vDM/vTDM-SKYCAP-Beta *UPDATED 2-13-08 BETA 2*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vDM/vTDM-SKYCAP-Beta *UPDATED 2-13-08 BETA 2*

This is a beta release of the formerly Vctf-Skycap we (me n NightEye) were workin on. It's Theme is of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, with nothing but air vehicles over a cityscape.

It's basically a Vehicle Deathmatch map, TDM or DM "for now", until we fix the bots in the Vctf mode and get that mutator embedded into the map or some coding to allow the raptor and cicada to carry the flag without the need for a mute.

Hope you enjoy the beta release
    If you find any bugs, please post them here, and if you have opinions, I'm very open to suggestions. (just try not to ask so much to cook for ps3. I'll cook for PS3 when it's finalized so I don't have to keep releasing beta after beta, but I will definitely have a closed beta test for PS3 for a select few, Anuban is first in line )

DOWNLOAD NOW:BETA 2 UPDATED 2-13-08

PC version (ps3 will come after this first beta test is complete in 2-3 days or so)
    http://files.filefront.com/DM+SkyCAP.../fileinfo.html

Also Recommend the JETPACK mute for further enjoyment
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...hlight=Jetpack

I'll try it out. Thanks.

Comment

Looks amazing

Comment

Cool man cool!!!! This baby looks insanely awesome ... I know you have another winner on your hands ... well I will be back with my comments sometime tomorrow. I need to finally get some sleep after being up nearly 48 straight hours mainly focusing on Unreal.

Edit: Oops you forgot to rename your readme file ... it still says Twisted Face Ultra.

Well I definitely like this level but I just am not good at flying vehicles like the Cicada so for me I can see this is not going to be as fun as I had hoped. But what I did notice right off was how much depth of field blur you have on the surroundings and I think that you may have overdone that effect. The buildings are not that far away and yet they are extremely blurry. I would probably look at CarbonFire or Gateway (city part) and use that value or something similar ... the use of DoF/Blur is well done and is very appropriate in terms of relative distance so I really think that will help you.

I'll have more to tell you once I get some sleep and play it tomorrow. Performance wise I had no frame issues ... the level definitely plays smooth.

Heh heh heh ... I just noticed how I am "first in line" for the PS3 testing ... well thank you very much sir ... you know I appreciate the chance to help you create another masterpiece of art and gameplay.

Comment

I was thinking "don't go online, you have to study, don't do it. But then again, 5 minutes won't hurt..."

And here I am downloading your map and ready to beta test... Screw you!

Comment

It's definitely promising, but I don't think it works well as a VDM map - at least not right now. The bots mostly just jumped in a Raptor/Cicada and then stayed in place, moving only when there was someone nearby to shoot at. Looking at the map in the editor, I think this is because very few of your volume pathnodes actually link directly to the vehicles in their starting positions. I've just had to use these pathnodes in one of my own maps, and they're definitely tricky. The closer they are to an obstacle, the smaller the radius for connecting to another pathnode nearby - so for tight spaces you need to place lots of them close together, while in open sky you can put them up to 2000 units apart. If you make sure those yellow lines link directly to the vehicles then you should get them flying between airships like they're supposed to.

I agree with Anuban about the DOF. It enhances the look of the level, but right now it's a bit over the top, and makes it a little too hard to spot distant Raptors against all that fuzziness. I think you could use some more light falling on the decks of the airships, too, as right now all that detail you've got down there is reduced to black shapes. Maybe just add a couple of extra spotlights near the propellers or something - nothing major.

Ambient sounds could also do with having their volumes reduced. In the editor all sounds that aren't labelled as sound cues seem to play at half volume or less, but at full volume in-game - so much so that right now all the wind and engine sound effects are really drowning everything out.

On the positive side, the map still looks beautiful and I love what you've done with the post processing and lighting. It's genuinely atmospheric, and when it comes to VCTF I can tell the dogfights between Raptors and Cicadas are going to be a lot of fun.

Comment

Wow, this looks great. Looking forward to the PS3 cook and will provide feedback.

Comment

It's finally, here will playtest tommorow too late here, must sleep XD.

Comment

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
                  It's definitely promising, but I don't think it works well as a VDM map - at least not right now. The bots mostly just jumped in a Raptor/Cicada and then stayed in place, moving only when there was someone nearby to shoot at. Looking at the map in the editor, I think this is because very few of your volume pathnodes actually link directly to the vehicles in their starting positions. I've just had to use these pathnodes in one of my own maps, and they're definitely tricky. The closer they are to an obstacle, the smaller the radius for connecting to another pathnode nearby - so for tight spaces you need to place lots of them close together, while in open sky you can put them up to 2000 units apart. If you make sure those yellow lines link directly to the vehicles then you should get them flying between airships like they're supposed to.

I agree with Anuban about the DOF. It enhances the look of the level, but right now it's a bit over the top, and makes it a little too hard to spot distant Raptors against all that fuzziness. I think you could use some more light falling on the decks of the airships, too, as right now all that detail you've got down there is reduced to black shapes. Maybe just add a couple of extra spotlights near the propellers or something - nothing major.

Ambient sounds could also do with having their volumes reduced. In the editor all sounds that aren't labelled as sound cues seem to play at half volume or less, but at full volume in-game - so much so that right now all the wind and engine sound effects are really drowning everything out.

On the positive side, the map still looks beautiful and I love what you've done with the post processing and lighting. It's genuinely atmospheric, and when it comes to VCTF I can tell the dogfights between Raptors and Cicadas are going to be a lot of fun.
                  We know about the Paths and well, I know about the DOF. Our viewable polycount was a bit high and we didn't want the FPS complaints, so we trimmed down the city and well, DOF was a way to cover up some flaws. I will make sure that is fixed.

