Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-Monument[Alpha][Pics/Download]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Monument[Alpha][Pics/Download]

Name:CTF-Monument
    Version:Alpha 6
    Compatibility:Patch 1.2
    Description:Medium sized map that will eventually be Baroque/Romanesque themed, serving as a tribute/monument to UT99. OK, that sounds a bit cheesy, but that's what I'm shooting for
    Comments:Still in the layout/gameplay phase, but very playable as is. Center portion of the map dividing the bases requires the most layout work.

This should go without saying, but all lighting, decorations, textures, etc are only temporary at this point. When completed, this map will contain roughly 80% custom content.

Bots will play this map, but tend to be stupid at times. Not a lot of effort has been made on 'educating' them yet.

I'm open to suggestions/ideas concerning item placement. Being a LGI player for close to 8 years, weapon/item placement isn't one of my strong points.

Even though this map is being made with LowGrav Instagib in mind, my goal is to find a good balance to make this a fun map across all styles of CTF.

When I get closer to a final version I will cook this for PS3 beta testing.

I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction for exporting the player models from UT99 into 3dsMax. I'd really like to use the original models as statues. As far as I can see, UED1 will only export to T3D which doesn't work for meshes.

All feedback/comments are welcome, good or bad.

Screenshot:
    [shot]http://members.***.net/passingas/ScreenShot00040.jpg[/shot][shot]http://members.***.net/passingas/ScreenShot00041.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://members.***.net/passingas/ScreenShot00042.jpg [/shot][shot]http://members.***.net/passingas/ScreenShot00043.jpg [/shot]
    [shot]http://members.***.net/passingas/ScreenShot00044.jpg [/shot][shot]http://members.***.net/passingas/ScreenShot00045.jpg [/shot]

Credits:Will be added in final release

Download:http://members.***.net/passingas/CTF...ent_Alpha6.zip

Might wanna try using more static meshes.

Comment

Looks great man, nice and cleanly done. I'll add more comments when I've actually played it.

BTW, I'm not sure but I think there's already another map on here called DM-Monument.. it could be DM-1on1-Monument though, I can't remember which.

Comment

Looks good, will download when I have the chance.

One thing though: there's already a map named Monument.

Comment

so far so gooooood, dont know that static meshes only can look so good, this map has a special place in my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
            Might wanna try using more static meshes.
            This was clearly posted as an alpha version and I noted in the comments that decorations, textures, etc are temporary at this point. I start with BSP only then start working meshes in when it's time to decorate. There will be plenty of eyecandy added.

@Brits__Hit & Harmatia - Thank you! And yes I'm aware that there's a DM map with the same name. Didn't think it would be a big deal to have a CTF map with the same name, but the name can be changed easily enough if necessary.

@Sunshine1709Str - Thank you!

Comment

plays very nice, i would say this is at least a beta.
              don't see that adding decorations will improve the gameplay much.
              GJ!

Comment

Originally posted by hawkwind View Post
                plays very nice, i would say this is at least a beta.
                don't see that adding decorations will improve the gameplay much.
                GJ!
                Thank you for the comments! It's true that decorations won't improve gameplay. Many times it ruins gameplay for me because I stop to look at the details while someone is shooting at me. But I just can't bring myself to make a BSP only map when it can look so much better. Custom static meshes are being worked on currently.

Comment

Hey Front,

I am on the Unreal Community Map Pack review team and would be happy to provide my comments. Downloading it now...

Comment

Lookin' good. We need all the CTF maps we can get.

Comment

BSP is your friend.
                      SMs are okay as long as they don't get in the way. i know of no SM only maps people actually play

Comment

**** it UT3 Crashed my browser! I had an entire review done and then it crashed! POS... OK, let's me see if I can recap.

The map is honestly lacking in many areas right now, particularly color & game play. The map runs fine but is very North & South and confined into too many open areas and is a snipers heaven right now. Everything's Gray, even the sky box, not good IMO. Here is what I would do:

Go to this site and look at Hourance's textures and use them! Especially his brand new Sky Box because it rocks. Put that sky box into this map and use some of his other textures to spice this map up! Theres a ton of textures that would work great for you there. You can thank me later!
                        http://www.hourences.com/book/textureskraden.htm
                        http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=175634

Then add jump pads to the upper corridors from the lower level near the flag stands. That will spread out the game play quite a bit. The add lots of monuments at each sealed arch on the lower level corridors, a whole row of them on each side and use Hourence's textures behind the monuments to break things up color wise. Make them stand out because I am sure the monuments you pick will be GRAY! The map is called CTF-Monument right?

Place the Power-ups in the pools. Decrease the size of that square gray brick block that leads through the bottom center section and make it just a thin wall so you cannot see/shoot through to the other side. That could be a great fragging area but it's not quite right as of now. It needs to be more open for fighting in. New textures will break things up too.

In the middle of the map is a wall that goes East to West connecting the upper corridors. That needs help. Add some towers or something castle looking to connect all the top corridors. Or add doors that open & close so you can run straight North & South in the upper corridors, through the doors and then jump down to cap.

Private message me if you want to test and run this on the UCMP server. I am happy to help out.

Comment

well, it is an alpha
                          jfc
                          In the middle of the map is a wall that goes East to West connecting the upper corridors. That needs help. Add some towers or something castle looking to connect all the top corridors. Or add doors that open & close so you can run straight North & South in the upper corridors, through the doors and then jump down to cap.
                          you are making this map/level
                          make it the way you want, without doors and towers or any other detritous.
                          you never know what people will like to play, but listening to your self is the best guide

Comment

Well said hawk, the mapper must stick to what he/she believes in since it is their work. Just trying to offer some constructive comments...

Comment

@clark kent

Thanks for the comments. All feedback is welcome. What I'm really looking for is layout/gameplay and item placement feedback. As I stated in my original post "all lighting, decorations, textures, etc are only temporary at this point". I haphazardly threw textures in for the alpha version because it's much easier for me to visualize the scene with some kind of textures rather then the default checkerboard on everything. None of the textures you see will be in the final release. Most of the BSP will be replaced as well. Custom textures and static meshes are currently being worked on.

As for the upper corridors, Those weren't intended to be playable area, hence no way to get up there. I've toyed with the idea of making them playable, but it will definitely NOT help the sniper friendly environment you already mentioned.

I do plan to add many statues as decoration to the lower corridors, just haven't got that far into decorating yet. It's just an alpha version after all. Which reminds me, any helpful tips for exporting the player models from UT99 into 3dsMax? I'm stuck on this part.

Power-ups in the pool: I was thinking the same thing, thanks!

I'm not happy with the lower floor of the center section of the map either. I'm currently redesigning this area for the 3rd time.

The east-west wall on the second floor is only a placeholder to remind me something more decorative goes there. A plain wall works for the time being just to keep people from shooting all the way across the map or running through that area.

Again, the feedback is very welcome. Just remember this is only an alpha version with almost no decoration. I'll update this thread when I'm ready to publish another version for more feedback.

Comment

Working...
                              X