DM-aX_Agony_BETA [Pics][Download][FINISHED]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-aX_Agony_BETA [Pics][Download][FINISHED]

I have done a remake of the Classic DM-Agony from ut99 for ut3 to learn how to make maps and to get experience with the unrealED...

it wasnt planed to publish it because its my first map in general. while i made this map i learned a lot of cool stuff: making materials, terrain, water, how emitter work, lightning, brushes, static meshes, mover and kismet action already ...

its much fun to make maps and this wont be my last one

the map has reached beta-status now, im unsure for the following changes:
    - better doorframes
    current door-frames are very provisional and dont really look good
    - effects and colors
    this map should look mystic, if you know improvements in color, lightning, postprocessing etc, feedback will be appreciated
    - static meshes for the wood-parts
    in a few rooms, theres a wood-trapeze at the top of the wall, in UT99 there was a shield and a swort but i havnt seen anythink like that at the ut3 packages and i cant make them myself
    - i also have to add some more sound for the water and for the burning leaves on the walls when u shoot them

i know this map is a bit too small (ca. 5%) but its too late to change it now

older pics:

[screenshot]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9994/screenshot00006st1.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/2927/screenshot00007hu9.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2093/screenshot00008tk4.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4963/screenshot00009do6.jpg[/screenshot]

Code:
    ====================================================================================
    ====================================================================================

DM-aX_Agony BETA (4-12 Players)

For Unreal Tournament 3

Title: The Pit of Agony Remake BETA

Author: aLeX

Playername: aLeX^wusel

Homepage: Comming soon :)

Release Date: January 2008

Build Time: a few weeks

Description: 

Credits: 
    - Sidney 'Clawfist' Rauchberger for making the orginal UT99 Map
    - MsM for making a great UT2004 Remake of it
    - ->UT2X<-Hyperion for making a cool utility to prepare classic maps for ut3 editor import
    - Hourences great mapping tutorials
    now have fun

DOWNLOAD
    http://files.filefront.com/DM+aX+Ago.../fileinfo.html FINAL (newest file)
    http://files.filefront.com/DM+aX+Ago.../fileinfo.html BETA1 (old file)
    http://files.filefront.com/DM+aX+Ago.../fileinfo.html BETA2 (old file)

How cool ... another version of Agony to check out ... yummy! Thanks man ... I'll be sure to share my thoughts with you once I play it.

Comment

Looks good,

curious to see both versions final

Comment

oh could an mod/admin change the thread-title to "DM-aX_Agony_BETA [Pics][Download]"? thx

Comment

just edit it urself!

Comment

Dude you absolutely nailed the size. It is perfect imo. I just played yours and then did a flythrough of the UT99 original and yep faithful 100% cramped where it should be ... anyway the only thing I did think you needed to do was to add shock and enforcer ammo on the upper level right in the corner on the way to picking up the armor helmet. Its bare now and the original has those two ammo pickups (nit picking seemingly but since everything else is so exact lets get this right as well, eh?)

Also you need to replace the helmet with the thigh armor like in the original since we have that available. And then add some trim where appropriate and lose the fog and you have yourself a release candidate. I did find your choice of wooden ramps a bit interesting as you have planks that people can shoot through for an added gameplay twist instead of the regular wooden walkways where the planks are horizontal and there are no gaps. I don't know if that works seeing as how everything else is so faithful to the original so you may want to rethink that ... actually I like it ... it gives it its own unique variant look.

So yeah this is a really good remake so far ... I definitely will look forward to the next beta and seeing how you added just a bit more to the look and seeing if you added that leg armor so I can get to 150 armor points as I was meant to.

Comment

thank you for the great feedback

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
              ... anyway the only thing I did think you needed to do was to add shock and enforcer ammo on the upper level right in the corner on the way to picking up the armor helmet. Its bare now and the original has those two ammo pickups (nit picking seemingly but since everything else is so exact lets get this right as well, eh?)
              ah right, i completely lost them... i thought already that i may forgot about some ammo-pickups but didnt found them first. will be added.

