• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Cryostasis RC1 [Screenshots & DL][Ready For Playtesting!]

Map Name: Cryostasis
    Version: RC1: Minor/Major Tweaks
    Compatibility: PC
    Description: A tight, deadly Cryogenics research facility transformed into an even deadlier arena, Cryostasis was designed for research on chemical reactions between flesh and particle arresting weaponry in hopes of finding a method of fighting krall-necris troops by sending them to their frozen deaths.
    Recommended Player Count: Best played as a 4-8 player map for balance.
    Comments: New stuff just keeps on making the map better and better.
    Screenshots:

Not Updated Yet

Download Map Here

Since this map is now Beta, I will be consistently posting updates in this thread. The alpha stage is over and the map is intentionally tight quarters, not to mention that the map is becoming more and more dangerous. In the alpha phase, the U-Damage was placed behind two heavy doors. In this current version, the U-Damage is in the room I like to call: The Purple Window Room of Doom, or simply, the Amp room, and some of the weapons have been recently moved.

I am anticipating some vigorous testing from you guys here at the forums. Hope to see your responses. Remember, this is one of those maps that was designed as a cramped, deadly little map for duels and 6-player DM.

Update: The armor vest has been moved so that the map's flow increases. You don't want a vest right next to a flak cannon, do you?

I'll check it out. You should compress both of those files into a zip so people only have to download one file... I'm sure more people will try your map if you do.

Comment

Hey man I checked your map out and it is actually a fun little level. However some things are holding it back from being a really standout small 2-4 person level. Nothing terrible and plus I know that you still have areas of the level to finish that was obvious. So anyway some observations:

- Lighting is off ... too bright in most areas and waaay to dark in others ... try to find a better balance and that area with the UDamage could really use a more subdued purple and better lighting along the stair ... that was a really dark area.

- Some of the textures don't fuse well together ... the floor texture does not match the stair textures well or those side areas ... not certain about the wall textures either ... but you may be able to get away with just adding more depth in terms of wear and tear on the walls ... but I think the floor in the main area is at odds the nature of the level and some of the textures in the side rooms (like the flak room) could use some tweaking

- Not certain about the Super health being behind closed doors like that without some type of cool kismet based alert ... plus bots seem to have a hard time getting out of there once they get in. I got a bunch of cheap kills just opening the door.

So I do like it and it will be very interesting to see what changes you make and how you take advantage of some of the current map dead ends. This level definitely has potential.

Comment

Update: As can be seen in the screenshots uploaded, the textures have been altered, the lighting has been fixed and altered, the fog has been added, and the visuals are now more smoothly blended. Overall, each room has at least 2 exits, so the map flows nicely, it's a very old-school layout, so the flow might be a little cramped, but I can add more to the map as I get more information. The most apparent problem is that I need more testers so that I know exactly what people want in the map. So check it out when you can.

Comment

Well I checked it out again and I still have some of the same issues but I also noticed how improved it is in the areas of lighting (especially the UDamage area .. much better) and you lost the door for the Superhealth closet which is fine but now the Superhealth may be to easy to get and to out in the open ... that is something you may want to look at ... you did a good job placing the shield belt underwater but make sure there is a botpath to this area ... this is one place I did not notice the bots going.

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed by the same floor texture in the main area ... the one that has a concrete look to it ... sorry but those textures seem out of place here. And I really hope you do more with the flak room and the area the shock rifle is over ... those are far to bland. You need some posters or monitors/control panels ... something. I liked the upstairs area though ... it seemed to have a more consistent look and feel to it than other areas of the level which have more of a patched together feeling. I do like the weapon layouts and except for the Superhealth like the placement of the armor and other pickups. Looking forward to the next beta ... the map is definitely getting there and no doubt it fun to play ... looking for it to be more enjoyable after the next beta.

Comment

A fun map to play for sure, seems you do need to improve lighting in a few areas still, the odd couple of static meshes that are ill lit and what not~. The Plasma Rifle room, seems a bit basic, also when you fall... you can see your body just laying on the actual floor like a meter under the cloud effect you have going on, since it doesn't look poisonious or anything it just feels like it should be a bigger drop and the room itself needing more decoration.