About the paths, I knew you could force paths between VolumePath, just never tried also forcing it from vehicles....... that should fix everything now.

I like the amount of ambient sounds, but I will def. tone down the volume.

Comment

just play this map !

very fun map looks nice too
                    after all Bot use vehicle then really fun !
                    one thing I felt is at Base need little lighting ?
                    kind of too dark now I hope next version little more light on all base ...

Comment

So far I have agreed with everyone's opinions and all of the mentioned so far have been changed. I totally reworked the paths, and everything seems to work so much better. I still find that bots are completely stupid in vehicles as opposed to walking, but things look way more natural.

Comment

Originally posted by odkKoma View Post
                        I was thinking "don't go online, you have to study, don't do it. But then again, 5 minutes won't hurt..."

And here I am downloading your map and ready to beta test... Screw you!
                        I'm in the same boat. **** the intarwebz!

I must say, this is a phenomenal map. I'm still convinced that the Cicada is utterly useless, but I have a lot of fun with the raptor... and getting the redeemer.

I love the DOF and blur effects; they give this map a surreal feeling... and I have always felt that the amount of it applied on stock maps isn't enough and that the low-poly crappy distant objects are much too apparent. If you can tone it down without making the distant buildings any clearer it would be a nice balance... although what I just said sounds handily impossible. =)
                        I loved the subtle snow effects, and the motion of the zeppelins. So many fine details to this map. Some more and more varied lighting on the airships would make some of the details stand out a bit more, as someone said.

Loved the ambiance... if anything I'd want it louder and more varied. Would it be possible to make it louder as you neared the edges of the zeppelins and more gentle towards the middle?

Sometimes it felt a little hard to get to a useful weapon before a raptor took you out. Otherwise, very fun, amazing map. Thanks for your hard work =)

I don't know if you're planning a warfare version, but I must say that I think with some tweaking it could easily be one of the best warfare maps. There are none right now with as much of a focus on air vehicles. And it would force people to take some rather risky hoverboard rides on air vehicles as orb carrier... sniper heaven. I feel like a Hellfire would work pretty well on this map... if your team was protecting it from other air vehicles, you could pretty much wreck an enemy controlled airship. And I love the visual style so much that I want to be able to play it for just about every game mode. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
                          I'm in the same boat. **** the intarwebz!

I must say, this is a phenomenal map. I'm still convinced that the Cicada is utterly useless, but I have a lot of fun with the raptor... and getting the redeemer.

I love the DOF and blur effects; they give this map a surreal feeling... and I have always felt that the amount of it applied on stock maps isn't enough and that the low-poly crappy distant objects are much too apparent. If you can tone it down without making the distant buildings any clearer it would be a nice balance... although what I just said sounds handily impossible. =)
                          I loved the subtle snow effects, and the motion of the zeppelins. So many fine details to this map. Some more and more varied lighting on the airships would make some of the details stand out a bit more, as someone said.

Loved the ambiance... if anything I'd want it louder and more varied. Would it be possible to make it louder as you neared the edges of the zeppelins and more gentle towards the middle?

Sometimes it felt a little hard to get to a useful weapon before a raptor took you out. Otherwise, very fun, amazing map. Thanks for your hard work =)

I don't know if you're planning a warfare version, but I must say that I think with some tweaking it could easily be one of the best warfare maps. There are none right now with as much of a focus on air vehicles. And it would force people to take some rather risky hoverboard rides on air vehicles as orb carrier... sniper heaven. I feel like a Hellfire would work pretty well on this map... if your team was protecting it from other air vehicles, you could pretty much wreck an enemy controlled airship. And I love the visual style so much that I want to be able to play it for just about every game mode. =)
                          I am glad everyone is enjoying it, I just had a few hours of gameplay with the new bot paths and everyone should be happy.

The way I have it now (after the fixes this morning should be a good balance of DOF) will satisfy everyone. I have the city smaller and repeating, but you can't really tell while it slowly moves. I know we spice it up a tad before going out with beta2.

Well, our intention is to put it out in all of the modes, but since DM/TDM is the easiest to initially test, we chose that. Once everything is fine here, we will work on Warfare and if we can get the vehicles to except flags, then vCTF.

I love the Cicada....... you just haven't tried with the berzerk that is the map..... those missiles shoot freaking fast.

The reason I thought of this map, is because there are NO air vehicle only maps and we felt that it would add something in gameplay and style no one else was doing.

Comment

Kind of reminds me of a couple of air battle type levels in UT2k4. One of them was ONS-Tim Slate and the other was ONS-Aridoom ... I liked those and I am sure that with these new changes that you two have made this level is more enjoyable now ... when is the next version due out?

Comment

Originally posted by NightEye View Post
                              I am glad everyone is enjoying it, I just had a few hours of gameplay with the new bot paths and everyone should be happy.

The way I have it now (after the fixes this morning should be a good balance of DOF) will satisfy everyone. I have the city smaller and repeating, but you can't really tell while it slowly moves. I know we spice it up a tad before going out with beta2.

Well, our intention is to put it out in all of the modes, but since DM/TDM is the easiest to initially test, we chose that. Once everything is fine here, we will work on Warfare and if we can get the vehicles to except flags, then vCTF.

I love the Cicada....... you just haven't tried with the berzerk that is the map..... those missiles shoot freaking fast.

The reason I thought of this map, is because there are NO air vehicle only maps and we felt that it would add something in gameplay and style no one else was doing.
                              You were definitely right =)

I was actually just playing some more and I got a gunner and the berserk power up and I realized why Cicada's are worthwhile. They still seem a bit unwieldy as a whole, though. I guess its nice to have a map that showcases them as useful =P

Comment

Working...
                              X