• Time
  • Show
Clear All

TalkingIcon[Pics][Beta1][15-4-08]

Name: Talking Icon
    Version: v1.0 beta1
    Compatibility: Unreal Tournament 3 - Patch 1.2

Description:
    A simple mutator for visibly notifying players when someone is typing.
    Coded on request for Captain_Tea

This mutator can be reconfigured (both serverside and clientside) to change the icon displayed when a player is talking, and clients can enable/disable the display of all icons, as well as other players visibility of his/her own icon.

Comments:
    The clientside console commands return without hitting enter; this is a design limitation.
    If you come across any problems, please post them here.

Screenshot:
    [shot]http://homepage.eircom.net/~JBarrett847/ScreenShot00003.jpg[/shot][shot]http://homepage.eircom.net/~JBarrett847/ScreenShot00005.jpg[/shot]

Credits: John "Shambler" Barrett (me)

Download: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=612073

If you cook this for the ps3 I will be indebted to you. I hate not knowing who is talking and wish epic would have let people see that by default...

Comment

Nice job!!!

Comment

I owe you one , thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by NyghtcrawleR View Post
          If you cook this for the ps3 I will be indebted to you. I hate not knowing who is talking and wish epic would have let people see that by default...
          I might do once it's fully tested and people can confirm that there are no bugs; do textures survive the cooking process to the PS3?

Comment

In UT2004 your character put the weapon above his head and spoke to his wrist.... dont know why epic did not implement this in UT3... when someone is standing I dont know whether is he writing or camping it is not fair to shoot typing players

Comment

There are custom textures in maps, etc so it should work no problem.

Comment

This works perfect Shambler! Thanks a lot!

Comment

For the record, bubbles indicate thinking, a solid connection indicates talking.

Comment

Originally posted by Lethargy View Post
                    For the record, bubbles indicate thinking, a solid connection indicates talking.
                    Good point.

Comment

Yes I thought of that when developing, but bubbles are a lot easier to do in Photoshop (which I'm not very skilled at)

The mutator can very easily be reconfigured to change the icon though, you just have to import the images into UnrealEd and save them (the originals can be exported too, as I included the .upk file with the source), then put the images package+name into the .ini.

Comment

It is working flawlessly . Job well done!

Comment

Good to know

Comment

i think it would be funny to make one with a smiley face holding a sign pointing down at the player and/or bot saying something like "i'm with stupid" or "i'm eating pizza you bastage" or make it where the player can customize the words on the sign..

Comment

That can't be done quite so easily, since the way this mutator draws the images (using SpriteComponents) doesn't allow for scripted textures; thus no way to draw text (other than what is in the image).

Since there are no reported bugs with this, I'll release it fully now (files are exactly the same, so no need to update).

Comment

Working...
                              X