• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-TokarisForest RC 3 (DM-TokaraForest Remake) *Updated 10-04-08*

Name:DM-TokarisForest
    Version:Final
    Compatibility:PC
    Description:"Remake" of DM-TokaraForest
    Comments:Storyline: In an attempt to revive the legendary arena of bloodshed the Landri Corporation recreated the famed Tokara Forest on a remote untouched moon. Can you survive the battle or will you soul haunt this arena like all the others who are said to haunt this killing field.
    Credits:Thanks to Epic Games for creating the original, and all the guys at ZeroFrag who tested and provided me with input on this map.
    Download PC:http://www.dogsofwarusa.com/dow/b1gd...DogUT3Maps.zip

Awesome looking remake! The gravity feels just right and I like the lighting a lot. You made a classic feel new. Good work and thanks again for the map.

Comment

Whats the point of having high tech walkways when they looping around old trees? I know i'm just being picky. (would be cool if everything was techy!)

Comment

Read the comments in the map description, it's a remake that's intended to be a "remake" so to speak.

I agree though, I had thought about eliminating the trees and doing some sort of tech pillars. Still not out of the question though.

Thanks for the feedback DscytheX and Mr.UglyPants.

Comment

very close re-make besides the metal walkways I had fun playing this map and can i just say I love them jump pads erm lighting needs altering and more decoration but they are on their way Im guessing like Mr ugly pants pointed out it would be nice to have a full tech edition aswell as this one just for abit of difference on the whole a great map which I will be proud to have in my map list thank you

Comment

hey, this map really works visually , something about the colors make for great fragging effects. Is there any way you can integrate some air control defaults beyond what they currently are?I'm used to guiding myself infor a landing a bit more than what I am currently able to do

Comment

Trees and ground look great, but the walkways aren't so good as in TakaraForest from UT2kX. Maybe you can convert walkway Meshes from UT2004 to UT3? Ask Lordz from this forum- he covert DM-Rankin from UT204. Also in TakaraForest there was a lot of small flying lights (you can make them in also in UT3- check DM-Rioes (they fly everywhere , DM-Cath (near the helment) or DM-GardenOfGods).
              This level is really funny, thanks

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

This was a quick weekend map that I did to take a break from the WAR maps that I've been working on. I'd played Tokara a lot in the past and figured it would be a fun map to reproduce. It's been sitting in beta status for a few weeks and I knew if I didn't get it posted up here soon that it was going to die on my computer forgotten.

Sorry it's not an exact remake, but I like recreating some of my favorite maps from earlier versions of UT and adding a whole new feel to the map.

I'll check in to tweaking the air control, some of the lighting, and a little more to the visuals.

Comment

My initial response was, WHY THE HELL IS HE USING THOSE RAMPS. SO OUT OF PLACE.
                  Then I looked at the other screenshots, and realized it was the best fit with the rest of the decor.

My only complaint is that I dont see a download link for the ps3, will that change for the full release? Bulk of the players that have this game are on the ps3. This would end up being a top pick.

Nicely done, a quality on par with the professionals in the field. Look forward to seeing more of your work and the final release.

Comment

I actually really enjoyed this map - keep the trees (but maybe find some with some branches - or build little wodden ledges around the trunk of some that would make nice camping spots...)

Really missing the original's soothing soundtrack though - any chance of getting that in there?

Comment

PS3 version should be released with the final.

It'll be easy enough to have 2 versions, one with the trees, and one with a more tech feel by replacing the trees with some sort of tech column.

Original soundtrack... maybe. I'll have to look in to how difficult that would be.

Comment

If you have UT2003/2004 original music file it's very easy to convert it You need freeware AbleMP3 program (it convert's ogg file to wav format) and than you have to export wav file to UED That's all, nothing hard.

Comment

Fair enough, I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Really nice job! I love this level. If it means anything, I definitely prefer the trees to a tech look.

Would you believe I had just been playing the original on 2k4 just before I saw this map here? :P

Comment

I would suggest at least one version for PS3 durring the Beta, just to make sure evrything is working swimmingly. It doesn't seem like there is any rhyme or reason behing what runs smoothly or has framerate issues on PS3, so better safe than sorry. It may save you some post-final release reworking if nothing else. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                              X