No announcement yet.

DM-Cryostasis RC1 [Screenshots & DL][Ready For Playtesting!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As of recent, I was told to add a hell of a load of more little details. I don't know how I'll do that, but I guess I need electrical wires and such all over the place. By the way, how's the lighting?

Comment

I thought the lighting was just fine, personally.

Comment

Just dl and played 3.7,nice map plays well.Only gripe is the map should have beta 3.7 name so everyone knows what version they have,this is expecially important to server admins.I won't upload to server for just that reason,makes it way to hard to update.BTW I had no issue with the lighting and I have my settings turned way down to gain fps.

Comment

Well, after playtesting I can safely say that this map has a lot of potential in terms of layout.The item placement is solid, there's lots of z-axis action and the variation in room size and space made the gameplay fun and dynamic. The ice beneath the flak was cool and makes for interesting flak duels.
          However, I found the fan hazard next to the biorifle just plain annoying and there's really no reason to go near it (remember risk vs reward, the biorifle isn't worth killing yourself to get), so I recommend removing it. Also, the air-lift to that same room breaks the flow, as you walk down the corridor from above only to find a dead end. A conventional lift would be far better.
          The curving stairs from the large room to the abyss room has bad collision issues, which are inherent in stairs that curve out like that, you could probably eliminate that issue by replacing them with diagonal or inward curving stairs.
          As far as the visuals go, at times they were excellent, such as the cool glass doors into the shock room and the rotating mechanisms, but often they were extremely spartan, some of the corridors having absolutely no adornment whatsoever. The lighting was fairly average in most places, however sometimes it appeared sourceless and some of the corridors were far too dark. Some warm/cool contrast would be nice, as the rooms were either lit completely blue/white or red/dark.

Nice map though and I would love to see some more development go into this.

Comment

Please do not remove the fan hazard .. it is one of the things that adds a nice feeling of uniqueness and creativity to the map. If people feel it is too risky to go near there is a simple solution ... be more careful when you are near that area. Actually I would say put the chest armor their or the shield belt and let the somewhat good and careful players have a nice rewards. Not every corridor in a level needs to have adornments ... some can be bare ... that gives it more of a sense of realism anyway at least imo. Also I like the air lift and have to give it my vote of confidence as it something you don't see very often and again it is nice to see a map do something different. As far as the flow I didn't think it hampered it at all in my experience ... I actually liked being able to quickly get away from bots that had gotten lucky enough to get the berserk pickup and the RL. Anyway just my opinions as well. It really is nice to see someone doing something a bit different and imo you pulled it off very well.

Comment

I'm not saying it isn't nice to have something different, but not when it breaks the flow or is just plain annoying. Even if it was worth the risk, the fan still screws up the bots (they tend not to avoid it) and when I was playing, someone with the Udamage died in there and it couldn't be retrieved without being sucked in (and the bots kept suiciding attempting to get it).
              As for the air lift as an escape route, a normal lift would be even better because then the pursuer would have to wait for it to come back down and you would actually be able to drop down from the top to get to the RL and Berserk.

Comment

I understand and I have can respect your feelings while at the same time having a different perspective. Its nothing personal at all .. I just happen to like the stuff you don't in this particular instance. We'll see what the map author does and what he decides he likes ... many times that is how it goes anyway ... if the author likes an effect and especially of it took them a while to get working they are most likely going to keep it in. Its all good to have differing opinions about a map. I just wanted to register my feelings so he would know that some of us actually like that death trap and the air lift. That was the only reason.

Comment

The fan was placed there to catch the occasional bot because of the requisite need for a few random deaths. Well in reality, the fan isn't too close to the bio-rifle. I made sure that it wasn't too close to begin with, you can easily escape it too. There are two volumes that pull you into the fan, one you can get out of, the second one, the full force of the death fan pulls you in. Anyways, the map is going into RC1 and is waiting on some feedback. I'll get it on the forums today. Oh, and sorry JB, I'm keeping those two "Nuisances" you thought were unnecessary. Because according to popular opinion, those two things really assist in the flow and danger of the map. I think that maybe in 3.7 the fan volumes were too close to the bio-rifle, but in RC1, they aren't. Maybe in the final I could put some markers? Anywho, I've been out of commision due to the fact that my stepdad basically said: "If you're going to not go to work because you're sick, I'm taking the internet adapter and the 360."

Comment

Is RC1 available for download yet Viper?

Comment

RC1 is now available to those who wish to test out the near-final version

Comment

Perfect. Please don't make anymore changes ... your item placement is now excellent and I love where you placed the chest armor ... although I will say that going that route is excellent if you survive the risky nature ... having to jump for some armor is always a cool thing ... just like having to jump for the UDamage ... two pickups that you have to jump for and two other pickups where you have to hope you have timed going along that route for them properly. That is a good balance. So anyway I am uploading the PS3 file now and will be sending you the link for the file in the next 5 minutes.

Comment

So what are you thinking ... are you going to release this as is in RC1 (which as I said above is great) or are you doing some last minute tinkering (I hope it is not changing anything and more along the lines of refining and putting the last bit of polish on it)? I was just curious ... believe me I am not rushing you at all.

Comment

Working...
                          X