Cylon Centurion Character BSG!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c0113tt3 View Post
    Yes, we all know the ps3 has its faults, problems etc... but 90 percent of maps, mods, mutators, characters work flawlessly and fine.

The author has stated he wants a ps3 version of his character, but yet Anuban's statements are biased towards avoiding ps3, why is this? and why do I also notice this in other threads too?

The very vast majority of users are ps3 users, so by not possibly doing a ps3 version very much restricts enjoyment of the authors work, the only real question to ask the author, is that by doing a ps3 version it may be flawless, it may have very minor issues, thats all.

Which all the ps3 users do not mind in the slightest and are very greatfull for such a wonderfull character, and very much appreciative for the work of the author.

As for a similar comparison to this situation, all platforms (consoles / pcs) have restrictions, but does this stop anyone including game houses such as epic to not release on varying platforms, each with their own individual faults / problems? No it doesn't stop mappers / modders / gamehouses, because the issues are minor only.

Please release for the ps3, thanks.
    I fail to see how my statements are biased when I am not only telling the truth but I actually bothered to cook it in the first place and test it out? I even told him it was his decision and if he still wanted it fine and yet this is what I get? See this is why I am so done with this community and why I just won't do anything for the PS3 portion of this community any more. It just isn't worth it when no matter what I do and how sound my logic is and its clear that I am NOT the one making the model work incorrectly on the PS3 someone will still accuse me of such childish and irrational behavior. So for any model authors who I offered to cook for or give links to models I have cooked I am sorry but I am out of the loop for good now.

Good luck dealing with PS3 folks that just cannot understand logic and put their own selfish desires ahead of the vision of the artist and what platform that modder thinks is best for his/her model. I mean think about it ... here you have someone who does not care that a robot especially a Cylon would never sound like a human nor bleed and gib flesh and bones and it would look shiny like metal not flat like cloth ... which it does (I know since I cooked it. ) and yet they just want it and he thinks these are "minor issues" .. not having FPV arms, or custom ANYTHING and having someone who makes models for a living download this (or is in some way professionally involved with the game development/publishing industry) and not understand the issue possibly dismiss the model as a good effort but really all wrong and somewhat noobish. Maybe the person could have influence to you getting a development gig or two or even a permanent industry job ... we all know ... especially artists, how important first impressions are. See I think about things like this because I once led a team of modders so I really understand a lot of the issues involved.

Comment

Yes people... listen to Anuban, because he's right...

Now about the model... really cool
      Feedback, mostly minor issues:
      -Could use some reflections, he looks like plastic
      -His spine is disconnected from the pelvis, you can see that when he's in ragdoll mode and maybe on hoverboard
      -The shoulder pads are a little too stiff and when he raises his arms, they go through them

Ahh... I wish more people would post useful feedback

Comment

To address Anubans concerns, is not part of the thread, but I would like to state a couple of things.

Firstly, I am not a noob, I have a lot more history behind me, than anuban actually knows about me. I go back as "oldskool" amiga days and worked for a large famous software house for a number of years. I then changed jobs, and wanted something more with a career, and have worked for a government department since, and certainly do not display any kind of childish behaviour, considering government department employees behaviour is modified over the years to be exemplar.

Secondly, again anuban expresess his concerns over the problems he has identified, again from a ps3 point of view, these are very minor issues, it does not affect gameplay pleasure in the slightest. From an artist point of view, to an extent I do agree with anuban, due to ps3 restrictions again i state it may be flawless, it may have issues. If you look for perfection, this will not be achievable on the ps3 currently.

Even epic has not perfected Unreal 3 on the pc or ps3 either, as there are updates fixing issues and users have even found issues with epics latest map pack.

Did those issues stop epic releasing unreal 3 for the pc and ps3? No
        Did those issues on the maps stop epic releasing them? No
        Are either of those from epic free of issues / problems ? No
        Is unreal 3 perfect on pc and ps3? No

Perfection is great but very difficult to achieve and from an artist point of view is probably what they want from their work, but really being good enough is sufficient for anyone, even for epic.

Again, the ps3 users do not mind as they understand this as a possible restriction and does not affect gameplay pleasure, and do really want the character models, and again are the vast majority of users and are very appreciative of the author and his work. This is not a selfish point of view, and is completely upto the author of what he feels is best, but by not releasing ps3, restricts his work to a minority of unreal 3 users.

Comment

Thanks for the useful feedback and cool screenshots, I will try to correct any issues I can. I am currently working on a more metallic, reflective texture. I am also trying to increase detail. I am having a tough time getting the materials right in game. It is a tricky system.

As for the shoulderpads, thery aren't really shoulderpad, but part of the torso. The way the cylon is designed the shoulders are rigid, but I will play with this to see if it can be improved.

I will look into the spine/torso thing as well, I can definitely improve that. Just a minor tweak.

If someone send me instructions for cooking on PS3 I will be happy to do it. I had no idea the textures would come up different on the PS3. If there are any tutorials or information which would help make textures more compatible with PS3 please send them to me and I will read it and try to make my character compatible. I am a PS3 owner myself so I have sympathy for all those BSG fans who want this char on their PS3. I boght UT3 for PC because I knew I liked mods and modding. To me the fun of UT3 is about figuring out how to mod, and playing with everyone else's cool mods. The Unreal community is what makes the Unreal games so much fun.

