• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-CanyonFearBeta3 DOWNLOAD

Name: CanyonFear
    Version: Beta 3
    Compatibility: UT3
    Description: A Remake of a UT99 Map that came with the Dreamcast version.
    Download: HERE
    Updates since Beta 2:
    -Added Ambient Sounds
    -Added Music
    -Changed the Materials on the rocks and ground
    -Added Grass to the terrain.
    -Fixed many bugs in the terrain (may still be some)

Images

I like maps like these ... they kind of remind me of Antalus (maybe this is where the inspiration for Antalus came from) .. a nice outdoor grass and terrain map ... now since this is a beta what is the goal exactly? Can you add some things to spruce it up a tad or is this supposed to be a faithful remake so this is it?

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
      I like maps like these ... they kind of remind me of Antalus (maybe this is where the inspiration for Antalus came from) .. a nice outdoor grass and terrain map ... now since this is a beta what is the goal exactly? Can you add some things to spruce it up a tad or is this supposed to be a faithful remake so this is it?
      The original map was a little bit smaller, I made this a bit bigger so I could add all the weapons in. The Layout I don't want to change. I'd like to make some grass that actually sticks up out of the terrain but haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

wait a minute aren't you still working on that other map? Do you think it is wise to do two at the same time?

Comment

wait a minute aren't you still working on that other map? Do you think it is wise to do two at the same time?
          sure, I have a few others I'm doing too...trying to learn the different areas of the editor ya know

Comment

Plays really well.What can I say,Necron does it again!

Comment

This map has a lot of potential It is almost like a blank canvas waiting for life so I am just going to make some suggestions and you decide what you want to do.

- The first thing I noticed was the texture of some of the rocks are kind of bubbly looking ... the dark grey rocks that have the health vials on them in particular ... so I would say look at the rock textures in Gateway, War-Islander, and VCTF-Corruption and use more of those types of textures.

- The spots where you have dips (like near the link gun and near the flak cannon) in the terrain that connect to the rock hills shows off a clean line and not a merging/blending of the two textures like in other spots on your level.

- The level is very bare and needs a structure of some kind that allows users to pass through it and this structure (you only need one good structure on a map this size and maybe a natural rock formation bridge to get to it on one side and a jump pad or portal on the other). If you look at maps like Islander, Gateway (the tropical/jungle part), Antalus from UT2K4 you'll notice a central kind of structure that once can pass through which is good for breaking up hitscan weapons and also adding variety and eye candy to a level. Now I don't know what kind of structure you might want to make but try and pick something that blends in well and is open on multiple sides so that the flow is not disrupted. I will leave it to you to decide if you want more of a natural structure or a man-made/necris-made one.

- Again I would say take a look at Gateway and notice some of the trees and the lush trim they are using ... the flora in that map is really good and would definitely help add a nice look to your level. You could borrow some nice things from Gateway to really spruce this level up. One other thing would be a stream or small pond or mini lake.

- The map is a good size but I didn't see any nice pickups like the UDamage or the Berserk (Invis is starting to get used too much so I would rather see the berserk pickup on this level) and this is where a nice structure comes in handy and can help even more with the flow since bots and humans will always want that pickup.

Well that is all I can think of and I am pretty much going to leave my suggestions at that and see what the next beta looks like and what other people have to add. Thanks again man ... you are definitely learning alot and have a really good handle on flow so good luck. I'll be waiting for the next beta.

Comment

I think this map best for Vehicle DM

hope vehicle DM version you make too

Comment

Plays well, fun map!

A few suggestions and fixes:

A couple of the player starts are aimed at walls and things. A bit disconcerting to spawn and be nose to a rock.

Ambient sounds would be nice, theres plenty of sound loops of wind, birds, etc.

Screenshot of a couple flaws, first a nasty terrain jaggy that you can get stuck in. Second, a tree that needs aligned to floor.

Great start though, and it really does play well, just needs finishing off

Comment

Yes I knew I forgot to add something and that is the ambient sounds .... actually once again I would recommend DM-Gateway as the lush green tropical/primordial jungle like part has plenty of ambient sounds and that is what you can use as a starting point at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Enos Shenk View Post
                      Plays well, fun map!

A few suggestions and fixes:

A couple of the player starts are aimed at walls and things. A bit disconcerting to spawn and be nose to a rock.

Ambient sounds would be nice, theres plenty of sound loops of wind, birds, etc.

Screenshot of a couple flaws, first a nasty terrain jaggy that you can get stuck in. Second, a tree that needs aligned to floor.

Great start though, and it really does play well, just needs finishing off
                      added ambient sounds, music, fixed the jaggies, fixed the floating trees, removed the crooked trees because of some weird blocking volume it had, and rotated playerstarts.

thanks for the advice!

Comment

I hope you had a look at some of the maps I suggested as well.

Comment

I hope you had a look at some of the maps I suggested as well.
                          i did...unfortunately, once i started changing a few materials, the editor gives me some "shader compile error" when trying to cook....

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Necron99 View Post
                            i did...unfortunately, once i started changing a few materials, the editor gives me some "shader compile error" when trying to cook....
                            I'm sure one of the many talented and helpful mappers around here would be happy to give you some assistance in the correct forum. Good luck and don't stress too much ... you'll get it eventually .. I have confidence in your abilities and the helpfulness of the community.

Comment

Updated! hope you all like the changes

Comment

Working...
                              X