DM-Downpour [Beta download + pics][Final version available]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Downpour [Beta download + pics][Final version available]

The final version of this map is available here: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...9#post25225879

Name: DM-Downpour
    Version: Beta
    Description: This is a medium-sized map set in a flooded city. Most of the combat takes places hopping between rooftops and small rafts, but there are a couple of buildings you can get inside too. The numerous high points and large open spaces should be fun for fans of the sniper rifle, especially when you catch someone trying to swim. Players that do fall in the water should be able to get back into the action quickly via nearby jump pads.
    Players: 6-8
    Download: http://files.filefront.com/DM+Downpo.../fileinfo.html
    Screenshots:

http://artrever.website12.com/Stuff/downpour2.jpg
    http://artrever.website12.com/Stuff/downpour3.jpg
    http://artrever.website12.com/Stuff/downpour4.jpg
    Comments:
    This is map #2 for me, and an attempt at something slightly different from the norm. I’d like feedback on all aspects, but in particular I’m interested in:

Performance - How's your FPS compared to other maps? Any suggestions for improving it?
    Bots - They go everywhere they're supposed to but I struggled to get them to behave sensibly while doing it. Let me know if you see them doing anything especially stupid.
    Item placement/flow - Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.
    The water - Is it too annoying when you fall in? Should I add more jump pads and rafts to help you get back into the fight quicker, or are there too many already?
    Collision - Let me know if anything needs blocking volumes, or if you find a way out of the level.

Thanks in advance for any help. Hope people find the map enjoyable.

Dude ... this ... is ... awesome. I am going to love this map ... my God I have been waiting for someone to make an urban map like this ... thank you thank you. You are one talented dude.

Comment

Very good map, I like city maps because it reminds me of UT99 intro, good idea with the flooding and seems to flow nicely. The performance is not to good but I wouldn't worry, as I remember big city maps like this in UT99/UT2k4 were hard on performance as well.

Good job overall.

Comment

Wow. I love these types of maps, themse is awesome suits unreal A LOT! Perhaps a version without rain because that can be hard on lower systems.

Comment

Looks very cool... How's the z-action (can't play it yet, unfortunately; my new rig is still being built)?

Comment

WOW feel GOW

really nice looking map !

Comment

Wow, truly a superior work. This map is great for some team deathmatch. Visuals are good and make great use of mostly stock assets to create something unique. Performance is about equal to the stock maps of similar size: 60 (cap) before combat, and never below 45 while playing. Great flow, great fun, well designed. I love it.

Are there any powerups? I couldn't find any... I swam around a bit, kind of hoping for a secret area. It would be pretty awesome if one of the buildings had an area you could enter from under water for a powerup, shield belt, redeemer... or something =)

Also, I notice that the water doesn't get as crazy as others with the post-processing. Have you considered giving the water a really dark coloration, hard to see through from above but easier to see through when in it/looking out. (I don't know anything about mapping, but maybe a really faux-reflective water surface) This would add a really awesome gameplay element to the map: sneaking around in the water. =) Combined with some kind of powerup or uberweapon hidden beneath the surface, that would be pretty fun.

I was very happy with the placement of weapons, health, and armor overall. The bots did great, and made nice use of the platforms and such for combat. I'm gonna go play a lot more; truly in love with this map.

Comment

Well it does look really good and I do like it but I just think the gameplay suffers because of all the water and how easy it is to end up in water battles with the bots who can shoot easily underwater while you flail about. I have to say that I didn't expect that level of flooded water ... I had a hard time with this layout unlike your first map Shrine and ammo seemed scarce and not that easy to find.

Shield belt was on the ledge of the building .. high up ... the building where the RL is in front of. Redeemer is right across from it but higher in a tunnel you access by taking a lift.

Now I think the water was nice done very well ... but this level takes some real adjusting to as far as flow. I think people expecting this to flow as well as Shrine will be somewhat disappointed. Swimming is okay in a map but only a small amount and more from choice then being forced to and the way this map is set up you really are forced to be a fish and like I said the bots are waaay better at that plus it is hard to jump out the water and that gets tiring trying.

I also found myself getting hung up on the fences which were acting as ramps ... I all too frequently had to jump over the front portion and when you are just running and not thinking about jumping with a bot on your *** or you are chasing one that is what you don't want to happen.

