• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAR-MoltenCore-Beta1 [PC] [Pics] [Download]

Title: WAR-MoltenCore
    Version: Beta 1
    Compatibility: Patch 1.2
    Description: The battle for the core now wages across fields of molten lava.
    Comments: My First Map
    Dedicated Server Admins pm me with your server details if you add WAR-Moltencore to your server to be added to the server list.
    There are NO plans for a PS3 version at this time
    Screenshots:

Additional Credits: Filter Forge for the awesome lava textures -http://www.filterforge.com
    Hourences for the all the Tutorials - http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.htm
    DGUnreal & Epic for making the skydome Texture & Mesh available - http://www.lilchips.com/dgunreal/ut3-skies.asp
    Homepage: myspace.com/smokeringhalo
    Download - Filefront

9.4 out of 10 - Filefront Rating Score
    Second Place Winner - Best Warfare Level category MSUC Phase 1

Server List:
    [BGE] UT3 Warfare Server #2 - Dallas
    IP: 8.12.69.213:7777

FINAL VERSION PROGRESS
    * - Deleted NEC Lights from Walkways effectively eliminating 720,192 Instance triangles
    * - Adjusted Lighting on Cave Rock Meshes
    * - Changed detail mode on scattered rocks to high & set collision to none.
    * - Removed collision from most decorative floor tiles
    * - Did a blocking volume pass on East and west nodes bases & altered their collision to block weapons
    * - Lowered Bloom scale by 33%
    * - Adding Blocking volumes around fire brazier meshes in bases
    * - Deleted all UT defense Points
    * - Removed upper blocking volume & set a stallz at an increased height
    * - Fixed small holes in terrain
    * - Removed Orb Locker from South Hellfire Node
    * - Relocated Core Bases Orb Lockers
    * - Increased Lava Volume Damage from 25 per sec to 100 & made it destructive.
    * - Placed Skybox Actors in their own Lighting Channel
    * - Removed Occlusion from skybox actors
    * - Cull volume no longer affects skybox actors or upper tower supports
    * - Adjusted emitters below Cores
    * - Altered Lava Bubble Emitter
    * - Optimized Lava Shader
    * - Doubled Countdown Node time to 120 secs
    * - Increased Countdown Node Damage to Cores from 15 to 20
    * - Added Alternate paths to countdown node (floating rock movers)
    * - Replaced SuperHealth Pickups with Armor Vest Pickups
    * - Replaced Armor Vest Pickups with Shock Rifle Pickup + Ammo x 2
    * - Moved Core Bases Scorpion & Scavenger Spawns
    * - Aligned Walkways by Countdown Node & Fixed "Vehicle Roast" Bug
    * - Removed Barricade & Replaced with door that only opens for the team controlling the countdown node
    * - Lowered Lightmap resolutions of meshes
    * - Complete Lighting Overhaul
    * - Removed Extra Link Setup (AxonvsNecris) & Assets
    * - Added Eradicator Cannons
    * - Replaced Scavengers with StealthBenders
    * - Moved Scavengers to South Hellfire Node
    * - Added Furys to Core Bases
    * - Added Jumppads to Beserk & Udamage Powerups
    * - Added 4 additional player starts at Raptor / Fury spawns per team
    * - Added 7 player starts near Rocket Turret above Cores per team
    * - Replaced UTTeamStaticMesh podiums with UTStaticMesh podiums @ nodes.
    * - Added Hoverboard boost ramps between Prime nodes to East & West Nodes

11/09/11
    * - Terrain Adjustments
    * - Added blocking volumes around core base podiums & set collisions to block weapons
    * - Added physics volumes around brazier fires in bases & set damage to 20 per sec
    * - Kismet sequence: Node podiums now change according to team control
    * - Kismet sequence: Team meshes around gate change according to team controlling countdown node
    * - Replaced Redeemer with satchel charge
    * - Replaced satchel charge with spider mine deployable
    * - Added various deployables
    * - Removed shield belt from center map & added 1 per base on stairs leading to raptor/fury spawns
    * - Replaced invulnerability pick up w/ Redeemer & added 1 invulnerability per base per way of lava movers
    * - Added invisibility pickup
    * - Kismet Sequence / Leviathans only spawn when enemy East or West Nodes are captured
    * - Added Superhealth above gate
    * - Added jumpads above gate & near Redeemer spawn
    * - Added jumppad in core bases to raptor/fury spawns

Sweet, can't wait for a download link

Comment

looks very nice!
      downloading now!

Comment

Ok, I just played it (without bots) it looks pretty good, but I do have some bugs to report and some suggestions for improvement. So here goes:

[shot]http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/1069/screenshot00064fu3.jpg[/shot]
        (I really don't like these light meshes, sorry )

[shot]http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2586/screenshot00067ah6.jpg[/shot]
        (As you probably can see here, the materials for those rocks doesn't really look good, and the rocks above the cave mesh looks really out of place)

[shot]http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/4601/screenshot00068is2.jpg[/shot]
        (I want more small rocks like these scattered throughout the terrain, they make the terrain look less plain and boring)

[shot]http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/6162/screenshot00069xp5.jpg[/shot]
        (Here's an invisible wall, it goes all the way from the bottom of those stairs to the top of the stairs)

[shot]http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/2834/screenshot00071at0.jpg[/shot]
        (I need to jump in order to get over that border, which I don't really like)

[shot]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/2396/screenshot00072jw9.jpg[/shot]
        (I captured the countdown node and headed to the blue core so that I could check what would happen, I followed the core down to the lava and noticed that I could see the stairs and much else from beneath, also... I couldn't get up once the core had gone up again. I suggest that noone else than the core should be able to go down there.)

