X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Partisan RC1 (Download) (PC)

RC1 is up!

Changes include:
    • Low gravity outdoors, normal gravity indoors (by popular demand and easily the best solution to all of the travel problems between platforms)
    • Blue-tinted lighting in normal-gravity areas
    • New look to indoor areas
    • Pulsing effect for transitions between gravity levels
    • Removed collision from cylindrical connectors
    • Improved lighting in some areas
    • Botpathing where there didn't used to be
    • Some changed item placement

---

You know the deal: Floating platforms in space, scary narrow pathways, all that kind of thing. DM-Partisan is my first map in Unreal Tournament 3, and I want to gauge interest before I actually go through and take the time to polish it to an enjoyable state. Thin pathways and open areas aren't everybody's cup of tea, and the level itself could use some tweaking within its own formula.

Enough banter, onto the screenshots!

(I'll have new screenshots ready when I release the map)

If it doesn't look appealing, don't worry! I plan on prettying everything up after I get some opinions on the overall flow of the map. The lighting is especially bland and a little rough in some places, ignore that for now. Go on and play some botmatches or something, I don't care! Just test, test, test!

To clarify, I'm pretty new to 3D level design. It probably stands out compared to other map artists. I've made several UT2k4 maps for a class, all of which were enjoyed by my classmates, but now I need the gritty truth. The ultimate truth. THE INTERNET TRUTH.

This is my first map in UT3, and given the slightly different gameplay (less acrobatics, more destruction) it probably doesn't flow very well. I want the INTERNET to critique this level to a painful degree to hammer out what is good about this level, and what could get the axe by the time I finish it. So please, help your future level artists and kick me in the crotch a time or two. It's for the better.

DOWNLOAD RC1!
    FILEFRONT MIRROR!
    PS3 VERSION! .. is unavailable until it's cooked again!

Nice ... grabbing it now ... let me know if you want PS3 folks to have a version and I will take care of that shortly.

Edit: The link does not work.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
      Edit: The link does not work.
      It does now, sorry about that. My domain is still a little wonky.

edit: Okay, maybe it doesn't work for everybody. I threw it up on FileFront for those of you who cannot connect to my hosting for whatever reason.

Comment

Has the file been taken down? I'm keen to give it a shot but I'm getting a 404 on the link.

Comment

I've tampered with some settings on my hosting, and hopefully it won't hate a majority of DNS servers anymore. Hopefully. If not, there's always the FileFront link I've added to the OP.

Sorry for the trouble, I was hoping I'd shot down all of the problems with RedCoin before I hosted it there.

Comment

Okay ... finally downloaded it .... I'll get back to you shortly.

Comment

really good fun and original idea. keep up the good work m8!!

Comment

good job ...perhaps could be better with lowest gravity....and some propulsors
                in all ways thx for that other rockin'map^^

Comment

Looks nice.. trying it out now.

Update -
                  I'd agree that changing the gravity and adding some jump pads would seem better for this map. The way it is now, the walkways seem much too long. Also don't forget to add blocking volumes. I was getting stuck on these things all the time...

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.unrealjunkie.com/ut3/random/partisan_shot1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Not sure your plan on the lighting, but some strong directional lighting would make this look great.

Comment

Nice map so far ... this is a good first effort as you get to know the UT3 editor. I like the weapon layout and I have to say this a pretty hardcore map ... definitely not for noobs because there is not much room for error on the walkways. And weapons like the shock and stinger secondary will really be deadly as these will easily push you off into the empty abyss of space. It will be interesting to see how you are going to visually enhance this ... there is one room that is basically empty and I can imagine a few things ... I also like the use of the space objects ... you added just enough without going overboard and it really makes the level feel more immersive and well as having a clean look without being empty.

Also this works on the PS3 perfectly so if you would like the PS3 file to distribute to PS3 users and get more feedback let me know and I can send you the link or post it here and you can add it to the OP and of course change your title.

Comment

Post it here if you could, that'd be great. Thanks!

So far, I've decided on either reducing the length of most of the pathways, or decreasing the gravity. I'd much rather do the former, because the latter would throw off the indoor areas, as jumping would easily propel you into the ceiling. However, it'd also make traveling between platforms much easier, but at the same time make it much more dangerous for people getting shot back by the shock rifle. I might just go with jump pads and shorter pathways, in that case.

Comment

Okay man here you go ... the link to the PS3 version. You are very welcome. Glad I can help.

http://files.filefront.com/DM+Partis.../fileinfo.html

Comment

Hey! Really great looking map! But add jump pads and/or lowgravity! They map itself is pretty good

Comment

The general consensus is that the map either needs low gravity or more jump pads to counteract the long, dangerous travel times between platforms. What I'm considering doing is completely getting rid of a lot of the walkways on the outer sides all-together.

I'm going to post an updated beta tonight, with fixes such as the above, but also a bit more polish. I don't think I'll have the lighting done by then, but I at least want the level itself to "work" better in a vanilla deathmatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Karsh View Post
                              Post it here if you could, that'd be great. Thanks!

So far, I've decided on either reducing the length of most of the pathways, or decreasing the gravity. I'd much rather do the former, because the latter would throw off the indoor areas, as jumping would easily propel you into the ceiling. However, it'd also make traveling between platforms much easier, but at the same time make it much more dangerous for people getting shot back by the shock rifle. I might just go with jump pads and shorter pathways, in that case.
                              Why not do both?? All you have to do is create gravity volumes around the various areas, and you can have multiple gravity types through your map. Look at DM-Deimos that shipped with the game and do a Search for actors containing gravity. You will see that teh map has around 20 gravity volume throughout the map. Look at these nodes to see what type of various setting you will need to change... I think this would be the best solution IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X