So I would have to say the level is a looker ... visually it is really amazing and you can tell you put some real effort and time into it. It is great job. But the gameplay just doesn't match up imo. I will definitely still keep it and yes it is fun but it is not quite the quality gameplay I expected after Shrine. I still look forward to the next beta ... don't now if there is a way you can "drain the basin" in most areas and just have one flooded area with a good pickup to make it worth going around. (like Krodan and how like Disarray v1.2 beta has a pool that is optional for the most part but has a superhealth) I think that would really help the flow ...

Edit: Bots are great btw and my performance was just fine, so good job there ... if you get rid of a lot of the water you may improve performance for others though. Although I know some people were looking for at least one good level where you fight underwater ... I think that mechanic works fine for online because everyone has the same advantages/disadvtgs but for offline play with bots no way ... the bots are just as crack shots and excellent at maneuvering under water.

Comment

Eh, Anuban, I disagree. I only found myself in the water a couple of times, and it was always a "****, I need to be more careful feeling" moreso than being annoyed with the water. Perhaps because of that I felt that the flow was very good =P

Found the redeemer and stuff though =)

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
                    Eh, Anuban, I disagree. I only found myself in the water a couple of times, and it was always a "****, I need to be more careful feeling" moreso than being annoyed with the water. Perhaps because of that I felt that the flow was very good =P

Found the redeemer and stuff though =)
                    That's cool .. I didn't say I expected anyone to agree ... obviously I know how you felt since you posted right above me and yet I didn't need feel the need to start off my post saying how I disagreed with your feelings. What is it with people that they can't let people express how they feel about a level to the level author with always stating how they disagree ... who cares ... you are not even making the map and I am not even talking to you in the first place, sorry I don't mean to sound harsh but its the truth ... that's how I feel when people say that to me. You are entitled to your own opinion and I am entitled to mine ... respect that please.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
                      That's cool .. I didn't say I expected anyone to agree ... obviously I know how you felt since you posted right above me and yet I didn't need feel the need to start off my post saying how I disagreed with your feelings. What is it with people that they can't let people express how they feel about a level to the level author with always stating how they disagree ... who cares ... you are not even making the map and I am not even talking to you in the first place, sorry I don't mean to sound harsh but its the truth ... that's how I feel when people say that to me. You are entitled to your own opinion and I am entitled to mine ... respect that please.
                      I absolutely respect your opinion. I was just replying to it.

Comment

I absolutely respect your opinion. I was just replying to it.
                        Fine .. but don't start off telling me how you disagree with me when it is clear that you have totally different feelings about the level. ALthough I find it interesting you think it has good flow considering you couldn't even find the deemer and the shield belt and both were relatively out in the open ... see this is what I mean about the flow.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
                          Fine .. but don't start off telling me how you disagree with me when it is clear that you have totally different feelings about the level. ALthough I find it interesting you think it has good flow considering you couldn't even find the deemer and the shield belt and both were relatively out in the open ... see this is what I mean about the flow.
                          I don't consider disagreeing and discussing it offensive. You need to relax, my friend.

Comment

I don't consider disagreeing and discussing it offensive. You need to relax, my friend.
                            It is not just about what you consider "my friend" ... anyway this thread needs to get back on track and focus on this level.

Setheran I also meant to say that instead of using a Redeemer again as your main pickup ... you could use a power pickup or the superhealth just to switch things up a bit. I always like seeing the Berserk pickup on a level ... Invis would be cool as well ... anyway that is it from me for now ... I am going to play it some more tonight and see if I feel any differently once I learn the layout better but that just was not necessary on Shrine and that is what concerns me. But **** is this a sexy map.

Comment

Well I just played it again and basically I stick with what I said plus I think the map is waay to hit scan dominant and there needs to be something in the middle to break all that up or like I say this ends up being a very elaborate arena map. The placement of the shieldbelt is especially problematic in this setup because as soon as you get it you are getting hit from everywhere ... shock, sniper, rocket launchers and that makes it really useless and just no fun to even go and hunt for ... some challenge is fine sure but this is just nuts.

Also I was getting hung up on alot of the incline ramps not just the fence ones as I had originally thought so please check those ... I got blasted because I got stuck .. you know how fast things can happen and had I kept moving that rocket would have missed me. This map reminds me of my ex ... I know that she really has very little depth and she ****** me off constantly but I was so attracted to her looks that for a long time I dealt with all the hassle. I don't know what you are going to do but I hope it works out into something we can all live with. At any rate it should be interesting to see how this turns out.

Edit: And instead of the redeemer how about a UDamage award? I am tired of having nowhere to go when a bot gets the redeemer and I am flopping about in the water.

Comment

Working...
                              X