Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-DG-NecrisIsland [Pics][Download] - Beta Final

Name: DM-DG-NecrisIsland
    Version: Beta Final (preparing for release package)
    Compatibility: UT3 PC and PS3
    Players: 8 to 24, maximum 32
    Download: from my web site here.
    Or my high-speed Mirror (hosted by hickeroar) here.

Final
    - added railings on walkway at sniper bldg
    - added bot path to Invincibility powerup (translocator only)
    - fixed bad necris tube UV's
    - fixed bad outer wall piece lightmap
    - tweaked outer wall lightmap sizes
    - added a few bits of more grass on walkway
    - added small deco lights on bridge and dock as required
    - added second rear wall light in statue bldg
    - simplified collision on pool pipes for less sticking
    - added scaled texture to necris sky umbilical
    - tweaked umbilical clamps, added third clamp
    - added death angel statue green face glow
    - tweaked map optimizations up
    - fixed a few terrain path sticky spots
    - added reverb volumes to the main bldg and the center section of the statue bldg

UTJumpPads are as good as they get, sorry, wish they worked better.
    The best way to handle them when approaching them from behind is at a 45 or 60 degree angle, and not straight-on from behind, then they always kick properly.

Description:

Three years after the destructive Axon-Necris planetary wars ended with the defeat and slaying of Akasha, those remaining few survivors of the Necris hordes who escaped annihilation found refuge hiding in the outer planetoids of the Krejan Rings. The final Necris outpost on the isle of Nkgjaba (Necris Island in the human language) was the hot-spot for the few remaining Necris insurgents. The Axon top covert military ops, the Black Quell, were star-dropped onto the planetoid island to remove the alien threat. Here are your orders, soldier, ...

Screenshots:

More shots on the web site...

holy cow that looks awesome! Can't wait for PS3 version! Thanks in advance!

Comment

DG strikes again. Looks great as usual.

Comment

man you shouldnt be allowed to make levels... you make all of us budding young mappers feel bad!!!!! looks awesome! Will download it when Im not capped again lol

Comment

Nice! Another DG map! And it looks friggin' SWEET!

Comment

Theme, ambience, and the like seem well on track, typical for a DG creation.

I find the layout rather broad and flat for UT3, however. I understand that's a design choice, and part of the outdoor setting to some degree, but I'm saying this in terms of the core elements of DM gameplay. The scale seems fairly large, and rather suited to a slower-paced game than the one for which it's made. It lacks the labyrinthine network of avenues and jump routes and Z-axis play that make top DM maps engaging over the long term, for beginners and advanced players alike.

For the sake of the art itself, it looks like it will shape up to be a very nice piece of work, as usual of course.

Specific stuff:

Textures look a bit stretched yet on some of the steeper slopes and spires, round about the inner terrain near the shield belt.

There is an exploit located near the helmet, whereby you can use the lift (or boots) to reach a ledge that abuts the inner surface of the onion-dome ceiling; there you find a roughly 200x100 area in which you can recede into the wall. It would be an easy thing for a not-so-easily bored player to camp the lift/helmet area while remaining completely protected.

Comment

Wow man from that screen it looks great

Can't wait to check this one out.

Comment

Looks really good as usual

Comment

Another great map. Really polished and professional, and I had fun playing it too. Just a couple of stuck out to me:

One is the way that you can jump over the walls and onto the terrain at the edge of the island without dying in some places. Then if you wander just a few paces closer to the sea you're in the KillZ volume and dead for no apparent reason, which is pretty frustrating. I think you either need to make it so that death is immediate when you go past the walls, or allow people to roam freely around the whole island - even if there's no reason for them to go there.

The other is that, as far as I can see, the Redeemer is just too far out of the way to make it a worthwhile pickup in this case. It takes so long to get to the end of the bridge and back that during that time most players could've scored more kills by just staying in the action. Aside from cutting down the length of the bridge you could maybe put a jump pad at the end that flings you back to the island at top speed (like Sanctuary), or even put a decent vehicle down there instead to really justify the trip. If it was something like a Darkwalker then that might work well with allowing players to walk on the whole island.

Comment

This looks very cool!

Comment

DG, you legend! THIS looks sweet!

d/ling now!

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by Poker View Post
                        I find the layout rather broad and flat for UT3, however. ...
                        I agree. This map design from the start was a combination of some close quarters areas (inside the buildings) plus longer hit-scan areas (such as across the pool from sniper to rocket). Unfortunately it is a larger map, and the building sizes cannot be increased (which I originally wanted) without increasing the distance of the perimeter walls which are already at the maximum radius they should be, and conversely, the perimeter can't be made smaller without constricting the buildings smaller. Originally I had planned some passages under the buildings, but implementing them turned out to be difficult and they didn't add to any z-play. There are multiple paths across the upper terrain areas as shortcuts from area to area such as the Invisible and Berzerk powerup paths.

In LAN games in the studio we found that the map plays best with 12 to 16 players, this helps cut down any distance issues with player speed in the long stretches so you aren't having to run to get into the action.

Textures look a bit stretched yet on some of the steeper slopes and spires ...
                        Thanks, I'll fix that.

There is an exploit located near the helmet ...
                        I'll locate that and fix it.

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
                        One is the way that you can jump over the walls and onto the terrain at the edge of the island without dying in some places. ...
                        The initial map idea was to let the player roam anywhere on the island, however, it is already large in the regular play area so opening up the beach adds even more area to cover. The second issue is that the terrain was simply too jagged for bots to navigate it well, so I dropped the idea of the lower area access -- although we did talk about considering placing the DarkWalker into the lower terrain area as you mentioned! But personally I don't care for vehicles in DM, and that would require pathing the lower terrain for bot access, which again runs into the jagged terrain issue, so bots at times will get stuck in the terrain area and have to eventually suicide themselves.

There is currently one killvolume that covers most of the lower area, I will be placing additional killvolumes butted against the wall areas where you don't currently die immediately.

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
                        ... the Redeemer is just too far out of the way to make it a worthwhile pickup in this case. ... Aside from cutting down the length of the bridge you could maybe put a jump pad at the end that flings you back to the island at top speed (like Sanctuary), or even put a decent vehicle down there instead to really justify the trip. If it was something like a Darkwalker then that might work well with allowing players to walk on the whole island.
                        The bridge length was an issue we noticed also in LAN play here. I almost cut the bridge length in half, but then it looses its visual appeal of sitting over the ocean.

Placing pads at each end of the bridge to get there quicker is a good idea, I will implement that and see how it plays.

I had also considered placing pads between the back side of the main building and the perimeter wall on the redeemer side (ie. allowing jumping over the gully where the shield belt is), for extra speed to get around that area. If everyone likes that idea also, I'll add them there.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Comment

i wait final version for test, but she's look very nice ^^

Comment

Fantastic map! Please no Darkwalker

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                              In LAN games in the studio we found that the map plays best with 12 to 16 players, this helps cut down any distance issues with player speed in the long stretches so you aren't having to run to get into the action.
                              Wild idea, but, I know you're plenty familiar with scripting unique stuff into your levels, so ... perhaps enabling the hoverboard for DM would fit the bill here? Doing so could help speed the pace when player counts are low, would cut down on some of the point-A-to-point-B monotony caused by the large-ish scale in the outdoor areas, and of course players would have to use it at their own risk. The balance of those factors could make for an interesting—and more importantly, playable—twist that would seem to complement the design of this level nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X