Oh and you should probably lower the bloom effect (yes, I know you said that the lava would look bad then, but there's way too much bloom).

The lava material looks kinda low-res and flat and the terrain layers are to small and well, there's too much blurry stuff (heat disortion or whatever it's called) in the map.

Those brazier meshes doesn't have a collision which they probably should .

Other than that, the map looks very good, it has a good layout, an original theme (atleast for UT3, there's a serious lack of lava maps) and the ashfall effect looks fantastic.

Please note that I did not make this comment to make you mad or anything like that, just to help you improve the map.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrallala View Post
          Ok, I just played it (without bots) it looks pretty good, but I do have some bugs to report and some suggestions for improvement. So here goes:
          I am aware of most of the issues you mentioned with the map but felt it was playable enough for a beta release.

I already removed the NEC light meshes from the lower walkways. I may end up removing the rest to cut back on polys.

Many of the textures used aren't as high-res as Epics. If they were, the map would be well over the 90 mb it is now. The rocks above the cave look different because they aren't accepting dynamic lights. I will look into making everything blend better for final release.

I used the small rocks sparingly to save polys. If the NEC lights end up being removed then I may be able to afford more rocks.

I am aware of the "invisible wall" & the node border.

Players should die if the fall into the core pits & I thought I had seled up the ceiling. Perhaps I overlooked the blue side. Jump in the red pit and see if it differs. This issue will be fixed.

The lava material was a last minute fix because after months of building and looking great, upon cooking the map, the lava shader gave off a very harsh hall of mirrors effect. I had to do some last minute surgery to the material which solve the issue but made the lava look much more bland. It will be addressed.

Not sure which meshes you are referring to that need collision.

The ashfall does look good. So good that I put it through the entire map which turned it from good to extremely irritating.

Thx for the feedback

Comment

Map is awesome! Reminds me Lava Giant

Comment

"Not sure which meshes you are referring to that need collision."
              [shot]http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/3806/braziertv4.jpg[/shot]

also

[shot]http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1690/lavatb8.jpg[/shot]
              you see that black things in the lava, some emitter effect I think... it doesn't look very good

anyway, I really like this map and it's about **** time UT3 gets some lava themed maps. I hope you can get most issues fixed so that the map can be even better than it already is.

I'll probably run it with bots tonight and see if I can find any bot problems other than the ones you already mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrallala View Post
                I'll probably run it with bots tonight and see if I can find any bot problems other than the ones you already mentioned.
                I'll save you the trouble.
                Bots won't hover over lava, they will get the levi and spma stuck, they will drive anything over the scorpion ramp except scorpions which they like to leave at the base of the core stairs. They will occasionally get stuck themselves if blasted off a walkway. Other than that they navigate fairly well. And they can own if you crank up their difficulty to masterful or above.The map was pathed and repathed numerous times over the past six months. The nature of the design and environment isn't very path friendly.

That said, I wouldn't expect an update for some time, at least until patch 1.3. My frustration with this map has burnt me out and I felt that if I didn't release something very soon despite its numerous imperfections, I never would.

Comment

Normally I would wait to find out, but since you dont plan on any updates for a good while is there a ps3 version in the forseeable future. I just want to know so I can see whether to keep my eye out for this now or later.

Comment

Originally posted by NyghtcrawleR View Post
                    Normally I would wait to find out, but since you dont plan on any updates for a good while is there a ps3 version in the forseeable future. I just want to know so I can see whether to keep my eye out for this now or later.
                    Same here my PS3 clan run custom mods 24/7 on 2 servers. We look forward to testing new things. We could help with this if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by NyghtcrawleR View Post
                      Normally I would wait to find out, but since you dont plan on any updates for a good while is there a ps3 version in the forseeable future.
                      There are no plans for a PS3 version at this time & I probably should amend the map description to reflect this even though I thought using the blue icon would be enough. I don't mean to be so polarizing, but the truth is I don't feel comfortable cooking and releasing a map for a platform that I myself do not own. You can see how my thoroughly tested first map has already, if not immediately, come under heavy criticism. If I cooked for PS3 without being able to test it and it didn't work, just imagine the flak I would get.
                      Now if someone wants to send me a working PS3 (new or used, I'm not that picky) then I would be more than happy to cook, test, and release for PS3. But until that time, I don't see it happening in the near future.

Comment

i also checked it out: i like the new and original design, but there is one thing which really bothered me:
                        the bots almost do nothing: they dont steal, destroy or create nodes... i guess this has to do with the botpathing...

Comment

Originally posted by Coreper View Post
                          i also checked it out: i like the new and original design, but there is one thing which really bothered me:
                          the bots almost do nothing: they dont steal, destroy or create nodes... i guess this has to do with the botpathing...
                          Not sure about stealing, but the bots should destroy, create & defend nodes. Don't go for the nodes yourself and you should see nodes going up as well as bots attacking nodes. If a bot is stationary then most likely he is at a defense point.

Comment

You can also post your map on www.justwarfare.com, the european warfare site. With many good members which will test your map

Comment

Originally posted by Oliebol View Post
                              You can also post your map on www.justwarfare.com, the european warfare site. With many good members which will test your map
                              Will do, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X