• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Bump

[ Rebuild Armature and Mesh Tool ]
    It is still work in progress build.
    http://unrealtacticalmod.googlecode....Mesh%20Tool.py [DOWNLOAD]
    This script tool. It under export section.
    This deal with rebuild object for mesh and armature only selected object.
    It will rebuild the armature object. <-Button
    It will rebuild the mesh. But it doesn't support material, uv, and smoothing yet. <-Button
    It will select smooth faces that is current selected. <-Button

This will help you skeleton mesh being deform for some odd reason when import to unreal editor. Note you need to repaint paint your weights for your skeleton mesh. It help clean the mesh and armature from deforming.

I done some few test on the script dealing with deforming issues. Manage to get around working on this script. It does rebuild every thing from scrape to deal with raw data build. The mesh data build is not yet finish. I haven't tested the animation yet. It does match the animations as long it copy bones correctly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry about that. I not good at explaining things. It doesn't export all the mesh data for detail smoothing. It just base on Boolean smoothing just for face mode polygon.

Example:
    -mesh data
    --loop faces
    ---face.smoothing <- true or false

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by darknet View Post
    It base on face polygon. It what ever the face is smooth or not. Not in edges.
    That makes no sense, they are just random words in a sentence.
    And not only you make no sense, but you are not telling me how to solve this issue.

The plugin is splitting the smoothing groups were a UV seam is. That's a fact.
    It ignores whatever smoothing groups I setup in Blender, removes double edges and then split them along UV seams.

Nevermind though, I'll just deal with it and use 3D Max in my next project.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It base on face polygon. It what ever the face is smooth or not. Not in edges.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Darknet. I know I've been nagging you to include smoothing groups support to the plugin, but now Im wondering if there's a way to disable this.

Here's my problem: after importing a model into UDK I've noticed that smoothing groups are based on the model's UV groups.

So let's say I have a cylindrical shape and I add a seam to unwrapp it, when the model is imported into UDK the smoothing groups will be cut along that UV seam.

Here's a picture of a model I've been working on, if you look at the wrist there's a clear cut, that's where a UV seam is:

I'll post a better picture later if you want to, but Im wondering if there's a way to prevent this. In Blender the model is just one entire mesh with no cuts or smoothing groups. I need it to look like that in UDK as well.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You have to do in face mode. Face is set to Boolean for smoothing. Edges doesn't work.

Although I did some testing how face and smoothing work. It different from how it work. Only the face smoothing works.

Link:
    http://www.ru.is/kennarar/hannes/use...i/ch06s03.html
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Do...shes/Smoothing

If you can't get it to work I have to rework it. Might have to show video on how it deal with it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the update. But I haev a simple question. How do I get hard edges in my imported meshes?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    - Update -
    Added Selected meshes and must make sure you link and parent the armature to make it working. Basically you don't have to copy the objects and join them my user inputs. It will do it for you. It will do something like that but you not see it in the scene once it done. XD

Well I worked on the new blender 2.50 beta so I decide to work backwards to make sure it more less work for you.

Note I just test few of if conditions. Only user inputs. Test and error. XD

Leave a comment:

• replied
    --Update--
    The script has been update by moyah. moyah has improve the smooth groups in the mesh part. But note that some of the mesh script is bit buggy some reason.

Check the post:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=754249

Script version 0.0.17 has been update and credit added in.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, all my assets and the bazillion animations I've made are in Blender, and I love the interface so yeah, screw autodesk, I'll keep my duped vert count

Leave a comment:

• replied
    blender can assign smooth groups without edge splitting, which is the prefered method as you increase vert count by edge splitting. the problem is getting that smooth group data through the exporter into UDK, something that the ASEs from max do well, but not so well in blender. unfortunately, for best results, autodesk holds all the keys. If you don't mind sucking it up, blender is still an awesome resource.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Here's an example of a cylinder with and without smoothing groups, as you can tell the difference is huge (it's the same mesh).

The first picture is how the mesh looks in Blender, and the second is basically how it will end up looking in UDK after exporting.

You can try it yourself if you want, just create a cylinder in Blender and set it to smooth, apply an Edge Split modifier, it will look like in the first picture.

Now go into edit mode, select all the faces and press W and select "Remove Doubles". The mesh will now look like the one in the second picture.

I believe that when you export a PSK using your plugin it does this remove doubles operation automatically, since all models end up looking like that.

Like I said in my other post, you can avoid that by selecting faces and moving them around to offset them. That way it cant remove doubles since there are no two edges on the same spot anymore.
    But doing this on each face is impractical and it can look bad, so Im trying to figure out if there's a way to export a skeletal mesh while keeping my split edges.

Hope that was clear enough, and thanks again for the help!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not sure.There should be a smoothing group there. It either set to true and false.

The way it work from the main code that hasn't change much. It deal with id tag.

Well I don't have any good sample to with work. For improving the code. Could you give some example how in image so I might get an idea from it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I finally figured out why I was having problems with smoothing groups. It seems the plugin (using Blender 2.49) automatically removes doubles when exporting.
    As you probably know in order to create smoothing groups in Blender you need to split edges, and removing doubles basically undo that.

I've found a work around which is to offset faces a bit so that they are not merged back again when exporting, but as you can guess it's not the best way to go about doing this.

Is there a way stop the pluign from removing doubles or is that just the way it works?
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What else you have animations for it? How many animation are we talking about. An object animation will not count. The script only filter out which group name matching the animations nla strip for bones names. Could you pm that file so I can see what happening to it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X