Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-1on1-Gong! [beta] [PC] [pics]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-1on1-Gong! [beta] [PC] [pics]

CTF-1on-Gong! <--download link (beta1)
    The gargoyle doesn't like people stealing Field Lattice Generators.
    He also doesn't like the sound of a gong. Punish him using a gong near him on your way back.
    ========================================

This is essentially the first map shown in 3D Buzz's tutorial.
    i have modified it in many ways to make it a CTF map.
    The linked file is the UNPUBLISHED version but you can simple extract it in your published\cookedpc\custommaps\

I have plan to increase the rooms size to make it 3v3 CTF. but first i need you guys to test out this beta version and help me out sorting some of the problems im having.
    1. the dynamic gargoyle shadow resulting from the light representing the flames dont show unless you are really close. any fix?
    2. now THIS SUCKS. the NICE dynamic moving/jittering shadows (inc gargoyle's) that show in the "in editor game", do NOT show in the real game.
      I used highest detail. then even tried settings highest detail using UT Tweaker 2.5
      wtf? it doesn't matter if the map is cooked or not.
    3. how do i tell bots to not use a path when carrying the flag?
    4. map size is 4MB (with packages) (1MB rar). why the hell it reaches 10MB (9MB rar) after cooking?

in editor game:
    [screenshot]http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1381/ineditormj1.jpg[/screenshot]

in real game:
    [screenshot]http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6176/ingamewz9.jpg[/screenshot]

Things i used workarounds but i still wanna know what was wrong.
    1. I created the whole red side. edit > select all > alt drag > 180 rotation
      now after a few little edits, i have red and blue base working properly except:
      the "subtractive" brushes (its a subtractive level) of red base are missing "sides" (walls/roofs/floors). the brushes are there. the polygons are there. only the surfaces are missing. rebuilding didnt help.
      the newly created blue base is perfect. if I copy from current red base with missing "sides", i get a perfect copy of red base (with surfaces; with materials). but that one still remains surfaceless. why?

btw, i have just copied the surfaceless brushes, deleted them, put the copied in there.

2. I have a gargoyle at the center of the map, emitting flames and blocking the only** way until a trigger is used.
      the problem is that, I want the flames to to huge damage over time (almost kill) but not insta kill. So i used a Physics Volume (Damage per sec, cause pain, damage type fire) instead of a Kill volume.
      now the problem is that, i can run/jump through that volume 95% of time without getting hurt! it only starts to damage the player if s/he stays in the volume for a second. The volume is pretty small; can be run past in less than a second resulting no damage. how do i fix this?

btw, i have used a killz volume at last cause i found out what is causing Physics volume not to damage.

If you look at physics volume code, it uses a "volume timer" to damage.
      if you look at volume timer code, it uses a function which by design damages after 1 second and keeps doing that every second.

any simple workaround?

You have to select your mesh as a UT Ridgid Body and NOT a RidgedBody. This way you'll get the soft dynamic shadows and not the hard edge ones you may have see.

Comment

Judging by the screens this looks a lot like the first demo map in the video tutorials by Epic...

Comment

THANKS A LOT!

however, i dont remember the tutorials telling me that.
        and i still cant figure out why the shadow shows in "in editor game" and not in real game...

yes, it is. but it is modified in many ways; it's a ctf.
        i wanna make it larger later for 3v3 ctf.

Comment

im sorry to say...but this doesn't solve anything.
          the shadows are still missing "in game" but are present in "in editor game".

can anyone just download the map, run it once, take the flag and see if the flame creates shadows or not..

try both; in game and in editor game.

Comment

duel ctf o_O! ?

Comment

yeah, kinda like Joust of 2k4
              but with interactive hazard

Comment

Originally posted by WrATH View Post
                You have to select your mesh as a UT Ridgid Body and NOT a RidgedBody. This way you'll get the soft dynamic shadows and not the hard edge ones you may have see.

I find it ironic that you say that, as I've tried it with no success. Infact no matter the type of actor the mesh is or settings the light has, move lights seem to not cast dynamic soft shadows for me. The only light type thats even possible of doing dynamic soft shadows for me is a toggleable light.

I've been able to cast a dynamic soft shadow with every single mesh type with a toggleable light, but have had absolutely no success with a move light.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
                  I find it ironic that you say that, as I've tried it with no success. Infact no matter the type of actor the mesh is or settings the light has, move lights seem to not cast dynamic soft shadows for me. The only light type thats even possible of doing dynamic soft shadows for me is a toggleable light.

I've been able to cast a dynamic soft shadow with every single mesh type with a toggleable light, but have had absolutely no success with a move light.
                  Here's a shot of my Curse5 in game with realtime soft shadows, with just a point light, you need to set the lightshadowmode to modulate.

Comment

Well I have no problem casting a dynamic soft shadow with a regular point light with and without it being set to modulate. But with a move point light, dynamic shadows just dont work regardless of its settings or the meshes settings.

Heres a shot of two pure static meshes with a few option tweaks in them and a toggleable point light above.
                    [shot]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3064/softshadowsfp2.jpg[/shot]

Heres a move light on modulate as you say, and dynamic shadowing enabled for the static mesh.
                    [shot]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1905/movelightsx1.jpg[/shot]

Comment

I'm having the same problem. I just want a sunlight effect, which causes my castle to cast shadows on itself and on the terrain around it.

I got it to work in the editor by setting my spotlight to forcedynamiclight (I can't get the directional light to do anything). It works in the editor and in the editor game, but when I published the map and ran in UT3, all the shadows are gone.

Another problem is that the castle does not accept other lights at all, like the weapon pickup lights, and point lights.

Any new info on this topic would be great...

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
                        Well I have no problem casting a dynamic soft shadow with a regular point light with and without it being set to modulate. But with a move point light, dynamic shadows just dont work regardless of its settings or the meshes settings.

Heres a shot of two pure static meshes with a few option tweaks in them and a toggleable point light above.
                        [shot]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3064/softshadowsfp2.jpg[/shot]

Heres a move light on modulate as you say, and dynamic shadowing enabled for the static mesh.
                        [shot]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1905/movelightsx1.jpg[/shot]
                        He's a shot of my options which works ingame. of course if being as I'm using UTRidgedbody on the other mesh the PHYS physics needs to be set to non so it dont move when you shoot it.

Comment

AllowShadowVolumes=True

I changed one line in "UTEngine.ini"

AllowShadowVolumes=True

And it worked great. My shadows are there! Now how can I get that to work on other peoples computers?

Comment

The problem is not everyone will know because it's not default and your better off getting it to work default. Of course they will need to have their world setting on 5 to even see the dynamic shadows proper.

Comment

thanks everyone for helping but can someone clear this out for me...

so the bottomline is that unless you have
                              AllowShadowVolumes=True
                              you wont see dynamic shadows caused by a moving light?

i have tried world+tex detail 5 and even used UT3 Tweaker's Highest detail...failed to see the shadows so none set that to true. how the f*** tutorials supplied by Epic dont properly work in their own game?

Comment

Working...
                              X