No announcement yet.

DM-Calahan2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe he actually doesn't want us to play this level yet afterall. Don't know for sure but he hasn't even responded since posting this. You think he would be interested in getting feedback. Hmm. Why don't more people just use filefront.com?

Comment

Wow thank you guys for posting so quickly , two pages in only one nignt (for me I mean, I'm french).
      Maybe he actually doesn't want us to play this level yet afterall. Don't know for sure but he hasn't even responded since posting this.
      That is not exactly the right reason: few month ago unrealplayground didn't require any approbation time, so I thought it would be the same now, but no...

Anyway I'm uploading it on mediafire, filefront and other hosts like mapraider, so you could dl it soon

Concerning the changes, there are some sreens to show them:
      /!\arriving soon, imageshack seems to be busy now /!\

@Mr.UglyPants: I thought I will remake coldfire for ut3 too, but imo it is too much based on "tricky moves" like walldodges double dodge or "rankin planks" to be played in ut3.

EDIT: MediaFire link
      FileFront link

Comment

Thanks man ... yeah we are a bunch of map junkies around here so always expect feedback .. especially when the level is as good as this one. Anyway I've been waiting for hours so I'll just say thanks ... time to go and play this baby! Oh yeah I knew that wasn't the reason I was just a little frustrated and was hoping it would motivate you to hurry up and get us some more links.

Comment

ok ok ^^

So here are the screens of the changes:

Now you can get to the sniper in three ways:

-with the jumper I added:

-with a lift wich replace the inclined wall of the 2k4 version:

-with the second lift you can see in one of the first sreens. It was in the previous version.

I also replaced the corned in wich there was a health item and a tree by two stairs to have more ways to get to the first floor:

I deleted the big boxes wich were useless imo, so it's easier to take the shock now:

Finaly, I made the rocket place accessible from the floor, because we can no longer do a wall dodge from the sock to take it, and I think it gives a better flow to the map:

Comment

Wow ... this is nice but it kind of shocked me how many differences there are between this and the UT2k4 version. I do think you should make the Flak more interesting to get by placing it back on top of a crate like in the original. I know its your map and you definitely know it better than anyone that is why I am a bit surprised. No planks at all? No steam lift jump pad ... and a jump pad in a place there wasn't one ... no plank for the superhealth that you lift jump to? Lots of changes make this map play differently from your original and the size seems larger and more spread out so that 4 or 5 bots could fight in this level. But it looks sweet I will say that ... it is darker than the original, don't know if you really intended that but I did want to let you know. The final should be really interesting based on the comments you receive. I'll be looking forward to it.

Edit: LOL ... ha I see you and I posted at the same time ... and you read my mind! Thanks for answering all my questions ... as I was thinking them!

Comment

Also the planks and crates added to the atmosphere and really enhanced the visuals and they worked even if you didn't do fancy moves ... I know because I don't do fancy moves. Something to think about. I really miss the steam jump pad ... it really gave the original a little something extra ... y'know what I mean. Also is the Superhealth still somewhere on the level ... please say it is. lol

Comment

I think you're right concerning the crates and planks in a decorative point of view, I think I should add some small ones where they was...
                And yes, the steam jumpads were much better than those ones, but now the jumpad actor comes with a mesh and Y don't know if hidding it still allow player to use it.
                That's the same for the weapodbases, if you hide it, you hide the weapon too...

PS: no keg anymore, sorry , it unbalance so much the match in duel: you get at the right place at the right time, you can take the belt, jump to the sniper to take the keg and finaly jump too the armorvest, in about 5 secs...
                But may be I should replace the medium health item by 5/6 small healths, so you can take them even if you've more than 100.

Comment

The problem with not having the superhealth is that since there is no more adrenaline based powers a player cannot ever get to 199 health and at least with the superhealth you have that chance especially since you can only ever max out at 50 armor on your level as well. I think that is what many mappers are not taking into account when they don't offer the shield belt and SH in this version of UT3. Again just something to think about. Thanks for adding some planks and crates back though.

Also those mountains in the backdrop are perfect candidates for some depth of field effect with some blur ... like in Shangri-la and Carbonfire.

Comment

Cute little map!

Too bad it's so tiny and therefore uncompetetive

Comment

Originally posted by Chief-Justice View Post
                      Cute little map!

Too bad it's so tiny and therefore uncompetetive
                      At the origin, the ut2k4 version was designed for duel, and I saw it was also quite playable in 2v2 but lot of people told me that it was too small for that.

In the ut3 version I tried to keep this size because such a simple layout is not adapted to 4v4 or 5v5 TDM (TAM soon?).

Imo 1v1 is the best account, if you play it online. Offline 1v1 is a bit to slow cause the bots don't try to find you but they just take all weapons and item, so 2v2 is better here.

PS: there is no pathnodes in this beta so don't care about silly bot's pathes

Comment

This map looks beautiful. well done and thank you very much for filefront link much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by glator View Post
                          @Mr.UglyPants: I thought I will remake coldfire for ut3 too, but imo it is too much based on "tricky moves" like walldodges double dodge or "rankin planks" to be played in ut3.

EDIT: MediaFire link
                          FileFront link

Sad to hear, though i agree, well i can't wait to see this remake done and i can't wait to see a new map of yours created. i'll post feedback in the coming days.

I tried it, i'm running an 8800GTX with 2 gigs of ram, all the Epic maps i run at around 58 to 62 fps, this map, it usually stays around 25 or 30, in many places like the Link Gun corridor or the rox pickup the **** fps drop to 18 or 14. This map looks amazing, but it needs optimization, alot of it.

I'll give more feedback in the new year.

Comment

wow that's strange, I've got a 8800gts and 2Go and I'm always over 50fps, sometime over 90 O_o
                            At first I had the same problems because of some light functions using too many resources, but I fixed it...
                            And I read some tutorial by Hourences about optimisation on UT3, but it seems not to be adapted for this kind of map

Comment

Please add bot pathing to the next beta ... it is no fun testing maps with bots who offer little challenge. Just a little would be great especially given the size of the level.

Comment

This map is amazing. Definitely a keeper, even if you just left it like this.

Beautiful, and this is a map that the darkness works for; it adds to the mood and makes the dynamic lighting from the weapons and characters stand out.

It stays near my tweaked 60 FPS cap most of the time, but it could definitely use some optimization, as most maps around this size don't go lower than 59 FPS for me =P

Is the name Calahan at all inspired by Dune's Castle Caladan? I definitely get that vibe from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X