It's fun to play, just needs tweaking with a few things here and there. Do like the ice rink effect in the flak cannon room, but it's a bit empty else wise... as far as gameplay goes I think you got it spot on, just lighting and decoration I would say need attension really. Also I would say it feels like it can handle 6 people, perhaps 8 at a push~ so I'd say it's a 2 to 6 rather then a 2 to 4 .

Comment

Update: Beta 3 version is out, there are more static meshes, they aren't so freaking mismatched (laughable really), and the powerups have been moved to different locations. It's up to you to explore it and find out what's what in the map. There are a lot of improvements in the visuals department and I think you might want to check that stuff out. And there's a little surprise in the bio-rifle room, don't go too close to it.

Comment

Beta 3.2 is out.

Comment

Beta 3.3: Changes are as follow: Static meshes have been added to the main room, a few boxes hindering movement have been removed, not to mention anything hindering movement has been either removed or fixed. Thank you for your time.

Comment

Nice changes but lose the door please ... the one leading to the shock room ... it looks out of place and really serves ZERO purpose on this level ... but I like how you cleared up the flak room and the area with the jump pad up to the stinger. I do think that the placement of the bio and the link should be switched just because the better weapon should be a bit riskier to get. I am still not certain about the UDamage location and about a small level having both the Berserk and UDamage pickups as well as the superhealth and the shieldbelt. But still the level is getting more fun ... still getting hung up sometimes in the area leading to the UDamage and sometimes on the steps in the flak room. Keep working on it because it is getting better.

Comment

I was going to put more doors in the level, sorry, I just didn't want to waste too much time on that, so I tried C&Ping them throughout the level. My mistake was that I didn't do a kismet for each one, so yeah, my bad. I was considering removing those windows from which you can view the amp and instead leaving a trim that allowed you to shoot the person attempting to go for the amplifier. The main thing though is that I need to put an alert for the Udamage so you know it's there. Another thing is that if you ever played DM-Fearless, there were two major powerups in that map, and it's tiny, perhaps even smaller than cryostasis, but what I'm working on is making the map easier to access, more room connections, fewer hallways to get mauled in.

Can you explain in detail how you get hung up in the amp room? I find it fine to get around in. The main problem I saw with it was that the ledge was too easy to jump on once you were on the platform. Remember, anything good is supposed to have a risk in getting it.

Comment

I would get stuck on the steps at the bottom off to the side. It just seems like I kept getting caught and sometimes had a hard time getting through the poles to do a proper double jump. I admit you make it dangerous to go after the Udamage ... I would rather the bots get it and I kill the bot and grab the Udamage after he drops it. Maybe better lighting to see where the steps are more clearly ...

Now about DM-Fearless you are right about having two powerups but your map has the shieldbelt as well as the Superhealth in addition to the two powerups ... for a map this size that just seems to me like overkill but no doubt it is fun ... just not competitive.

Comment

Beta 3.4 is out, with new kismet functions that allow the player to know when the Udamage is available. Link gun is now in central room, no more shield belt as I received complaints about the map being too small for the powerups I had placed. However, the map now has a competitive edge to its gameplay.

Comment

Tweaking is always a welcome request. If I see anything I dislike about the map, I'll change it. I'm even open to some ridiculous ideas. Although I don't know if I'll be able to implement them. I love feedback. I love love love it.

BUT I NEED FEEDBACK!!!

As of recently, the map only needs visual effects to further immerse the player. I was going to add a triggered fog volume in the Udamage room that basically notified players of the amp's presence. I've been told that this map is quite unique, is it because of the interactivity with the environment? Either way, I think it would be really cool if I could get some more feedback before I decide to finalize the map. So go ahead, don't be afraid to add feedback.

Comment

No fog please ... maybe a kismet alarm like Ignotium had in the Liandri Beta 6 ... so maybe ask him about it. But basically it was a red light and an alarm sound. Not really crazy about fog in levels as it always seems to run into performance issues and loss of some frames. I'll take a look at this level later on tonight and reply with any comments I may have.

Comment

Working...
                              X