Mutant [Previously Juggernaut][Alpha Release][v0.1]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mutant [Previously Juggernaut][Alpha Release][v0.1]

Mutant is a game type in which everybody battles to become the Mutant for 2 main reasons - the Mutant receives a significant armor bonus and increase in weapon selection and firing speed, and more importantly, the Mutant is the only player who can score kills. To become the Mutant, you must kill the player who is currently the Mutant.

This is an early alpha release, and as such many things still need to be finished..
    1. Clearer indication of which player is currently the Mutant.
    2. Many in-game messages need tweaking.
    3. Adjustable settings for which bonuses the Mutant should receive.
    4. Gametype image in selection screen.

Please download and post back here with any bugs/suggestions/requests.. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Download here: http://ut.avilcsak.info/dl/Mutantv0.1.zip and extract to Unreal Tournament 3/ root directory.

Thanks
    -Jefe

Like mutant ?

Comment

Very much so.. I'm not sure if the scoring is the same as Mutant.. In this one, only the Juggernaut can score kills, was this case in Mutant?

Comment

Mutant also has all weapons; which is bad: already overpowered stinger+ increased firing speed. Almost on all UT2004 mutant servers i played, mutants sued minigun only.

Comment

Yeah, sounds a lot like Mutant, and I loved the gametype idea.... but skaju is right that having all weaps is just plain silly. It would be cool to remake it and make it configurable.... with the default setting being limited to a few specific weapons. After all, in UT3 the weapons are way more lethal, so the mutant may need to be nerf'd slightly (like the health should drop faster, or the mutant should get less bonus health/time for kills).

Anyway, are you aware that there's a "Juggernaut" bonus announcement in UT3 already? It happens when you get 2 powerups at the same time, like UDamage and Berserk. Not sure that it matters, but I wanted to throw it out there that it might be misleading.

Comment

Right now they get flak, rocket launcher and minigun I think... The plan is to make this configurable in the future.

Any other ideas to how they could be given a disadvantage?

I found the "Juggernaut" announcement as I was building this mod... I think I'll re-name the entire thing to Mutant just to not confuse people.

Comment

Sounds fun, can't wait.

Comment

I Prefer the name Juggernaught, thanks nice work ill try it s00n

Comment

Originally posted by JefeTheMonkey69 View Post
                  Right now they get flak, rocket launcher and minigun I think... The plan is to make this configurable in the future.
                  Sounds great!

Any other ideas to how they could be given a disadvantage?

I found the "Juggernaut" announcement as I was building this mod... I think I'll re-name the entire thing to Mutant just to not confuse people.
                  Hmmm.. and of course, if you call it "Mutant", you should probably implement all/most of the original Mutant rules... else there will be confusion there as well!

OF COURSE, you need to go play the original gametype a lot, if you're planning on a remake, but just from what I remember off the top of my head:
                  • The match starts in "Free Kill" mode (or whatever you want to call it). Everyone starts on even ground, each able to kill anyone (except the BottomFeeder, if there is one yet). The first player to make a kill becomes the mutant, thus starting "Normal" gameplay.
                  • All normal players (i.e. not the mutant or BottomFeeder) can ONLY kill the mutant, and do no damage to anyone else.
                  • If a player kills the mutant, he becomes the new mutant (and immediately respawns elsewhere to get out of harm's way).
                  • The mutant has the following attributes:
                    • Starts with lots of health, all/most weapons, and 999 ammo of each weapon.
                    • Health is slowly dropping, but health drain can be slowed with frags. If health runs out, mutant dies and everyone is back to square-one with "Free Kill" mode.
                    • Can move at 2x speed and jump 2-3x higher than normal. (just guessing here)
                    • Is near-invisble... it's kindof a sparkly white version of the UT2kX invisibility effect.
                    • Cannot pick up anything... weapons/ammo/health/armor/powerups/etc.
                  • The BottomFeeder is the player with the lowest score, with the following abilities:
                    • Can kill anyone.
                    • Has an indicator over their head, to alert other players to "watch out".
                  • All players besides the mutant have radar that points in the direction of the mutant. The radar is rather interesting, but easy to use once you get the hang of it. It's just a ring with 3 dots...
                    • The middle dot's location on the circle points toward the mutant.
                    • The color of the middle dot specifies whether the mutant is above or below with a smooth fade between colors. Blue = mutant is above you, white = same level, and red indicates you're above the mutant. (I could have these colors backwards, btw)
                    • The other two dots are distance indicators... the closer they are to the middle dot, the closer you are to the mutant. So if they're like 45 deg around the circle, you're very far away from the mutant.

There are a few nice things like scoreboard indicators for Mutant and BottomFeeder... and some announcements when the Mutant dies, or when you become the BottomFeeder, etc.

Probably my favorite thing about this mod was that you don't have to watch out for just one player... the BottomFeeder can come along and kill you too. Plus, if you fall behind and become BottomFeeder, you can generally get in a few extra kills and catch up, so there are usually 2 players going back and forth with that status.

ANYHOO... if you end up not implementing the original Mutant rules (or some variation that improves upon them), it would be a very cool mod to re-implement for someone else... so you would probably need to rename it again

Comment

Geist - Thanks for the great overview of the previous rules.

My new plan is to make this (by default) as close to the original Mutant as possible, but then be modifiable to create a gametype with completely different dynamics.

If anybody has downloaded and played, please let me know your initial thoughts/if you found any bugs.

Comment

Sweet... then I definitely look forward to it!

And please don't be afraid to tweak a few things to make them look better, etc... like the BottomFeeder could have a glowy shield with particle FX (instead of just an icon above the head), for example. And maybe an option could be to make the BF's location visible thru walls (easy to do with PostRenderedActors). You could also just give the Mutant permanent jump boots, just to make mapping easier (since most maps would use that metric anyway).

Comment

Works great on the PS3 and lots of fun. Looking forward to the tweaks. Thanks Herby

Comment

love the mod the only problem i found is the ai doesn't respect the gametype and plays like deathmatch. other than that great mod!

Comment

Not working, just a simple DeathMatch, nothing change at all, files pleaced as it should be. what's going on ?

PS: send me a photo & i will create GameTag PIC for U. Im just creating Hi-Res GameTypes pics 4 All custom Gametypes available & 4 Original also.

Comment

Has this officially been abandoned?

Comment

Working...
                              X