Also you need to replace the helmet with the thigh armor like in the original since we have that available. And then add some trim where appropriate and lose the fog and you have yourself a release candidate.
              replacing helmet with thigh armor is ok, this will be changed to make it more classic
              what do u mean exactly with trim and fog? i havnt added fog at all. what you see at the water-place is some steam and this effect in front of the two beautiful ladies is a shiny effect only. i reduced that shiny-effect a bit already, because you cant see through them very good. if you mean that i will reduce it a bit more

I did find your choice of wooden ramps a bit interesting as you have planks that people can shoot through for an added gameplay twist instead of the regular wooden walkways where the planks are horizontal and there are no gaps. I don't know if that works seeing as how everything else is so faithful to the original so you may want to rethink that ... actually I like it ... it gives it its own unique variant look.

So yeah this is a really good remake so far ... I definitely will look forward to the next beta and seeing how you added just a bit more to the look and seeing if you added that leg armor so I can get to 150 armor points as I was meant to.
              i got that idea of the brighter wooden ramps as a design-aspect only because it looked so boring and too masive. after changing it all i noticed a change in gameplay too, i know what you mean. in instagib for example it will be easy now to hit someone through the planks and also hear and see opponents in general. it makes sense but i think it is good this way and as you said it adds some unique part to it where everythink was aimed to make it like the classic version.
              i dont think the classic-version is perfect, as i played the UT2k4 Version from MsM ( http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=474660 ). i think he really improved the map by adding rain, steam and that stuff. so i try to improve my version by adding those ramps and water and so on.

i also learned some cool stuff with the kismet-language. the lift is currently looking too industrial with that metal-platform and the wheel but for learning-reasons i made it this way and it was ok then.

Comment

Hey thanks for the detailed reply and yes I agree with everything you have said ... the only thing wrong with MsM's remake to me was that the ambient sounds were way too loud. But other than that it was a fantastic remake so I do appreciate the little twists ... for example the other Agony remake will have a UDamage under one of the ramps and also either two link gun pickups or two bio pickups. I just played it again and really cannot find much fault with it. I do tend to get stuck though in the area right underneath the RL and close the chest armor underneath the steps on the way towards the flak room or large area ... maybe it is the long wooden boards I am catching on? Thanks again for a really awesome remake. It was a blast playing this in a map list with Codex, the Liandri Beta, the other Agony remake, Phobetor, and Pripya ... man I had fun.

Comment

nice to see that you have fun on that map

did you shoot already the wall with all those foliage? try it but have to be a rocket or flak-grenade

ok i found those places where you can get stuck and fixed them

this is the current changelist:
                  • Helmet at sniper-place replaced with thight-pads
                  • forgotten shock-rifle and enforcer-ammo at the way to the sniper-rifle (top corner) placed
                  • reduced the shiny-effect in front of the two beautiful ladies a little cause you cant see through it very good
                  • The lift doesnt match really the atmosphere of that map, i made a wooden-one insteat
                  • increased the height of the corridor at the flak-cannon

Comment

Wow ... that all sounds like it is going to be an even more perfect version ... nice.

Comment

Downloaded and played. This is sooooooo good. Think this is the best one yet a real keeper. Thanks for all your hard work.

Comment

where is the link to the new version that is even better than this current one?

Comment

thx for playing and comments

there is currently no other download, only this BETA version.

i still have to know about the following points (first post) before i finish and release that map:

• - better doorframes
                            current door-frames are very provisional and dont really look good
                          • effects and colors
                            this map should look mystic, if you know improvements in color, lightning, postprocessing etc, feedback will be appreciated
                          • static meshes for the wood-parts
                            in a few rooms, theres a wood-trapeze at the top of the wall, in UT99 there was a shield and a swort but i havnt seen anythink like that at the ut3 packages and i cant make them myself
                          • i also have to add some more sound for the water and for the burning leaves on the walls when u shoot them

i need feedback on them.

Comment

You got feedback on them ... they look great ... come on man you can't let people hold you up ... several of us have played this and commented ... so what is the issue? How many people are you waiting for to post something ... this is a beta and sometimes people don't get around to all the various beta content. Please don't let that slow you down when you have such a fine map. Especially if you already have the newer version built ... you should put that out and see if the changes you have made add anything to the current beta build or if you should stick with the way you had it. Maybe I am misunderstanding you ... in any event I really hope the new version will be available to test soon. Thanks.

Comment

ok, there is your second BETA version

http://files.filefront.com/DM+aX+Ago.../fileinfo.html

Comment

Working...
                              X