>>The atmosphere is really good, but more ambient sounds would make it better. Possibly a reverb volume for the lowest part of the map.

ok - I'll see if there's something I can find in the stock sounds that will work.

>>>The UDamage and Invulnerability pickups seem way too close together. Actually, it's not too hard to grab the Invulnerability, Helmet, UDamage, Berserk and Shield Belt in a matter of a few seconds, assuming they are all available at the same time.

This is true, and I've been trying to figure out if it's really a bad thing. On a normal map, I would say yes, but for some reason, it just seems to apply with the 2D scroller style/environment. I'm sure most won't agree with me on that, so I'll make them less accessible.

>>>Bots move fairly good throughout the map, but get stuck in a few places. Typically it's where the collision of the rocks is a bit wierd, ie players sink partially into the rocks. I'll have to go back and get screenshots.

I'll see if I can fix some of those cases - but the general problem, is that the collision and the rocks are stock - and while the rocks... rock, the collision on some of them isn't very good. What I had to do in a few places, was remove collision, and add blocking volumes to simulate the collision. I'd rather not go through the process of creating my own rocks and collision - this was just for fun to see how mapping for UT2D worked.

>>>Not a big fan of the weapon lockers. It kind of defeats the purpose of running around the map to find your favorite weapon.

I think I'll just remove 1 of them - and keep the the one at the very top.

>>>Although I think UT2D is best played in deathmatch, the flag placement for CTF bothers me. It's a straight run from flag to flag. There's no real incentive to use any part of the map except the bottom floor.

You are correct. I'll move the flags up to the next 'level' in the rock ledges, possibly pull them in a bit too.

>>>Overall I really liked the map and had fun playing it. I'll be putting this map up on my UT2D server in the morning.

Excellent. I can't wait to play against others on the map Thank you for the download and feedback. I'll be sure to update this thread once a new Beta is out.

Comment

This map is now in rotation on my server

Comment

Looking sexy, downloading and testing once i get home from work...=D

Comment

I've had some people ask me about getting the MOD installed so you can play UT2D maps. The mod thread is setup more for map makers - not people who just want to play. So - here's some directions that should get you going:

UT2D Download: http://files.filefront.com/UT2D+10zi.../fileinfo.html

Installation:
              ===========================================
              1. the UT2D-1.0.zip file will contain a folder and a PS3 JAM file. If you don't have a PS3, just delete the JAM file.

2. The folder is /UTGame - You'll need to navigate on your PC to the location of your "My Games" folder. I'm on Vista, so I'm not sure where XP places it - but on Vista - it would be like this:

C:\Users\YourVistaUserName\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame

3. Now copy the UTGame directory from the zip to the above location.

4. Launch the game - and you should now see the UT2D gametypes listed where you select the game type.

If you are downloading maps, etc. frequently, the best thing to do is create a shortcut on your desktop to this location. Any custom content will be stored below \UTGame - for example - custom maps go here:

C:\Users\YourVistaUserName\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

Comment

BETA 2 has been released! Thank you to FrontAXL for the feedback - you'll see I applied some of your suggestions and fixes.

Beta 2 Updates
                ============================
                * moved the powerups, making them a little more difficult to get to
                * shifted a few of the rock ledges to help the flow through the map
                * removed 1 of the weapon lockers
                * added blocking volumes on some ledges since the collision isn't very good on some of the rocks
                * cut back the terrain that was under water
                * on the other side of the broken wall is a new metal wall with an electric field
                * added structures above ground that attempt to bridge over the wall
                * moved the flags so the layout isn't linear
                * fixed the weapon collision on the water

Comment

Any chance of a PS3 cook?

Looks absolutely incredible!

Comment

>>Any chance of a PS3 cook?

Yes - but not until I'm on the last beta version for the PC. The reason being, is that this uses custom music and the PS3 doesn't support custom music. I don't want to manage 2 versions of the map file - so once the PC one is done, I can swap the music, save a PS3 copy and cook.

>> Looks absolutely incredible!

Why thank you - glad you like it. This is 100% Epic content - I just remixed it into this map. I have another map that is nearly done in my sig - that one has a PS3 version available.

Comment

Just downloaded. Will check it out tomorrow when I have a little more time.

Comment

Working...
                      X