Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM-Hyraxis [RC2][DL/Video](Soon to be released)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Hyraxis [RC2][DL/Video](Soon to be released)

Soon to be in the finals section, wait a few minutes and I'll have the link up.

I had a little more fun with this version. It's just enjoyable to constantly zip between floors so quickly with the jump pads, and the increased size a definite improvement too. The trains are working perfectly as well (love how far they fling your ragdoll), but they need an ambient sound or two attached to them and should probably start further back so you can hear it fade in. There's a lot you could do to make them more impressive and train-like, such as sparks attached to some wheels and maybe a dynamic light stuck to the front so you can see them coming out of the darkness.

The only problem I encountered was that I got stuck in the indent behind one of the teleporters. Whenever I tried to get out it teleported me to the indent behind another teleporter, where I was equally stuck and could only go back and forth.

Visually I'm hoping you have something specific planned, because the meshes seem pretty random at the moment. What kind of place is this supposed to be, exactly?

Comment

The map is going to have a power-plant feel to it, with lots of emitters, visually pleasing lighting, contrast, and other cool stuff to boot. Lots of movers will be implemented in the map to give it that whole feel to it. I am most definitely adding a dynamic light to the trains, or at least a dynamic mesh to them to give that visual panache that enhances the feeling that you're in a terminal/power plant. The only thing that I feel needs to be done right now are the visuals and audibles. Gameplay is good right now, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I will most definitely add a lot of audible noise to the level to enhance the mood. That would be after I decide where the emitters are going to be. It's going to be a little difficult getting the visuals right, but I know I can do it; although, my last completed map was rather mismatched (Cryostasis) now that I look at it, but back then, I just wanted to make it as fun as possible. This map is going to be fun too, but with less mismatched meshes and such. In retrospect, all the maps I've made have been focused on making something fun and unique, even back from my (admittedly) wayward TimeSplitters days, the maps were focused on making the most out of what could be done.

I'm glad that the mapmaker who created Megastructure took notice of this alpha, and I'm curious Setheran, how should I make the most out of this one?

Comment

Some feedback would have been nice.

Comment

Originally posted by xViperAKx View Post
          Some feedback would have been nice.
          If you cook for PS3 I'll be happy to take it for a test-drive & give you feedback, & I know of a number of other PS3 users who would feel the same

Comment

Yeah, I'll try to figure it out. It's not visually pleasing at the moment, but when I reach a milestone, I'll cook it, most definitely.

Comment

Yeah, I'll try to figure it out. It's not visually pleasing at the moment, but when I reach a milestone, I'll cook it, most definitely.
              Excellent, thank you, will be looking forward to it I'll dig out a link to a PS3-cook tutorial thread if you're uncertain, just take a minute to find it

Found it http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=597904

Comment

I'm sorry. But I need to talk to someone who can explain in depth how to cook it for PS3. I've got the mod tools and everything, but there's something rather ambiguous in the map "rebuild" and I can't continue with ambiguous instructions, I apologize deeply for your inconvenience, feisar.

On a lighter note, there will be, most definitely, a way to tell if you're falling into darkness. I'm going to add a fog plane to make the depths look deeper than they used to. I'm also taking your suggestions setheran with the sounds and lights for the trains. I think sound would be easiest to add. However, I feel that some rooms are desolate and need something going on in them, so I've got to add a load more static meshes to make the map look better. Thanks for your time.

Comment

I'm sorry. But I need to talk to someone who can explain in depth how to cook it for PS3. I've got the mod tools and everything, but there's something rather ambiguous in the map "rebuild" and I can't continue with ambiguous instructions, I apologize deeply for your inconvenience, feisar.
                  Hey, no need to apologise I'm just grateful you're considering it, quality mods are worth the wait! I don't have the PC version so I can't advise you myself unfortunately, but there are a lot of modders using the forums who are comfortable with PS3 cooking, so with any luck one of them will take a look at the thread & may be able to advise you

I'm planning to get hold of a copy of the PC version at some point in the near future in order to learn how to cook so I can help people out with it, so hopefully will be able to advise before too long

Comment

and I'm curious Setheran, how should I make the most out of this one?
                    Just make it pretty and do the things you mentioned. It's already good fun to play, but some good visual design will get it a lot more attention.

Comment

I recently added a few things to the map to make it more interesting. I know this is gameplay related, but there are now weapons-proof holograms that prevent the player from shooting up a drop zone. I'll take a screenshot to give example later.

Comment

The Amp Tower interior is 50% completed. I will release Beta 1 when all interior spaces are completed. For now, I fixed some visual issues, lift issues, and some audibles. Lighting and post process will come after the meshes are placed. This map is turning out nicely imo. If you're interested in becoming a primary tester, contact me on my xfire, specopszerox, this will enable rapid feedback on the map so that I can change stuff quickly and effectively according to a general opinion. And for those who want it on PS3, I will eventually have a PS3 version when it's final.

Comment

The train was a surprise
                          All I can say now is that is needs prettiness as mentioned before: a bit of brightness on the outside, a nice skydome, some static meshes here and there, walls need some decoration as they are pretty bare.

Maybe improve the AI on the bots regarding the train track. They would just knowingly gather there and get massively hit so the match pretty much ends 40 to -20

P.S. Is there any way to get off the rail? I think I saw a place to dodge the train but no way off.

Comment

The only serious problems I noticed were the AI's issues mentioned. As far as a skydome goes, this is an indoor map, sorry. I can't really add a skydome to something like this.

But the afformentioned bare walls, I can definitely change that, and will. The interiors of the towers are what's bothering me right now. I'll have the amp tower fixed up (interior+exterior) in a few days. Frigid I postponed until I finished this map. I've always been cautious and admittedly unsure of making an outdoor environment, it's not really my strongsuit, yet.

Actually, if you get on the super health rail, you have to run the opposite direction of the health once you pick it up before the train hits you. It'll take a little while to get, but once you've got the timing right, you can most definitely make it with time to spare, although, little things like that could really hurt the AI. They weren't bright enough to jump back on to the walkway, so I might make that path blocked for them, so that they don't go on the jump or try to pick up the super health.

Current Status: Amp Tower Interior Decorated, Berserk Tower Interior Undecorated, Exterior Undecorated

Comment

Progress shots!

[screenshot]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00010.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00011.jpg[/screenshot]
                              [screenshot]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w284/DarkOpsViperX/ScreenShot00012.jpg[/screenshot]

The interior of the amp tower is entirely decorated now. Next release will include a completed exterior of the amp tower. I've yet to finish the ceilings and some of the floors need attention right now.

Oh... The dreaded amp tower. Oh god.

Post #100!

Comment

Working...
                              X