Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

DM-Fractal [FINAL] [Screenshots] [PC & PS3] [Updated]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM-Fractal [FINAL] [Screenshots] [PC & PS3] [Updated]

Name:
    DM-Fractal

Version:
    Final Version

Compatibility:
    UT3 v1.2

Description:
    LRC public polls have found that the majority of Tournament viewers enjoy fights in ‘Real Life’ locations. This converted plasma reactor is one such venue. Fighters should take care, as the plasma energy beams will become accessible through the ‘Fractal Portal’ if any of the yellow LED triggers on the floor are shot.

Screenshots:

Download:

DM-Fractal [PC] (16.09 MB)
    DM-Fractal [PS3] (8.23 MB)

Credits:
    • Dave Ewing for the original DM-Fractal map layout
    • Epic Games for the slightly altered materials I have used, as well as making the game and it's UnrealEd toolset
    • Hourences for his real-time camera tutorial
    • Vectorspace for the floating pickup technique
    • Finally (and least of all truly), me for getting this map done for UT3

remakes of maps with traps!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! downloading!

oh wait..jerk...no downloads yet!!!

Comment

I am waiting, sir =P

Comment

Download links added.

Two download links added for your pleasure and amusement (Beware, it can be quite chaotic in there ) The third one bugged out so I'm re-uploading again...

EDIT: Well never mind the third one, it's not working. I'll find some place else if there truly is a necessity for it.

Comment

Kick ass! This map was always crazy fun in UT99 with 10 or so bots and volatile ammo, good to see it ported (at last).

Comment

Looks cool ... I always enjoyed Fractal back in the Original UT so it should be interesting to see how this map looks and plays. Thanks man ... btw are you going more for a totally classic remake or a reinterpretation using new UT3 materials and effects, etc. ?

Comment

Well I wouldn't recommend 10 bots in this version since I have a feeling the scaling might be a bit off, but I know you'll tell me about that. If it needs to be scaled, I'm prepared to do it, I think it does though.

As for the remake part, well considering the fact that I added some detail in the map, especially many meshes that complement the whole "reactor" theme like pipes and supports and whatnot (look near the roof), I think it would be appropriate to say this is a UT3 level after all, and not simply a direct port (Even though in essence it is, that is why the scaling might be off). Anyway, play it and tell me what you think of it!

By the way if you have any suggestions for additional decoration, lighting, optimization and anything really, let me know and I'll consider it (After all, UT99 maps are a bit barren compared to UT3 maps, so basing myself on textures only for decoration is a bit hard and I think there could still be more deco in this map. But I don't know what to add.)

Comment

This is my favorite arena-type map released yet for UT3. Very different lighting than stock maps/most mod maps. Great work =)

Comment

Wonderful looking remake, i'll give it a try and post some feedback later.

Comment

Thanks Looking forward to hearing more from you

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
                      Well I wouldn't recommend 10 bots in this version since I have a feeling the scaling might be a bit off, but I know you'll tell me about that. If it needs to be scaled, I'm prepared to do it, I think it does though.

As for the remake part, well considering the fact that I added some detail in the map, especially many meshes that complement the whole "reactor" theme like pipes and supports and whatnot (look near the roof), I think it would be appropriate to say this is a UT3 level after all, and not simply a direct port (Even though in essence it is, that is why the scaling might be off). Anyway, play it and tell me what you think of it!

By the way if you have any suggestions for additional decoration, lighting, optimization and anything really, let me know and I'll consider it (After all, UT99 maps are a bit barren compared to UT3 maps, so basing myself on textures only for decoration is a bit hard and I think there could still be more deco in this map. But I don't know what to add.)
                      Thanks for the reply ... sounds cool ... I'll get back to you for sure.

Comment

I scaled it a bit using the scaling widget while having all the actors selected, then rebuilded and playtested it just before and after playing the original UT99 one and I think I like the scaled one a bit more (especially since it's almost dead on with the original scale, I guess I got lucky ). If you feel like it needs scaling, I'll work on the scaled one from now on, but I have to redo all the lighting first since they apparently didnt scale with all the rest, as well as some object placement (One lift is completely out of it's path so it's banging me against the roof xD).

Sleep tight, I will continue tomorrow

Comment

Great Job! I was going to take on the task of remaking this map, now i don't have to! Looks like you did a great job on it! dling!

EDIT: just read your request for ideas on improving detail in the level; Some thoughts that I had were to just add lots of detailed pipes and "reactor-like" meshes on the outer walls, i bet the lliandri packages have alot of good stuff. Also maybe redoing the pillars and adding some details or breaking the pillars up into seperate pipes or beams? Also, maybe instead of having computer screens, maybe adding some sorts of windows that are blocked to the player but allow viewing of reactor control rooms or maybe like other parts of the reactor. maybe moving pistons/ glowing electricity type stuff? these were some of the things i thought about doing when i got around to remaking the map, but kinda senseless to remake it now since it looks like you did the map great justice. All in all though, i think playability over clutter is king in Fractal, as it arent that big to begin with, and getting stuck on meshes = booo.

Comment

The map looks great from the screenshots, however, I have encountered a slight problem playing it. All other maps work fine but when I load this one UT3 crashes.

Comment

Hmm hopefully I have not messed up with the packages and you are the only one with the crash problem. If everyone else has this problem I hope that the next version (Most likely the scaled one) that will be out will correct it, as I have no idea what could be causing it since it obviously works fine on my end.

As for the ideas, thanks man I'm still learning the UnrealEd so I'll have to look a bit for some help for making the emitters and all (The lasers are static meshes with no collision on them xD), but the windows I should be able to do, as well as the moving pistons and pipes. I'll work on that when the basic scaled version is done however (That means that it looks exactly like the small one, but scaled; because right now the lighting is messed up because of said scaling and absence of Tools->Scale Map. Thanks Epic :/).

Comment

Working...
                              X