• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Sloth [PICS] [Betav2] [Updated - 3/2/08]

Name: CTF-Sloth

Version: Beta Release Version Two

Compatibility: UT3 v1.2.

Description: CTF-Sloth is set in downtown type environment in the middle of a very bright day.
    I had the layout of the map that I drew up and I knew I wanted to give it a downtown theme.
    Looking at War-Downtown for inspiration, I decided to use that as sort of a template to what the surrounding would be like. All meshes and materials are stock;
    however, I exported some textures, modified and reimported them for use in the map.

Map features very tight close combat bases connected by a skyscraper complex, expressway and sewer access. If you are the open space combat type for sniping
    and shock combo-ing the outer routes are good for you and if you like the tight rocket spamming-behind-you routes, the sewer access might suit you.

I have 3 of the 4 armor classes present (Sheild belt, Helmet, and Vest), Super, Medium and HealthVials. There are several indicators that show when some power-ups are available. Just be careful when going to pick up the Super Health though.

3 of the 5 Amplifier Power-ups are also present. The Udamage, Jump boots and Berserk. The Berserk spawn alternates and you can locate the spawn points as gameplay proceeds.

Recommended number of players is 10-16.

Comments: At the moment, the alternating Berserk works great, but the Bots are having problems with it. Even GodLike Bots.
    Thing is, whenever the Berserk spawns at the Alternate location, the bots don't know to go there. However, if you pick up the berserk
    at said location and it respawns at the initial location, they can pick it up again. And the cycle goes on. That means for now, you are guaranteed,
    at least, every alternate berserk spawn (unless you get killed of course and they pick it up when you die ).

If someone knows of a way to fix this, I'm open for suggestions. I have tried everything possible that I could think of so far, and I'm still trying.

Other than that, I've still got some work to do on the map so any bugs can please be posted and I'll get to it as soon as possible.

Betav2 Main changes include -
    Added meshing deco to the sewers as well as team lighting them.
    Started interior mesh deco work. The same size will be retained, however. The meshes only replaces some BSP so the overall size would be the same.
    Blocking volumes about 40% done... and Did some optimizing so PS3 users should have fewer problems now. I hope.

I, however, plan to keep the interior slightly clean, mesh wise, just because of the tight feel it will have.

Added two new SS.

Still haven't found a suitable fix for the alternating power up and the bot AI. Still working on it though

Note: The file names are the same for both the PC and PS3 versions, I do this to make sure when you extract, it just replaces the previous versions.

Thank you.

Screenshots:
    As you may notice, I did a very bad panoramic screen shot job, but just to give an Idea or what the level looked like in 3 Screens

Betav2 Screens

Credits: As always, thanks to the guys over at #unrealed at QuakeNet. <3

Download [Both PC and PS3]:
    http://hosted.filefront.com/jjppzz

wow another nice looking map !

downloading

Comment

Very interesting.....Must try

Comment

Very nice indeed ... another winning CTF-Map ... we needed more of these ... thanks man. I really can't say there is anything I really dislike about the level. The different routes you offer are pretty good. Definitely a keeper and another great custom map to be added to the list of excellent unique original levels.

Comment

looking at the pics, it reminds me of a Counter Strike map I use to play

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far guys.
            I got excited this morning because I thought I had come up with a sequence that seemed like it fixed the bot AI for the alternating Berserk, but it was only a luck of the draw that it seemed to worked once.
            Still Working on it though.

As for now, I just finished meshing and lighting the sewer. I forgot to mention in the OP that the sewer route was still bland so far just to have the actual "maze" setup done.

Blocking volumes are about 5% done at this point. If there's anywhere anyone is getting stuck on that I may have missed please let me know; but chances are it's already blocked by now.

Edit** I forgot to ask if the PS3 Version works fine. I don't own one to test with.

Comment

Awesome map we need more city/urban themed maps.

