Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converted DM-Throne to CTF-Throne. How does it play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converted DM-Throne to CTF-Throne. How does it play?

BETA

PS3 cook when final.

A sunkissed mountainside with an eerie cavern and a mysterious forest. Watch out for vehicles!

PC link: http://files.filefront.com/CTF+Thron.../fileinfo.html

This map was not designed with CTF in mind, but I'm trying it out anyway. Please make suggestions to make it better. I want it to be pretty even between red and blue, so I need opinions on balancing.

That is some serious bloom in the first screen... But it looks good so far for the most part.

Comment

This has to be one of the most bizarre maps I've played so far. The environments are imaginative to say the least, and the music and ambient sounds give it a pretty eerie atmosphere.

Gameplay-wise it was interesting, and the vehicles worked well with the map - neither the Vipers or Scavengers seemed overpowered when I played. Bots had no trouble using them either, but I did see a few of them just standing still. Might be worth checking to make sure all your pathnodes are actually linked, and in both directions. I also noticed that a lot of the jump pads were hovering off the ground.

In terms of visuals I agree with punkxblaze about the bloom, and I think the postprocessing/lighting in general is a bit over the top - the colour is overwhelming to the extent that I think it undermines the map's atmosphere instead of enhancing it. Even if you were going for a very dreamlike and unreal look, I think a little more subtlety in the effects would make a better impression.

Comment

Setheran! I love Downpour, thanks for trying my map ^_^
        But I am kinda worried because I wasn't particlarly trying for bizarre. And I think it would be very easy to be much more abstract than this.

the vehicles worked well with the map - neither the Vipers or Scavengers seemed overpowered when I played. Bots had no trouble using them either, but I did see a few of them just standing still. Might be worth checking to make sure all your pathnodes are actually linked, and in both directions.
        Glad the vehicles work ok, I was having difficulty with previous iterations. But all the paths are linked, the Scavengers just sometimes get a lil lost in the forest because it is too cluttered for them. But they spring back into action if they take a hit.

I also noticed that a lot of the jump pads were hovering off the ground.
        I've been trying to fix that but they snap back into place when i'm not looking >_<

In terms of visuals I agree with punkxblaze about the bloom, and I think the postprocessing/lighting in general is a bit over the top
        Awwww...Well, do you feel this way about each area, or one or two in particular? The cave is very colourful but do you think colour needs to be drained from the valley, or just less bloom?

Comment

It's hard to pinpoint specifics, but using the top screenshot as an example, the solid yellow glow around parts of the rocket launcher looks strange and unnatural. I don't know which settings are contributing to that, but it'd be worth trying to fix. A little more variation in the light colour there might help too - it's almost pure yellow, while if you're aiming for a good sunset there should be bits of orange and red in there too, and then blue-tinted shadows (a skylight usually achieves that effect) for contrast.

The cave and forest areas are also too saturated for my liking, but that's purely personal preference I think. I know plenty of others are desperate for more colour in the game.

Comment

Valley has been de-bloomed, with slightly more variation in colour. Cave lighting is less vivid. Building in forest has been decorated better and a few bugs have been cleared up.

Please could I get more feedback so I know when I can final and get it cooked for PS3...

Comment

Looks really good, I'll have to try it out when I get off work.

~Death Dream~

Comment

Heeeeeey, a *bit* more feedback than that would be helpful.

Comment

Wow. Colors. I kinda like them.

You could do with a tiny bit of ambient light though, sothings in shadows aren't completely impossible to see. For example, coming up on this spot, you can't see that there's something you have to jump over. A bit of ambient light would help (stairs would too).

The light also makes things tough with the trenches in the forest area. It can make it really hard to see where to go when the maze walls are invisible (due to being pitch black). They can also be hard to see from above them too, which leads to falling into them a lot which is frustrating as one can't jump out, and the light makes it hard to find one's way out sometimes. The trenches are also very angular. Perfectly rectangular and all.

The ripples in the water are a bit too small. It looks like the ocean out an airplane window.

In one of the buildings (in the valley IIRC), the transition from wall to ceiling is rather abrupt. Too obviously perfectly right angled BSP or something.

The decor in this area seems a little off. Everything is very asian themed, except for this necrisy looking area. Perhaps on purpose, but it felt weird.

Overall I really like the visual effect of this map.

I haven't tested it against people, but with bots most of the action seems to take place in the forest. The valley and cave areas seem to be places that exist for the bots to exit as rapidly as possible via the jumppads. Almost no combat took place in the cave, and there were only occasional encounters in the valley. It would be nice to have some directional arrows with the jumppads or something, particularly when two are right next to each other.

In the forest the sometimes invisible drop offs that one couldn't jump out of were sometimes frustrating. The bushes made hurt visibility sometimes, though I don't find that necessarily bad. I'm sure it doesn't effect the bots (which is too bad) but it added to the frenetic feel of the forest area, a bit of jungle fighting.

Comment

Shadows less deep in key areas.
                    Trenches are rectangular because they were made by a, uh, machine. real answer: I'm too incompetent to have them any other way.
                    Biggerer ripples.
                    Ceiling slightly better decorated.
                    Evil Necris Mansion behind forest stays.

I've tried to change to flow so that the valley is more of a hotspot in a number of ways (more playerstarts there, removed a way out, an extra way in)
                    I don't understand the two jumppad arrows. Do you want them signposted? There is only one instance of that occuring anyway and they both jump you to roughly the same place.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive feedback

Comment

I am planning to go final soon and cook for PS3 unless there is anything else.

(change was I put the jumpads up the mountain back because they were cool, but the bots ignore the first one so they aren't so eager to leave the valley)

Comment

The link is now for CTF-Throne! I need people to tell me if it balances ok please

Comment

Working...
                        X