Comment

Heres are some links for cooking ps3:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PS3Mods.html

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=597904

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=597917

If you have any problems, I am sure there is enough people who would be able to give advice. If at any point you want someone to cook the ps3 for you, and if anuban does not get back to you, then just mention in the thread, there are many ps3 cookers who would assist / cook.

Here are some links to help you with custom chars:

http://camink.com/UT3/

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UT3CustomCharacters.html

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UT3ModHome.html

Thanks for supporting ps3 users with your wonderful character, and everyone looks forward to it

Thanks again

Comment

I don't think PS3 owners mind getting a model worst then the PC version, since there's really no way around it. As long as they get it the best way possible for the PS3, even if it's worst then the PC version. I'm sure every PS3 owner agrees (except Anuban as always, but he hates PS3 owners...)

But in the end it's up to the models creator and I don't think Anuban's trying to convince you otherwise (for obvious reasons) should influence you Cylonkiller.

Hopefully some other PS3 cooker will contact you, I know there are a few more around.

Oh btw, great looking model

Comment

Tis indeed, Planning a classic Cylon?

Comment

Originally posted by c0113tt3 View Post
                  Again, the ps3 users do not mind as they understand this as a possible restriction and does not affect gameplay pleasure, and do really want the character models, and again are the vast majority of users and are very appreciative of the author and his work.
                  Last I checked, the difference in sales between the PC and PS3 version were negligible and, as I recall, the PC version had finally surpassed it in sales. Just because it's the side you're on doesn't mean it's the majority.

Comment

i d/led the Cylon centurion a few days ago. Great character, really enjoy playing with it. only one thing i can suggest: High-Poly modelling. No offence, but it needs a little more character... things like small dents and scratches in the paint, and a little abrasion on the metal, things like that to give it a slightly "battle worn" feel

Comment

Originally posted by RanShak View Post
                      Last I checked, the difference in sales between the PC and PS3 version were negligible and, as I recall, the PC version had finally surpassed it in sales. Just because it's the side you're on doesn't mean it's the majority.
                      Looking at the number of people playing online on the PC version and the PS3 version I kinda seriously doubt that. Where did you "check" that btw?

Comment

2 Metalmurphy (read some time later )
                        2 c0113tt3

Anuban is right, stop this PS3 nonsense, we all know that PS3 NOT supporting anything custom (families, fp arms, sounds, ect..) and until Epic fix it you can't have it, not becose of "evil" (nonsense again...) Anuban or someone else who, as you saying "hates" PS3, want not to give PS3 anything good. The only who can fix it IS EPIC, I would like to underline this, and only they by making another patch can make PS3 have custom content. You can continue your speculation about how PC users hate PS3 (totaly nonsense, but not have I sayed that before...) and not willing to give PS3 any cool mutator or model but we just dont have possibility to port any of them as good as they are, they can be ported but they will look lke a **** without their custom shaders, shining ect... So again, only who can help is Epic. Ask them to help, if they will make a path - cool, if not then we can't help you folks, stop starting at us and stop be such ignorant !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Green_Day_584 View Post
                          i d/led the Cylon centurion a few days ago. Great character, really enjoy playing with it. only one thing i can suggest: High-Poly modelling. No offence, but it needs a little more character... things like small dents and scratches in the paint, and a little abrasion on the metal, things like that to give it a slightly "battle worn" feel
                          No need for high poly... a nice normal map can do all that.

Comment

very nice model thanks!!!

Comment

To vzv

Since your location is russia, ill excuse you not quite understanding what I wrote.

Firstly i never referred to anuban hating ps3 or evil nonsense. I just referred to often seeing biased views. From an artist point of view I actually agreed with anuban.

What I did write, if you understood it, is that the models etc.. do not have to be perfect, or as good as the pc, again it is well understood that the ps3 has restrictions. All we can expect is the author, if willing, to port it to ps3 the best he can.

Unreal is far from perfect even on the pc, and so are epic maps / fixes / updates, so nothing is perfect, it just has to be good enough, and that even epic do not release perfection !!

Current working models, though restricted on the ps3, are good enough and increase gameplay pleasure, and do not decrease it, so why the hell not release them on ps3, and anything that improves gameplay is good for everyone, even if restricted.

There are different views / perceptions, and depending on which angle you take, depends on your bias / opinion, but the fact remains its a Game not an art form and in 6 months or 12 months time it will be forgotten about and not played anymore.

Do you know the word perfection is a false hood? What might be perfect today, by tommorrow or next week you have fresh new ideas / influence and even changed tastes !! Being good enough, is sufficient.

I of course understand the artist point of view too, and wish for perfection, but the creation either a map, mod or character is for gameplay. As long as its the best anyone would wish to achieve on whatever platform / restrictions, then that is surely, good enough !!

My opinion is based upon working a a development team leader for a famous software house back in old skool amiga days, and obviously the logic of working as a manager in a government department.

Comment

Carefull c0113tt3, Flak might ban you with no warning for having such an opinion...

I agree with you 100% btw, since is Cylonkiller ok with a PS3 version, there shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X