Suggestions.
              *Lighting to bright in the broken walls in the base.
              *Flag positioning seems.. poor. (Just in an awkward place, and to easy to get to)
              *Fire escape is to big, and the railing to tall, blocks view and bots have minor problems on it.
              *Sewers look way too clean XD
              *Sewer manholes way over sized, I'd bring it down to half or something.
              *Sewer direction arrows could be replaced with something more immersible. (Like a tube along the side with a light that passes by leading towards the corresponding base.
              *Sewers (slightly) to bright
              *Road blocks collision/size to big.
              *More decals everywhere would be nice (like random garbage/debris)
              Thats all I got for now. :P

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
                Edit** I forgot to ask if the PS3 Version works fine. I don't own one to test with.
                Man I really dig the map layout and the way it looks. I can see this would be a really fun CTF map. It works on PS3, but when you go into the outside area, the framerate takes a significant hit. I don't even know if there's anything that can be done about it though, I think the PS3 can only do so much.

Comment

How'd you create the sewers?

Comment

The sewers were made with brushes really.
                    I knew what I wanted the width of the tunnels to be and just subtracted them out with brushes,

Like I said in my post earlier, I have meshed the sewers and redid the lighting.
                    I really just did the default you see to make it playable.
                    If the manholes are any smaller it would make it difficult to get into and out of the sewers through them. I did realize that and I actually used the size of the manholes to determine what the size of the sewers themselves would be. I wanted to make the manholes wide enough for people who grab the jump boots to be able to get out that way. Any smaller and it would be impossible.

As for collisions, this release hardly has any blocking volumes so right now the default ragdoll collisions are there. By final those barricades and infact most if not all of the meshes would be enclosed in BV's.

As for the fire escape, the same logic for the manhole applies. I wanted there to be a need to jump on it not walk on it. If I bring the railing any lower the character just walks over it like there was only a step there. AFAIK, you can still see through it and also shoot through the grates. There will be more decals and stuff everywhere.

Adding moving lights to the sewers actually is a nice idea, however, that may give it some sci-fi type look which I do not want. Like I said the sewers in this version is not what I was going for. The doors emitting white lights would actually have... or rather already have team colors and there are now other meshes in the sewer providing lighting.

Flag position. Hmm... Well the layout I drew up b4 I started building had the flag in that corner. I could revise it if it's a general consensus.

As for the PS3, I really haven't done any optimizing on the level.

Thanks for the feedback,

Comment

This level is great and plays amazing. I have the ps3 version and the only thing which has already been mentioned is the framerate hit once you get outside, its stutters once in awhile.

Comment

Well i really like the combo of StaticMeshes and BSP for them, i'm just trying to figure ways to create sewers since a map of mine will have a medium sized sewer system.

Comment

Sry for late response Mr.U, But yea, I would suggest, if you want your sewer to be all static mesh I would just say subtract out the whole area you want to use. however, because if the way I wanted mine to network, I decided to use brushes instead. But I had to make sure they were uniform to avoid troubles.

My intention was to mesh it after wards, which I have done so far.

On that note, BTW, I should have another beta out in a few days with more changes. Adding some interior meshing at the moment.

I also did some optimizing so the PS3 version for the next beta would have better performance. BV's about 20% done. Will update the post when available.

Comment

So, map has been updated to second Beta version. See OP.
                            Main changes include -
                            Added meshing deco to the sewers as well as team lighting them.
                            Started interior mesh deco work. The same size will be retained, however. The meshes only replaces some BSP so the overall size would be the same.
                            Blocking volumes about 40% done... and Did some optimizing so PS3 users should have fewer problems now. I hope.

I, however, plan to keep the interior slightly clean, mesh wise, just because of the tight feel it will have.

Added two new SS.

Still haven't found a suitable fix for the alternating power up and the bot AI. Still working on it though

Note: The file names are the same for both the PC and PS3 versions, I do this to make sure when you extract, it just replaces the previous versions.

Comment

Great ... man I will be busy all night ... playing with great levels and having lots of fun ... good times thanks to some talented devs doing this for the love of the game. Thanks man ... I really like this level a lot. Well done Urban Levels are always appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X