No announcement yet.

WAR-Dawn Revisited [Beta 02] [Pics] [1/25/08] [PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump for one of the best War maps available if not The best atm. Come on folks dl this level and add some comments so it will be even better come the final.

Comment

I guess I should have made a really spammy DM map since every now loves spam.

Comment

Originally posted by IzaFly View Post
        I guess I should have made a really spammy DM map since every now loves spam.
        Nope man ... watch when you are done how many scream for a PS3 version ... and forget that nonsense because not only is this meant for the PC but they have not shown any interest and will not have given any input. You'll be surprised at how many folks will be all over this once it is a RC1. Keep it at man ... there are those of us who are really looking forward to a high quality level.

Comment

It will be an RC once I am done tinkering with the terrain, the speedtrees and have the final bases in place.

But at least the main game mechanics are in place and it is very possible to have an incredible battle in it.

We have been experiencing a problem, though. These maps are massive. Some of my community mates have even created smaller maps, but weigh in between 30-40mbs. Most people are finding this completely unacceptable, and have been avoiding one of our servers due to the long download times even with a 100+kb/s connection. A once busy server has now been void due to that, and we are probably going to remove the custom content.

Cooking is a process which already compresses maps. A more efficient compression method for redirect is highly doubtful. Unless Epic is able to magically find a way to compress maps down to 10-20mb as they were before, the custom map community will be rendered almost useless. Unless, of course, net pricing were to reduce, but we all know that is not something which can simply happen within a year.

UT3 maps are disgustingly large, and warfare maps are the worst offenders. I can tell you right now, things are looking VERY dim for the custom map community....unless you are the type of person that likes playing against bots. And we all know how exciting that can be.

Comment

^^ Well I hate to disappoint point you but I am one of those folks who DO NOT play online. ... most people just don't know how to play fair and talk too much **** and plus with this version I am having a hard time becoming good. I am still capped at Skilled level if I want to actually win a bot match and even that is really really difficult (which is why I mostly play on experienced). Still I hear you and that is depressing ... anyway don't say to many bad things ... wouldn't want to see you get banned like BigDragon.

So you really think that the custom map scene will suffer? It does seem like there are plenty of mappers I have never heard of before popping out on the UT3 scene ... but on the flip side most of the mappers I knew from the UT2Kx days are mysteriously absent. Still I can't wait until this level is done.

You could always give VDMs and VcTFs a shot .... seems like those levels are pretty popular these days.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
              ... anyway don't say to many bad things ...
              I hope they are not considered bad. Just simply trying to politely state the obvious and current experiences.

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
              So you really think that the custom map scene will suffer?
              I am part of a community with several guys who have been long time 2k4 supporters who also have UT3 maps. I know these guys and always talk them on vent. They are about as optimistic as they come. We have had plenty of discussions regarding server side setups, downloading time, compressions, etc. We have noticed the simple fact, people will not come to the server due to long download times of custom maps.

It's really nothing we can do. 10+ people downloading the same 60mb map...and you know something will get congested. Plus, everyone has a different level of high speed internet. Some of us are blessed to have fast connections and some of us are cursed.

Like I mentioned, our biggest hope is redirect compression will compress even more than the compression cooking does, but that has been discussed within us as well. There is only so much you can compress something.

What are community will most likely end up doing is creating a custom map download pack for our servers. But even then, you know not everyone reads the server comments for our server's website. There is still hope, and we will continue to feel optimistic, but it is hard to do so when things point the opposite direction.

Comment

Dude I absolutely love this map in UT3 ... man this has got to be one of the most fun warfare maps around. Must be nothing but noobs playing the game these days for no one else to be interested in playing this. Warfare takes some skill sure but man is it fun ... this map is really faithful to the original. I already mentioned what would make it complete but yeah I just played a match and man it was so much fun. Thank again for remaking this classic ONS map.

Comment

Glad someone is able to enjoy it.

Comment

What is going on with this ... is this the version that has been taken over by the guys at ZF? Hope you are doing okay Iza and that you have not permanently left the community.

Comment

Sorry, Anuban. I have lost complete interest in UT3. Please don't ask the reasons....as they are the typical reasons you read from most of the hardcore 2k4 players. I tried...and tried...and tried hard to like UT3. I came to the conclusion that if I don't like the game out of the box, I probably shouldn't be playing it.

Yes, the guys at ZF are taking over the map. I've known some of these guys for years, and they are going to finish it with the same intentions as I had. The map, for the most part, is pretty much finished. They just have to tidy up the bases, and make minor adjustments here and there.

Last work I did on it was with some very good FPS enhancements tweaking the culling, lighting, etc. Map should be very enjoyable by most who enjoy UT3.

Comment

Well sorry to see you go man but thanks for giving the community such a fantastic and faithful remake. I really enjoy the level and can't wait to see the final product. Take it easy man and keep gaming no matter what game it is.

Comment

Any chance of this being cooked for PS3? We were denied chain isles and given no reason... Perhaps we could try this one?

Comment

Nope ... no version of this for the PS3 ... it was already attempted by me at the request of IF and it failed and IF has passed this onto the ZF crew and they are not making any changes to the textures which are 2048x2048 which is probably why it didn't work on the PS3 but who knows.

Originally posted by Sanch3z
                            yes IzaFly = Flybye. Hi res textures are still in. We wont be reinventing his whole map, just putting the finishing touches on it.

Comment

Once it's more finished, i'd really appriciate an alternate link setup with orb spawners in the main bases. If there's no orb, we'd pretty much be better off playing the 2k4 version. But at any rate, I found out you can have different link setups, with the orb and without. So you can easily please both crowds here.

Comment

^^^ Well IzaFly is no longer working on this level ... you should direct your requests to these fine folks:

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=603276

Comment

Working...
                                X