Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM-Eclipse (formerly DM-Walkway) BETA Released (Download + New Screens)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Eclipse (formerly DM-Walkway) BETA Released (Download + New Screens)

Map Name: DM-Orbitox

Player Support: 6-16 (16 is kinda crazy, 24 is utter chaos, but fun, 32 is probably out of the question.)

Gametypes Supported: Deathmatch, Team DM, Duel

Download Here: http://dodownload.filefront.com/9330...2bfcd2650b2146

Screens Here:

[shot]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/hottingoth/ScreenShot00011.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/hottingoth/ScreenShot00013.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/hottingoth/ScreenShot00001.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/hottingoth/ScreenShot00010-1.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/hottingoth/ScreenShot00008-1.jpg[/shot]

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who posted and supported me in this and in DM-PerfectTemple.

Secondly, this map is for a smaller group of people (6-16).

Well, I decided that I ought to make at one more space-themed map in my life, cuz I haven't made a space-themed map since Quake 2...

So, here it is. I added in a Fury that is not really hard to get to, but you WILL become a target really fast. I added ARVils to balance it out on the opposite side of the map, plus most of the map has some sort of cover. Rarely will you take a full-on blast from it. I definitely think it's 100x more balanced than the Darkwalker in Heat Ray.

I kinda like this maps crampy, claustrophobic gameplay, yet there is a LOT of various ways to get around of you're daring enough to take a leap once in a while.

So, it's coming along nicely, and, as always, Feedback and constructive criticism is always welcome.

BOT PATHING WORKS and they will even go for the Fury once in a while, which really mixes up the play.

Also, yes, I already know that some railings are incomplete or missing. I didn't really care for a few of the stock railings, and until I find my Max disc, I can't model new ones, so adding them in one or two at a time and rotating them to fit has been quite a chore.

Also, some of teh structure is still missing, and yes the lights in the lower room are wayyyy too loud.

This will all be fixed in an update.

Well, I guess this will be my last public release for a while... /shrug

community feedback sucks **** these days... :P

Oh well, bumped anyway...

Comment

Boosters & Gravity

Intresting!!! Will there be Boosters and low Gravity? Like directional Boost over long distance.
      I think that would make it great!
      More Space stuff too for better appearence

Comment

There will be a few jump pads just to be able to get up on top of that central roof. I may add a couple of other ones just to get a boost to other areas of the map (in case there's no action where you are, you can hop into the action faster).

I was trying to mess with the gravity, but I may need help in that area when the time comes. Just altering the zgravity in the world properties seemed to just break gravity entirely, but if I can, I want to set the map to use only 75% of normal gravity.

I am adding little emitters to the portal thing, so it will spit out rocks and hopefully the occasional lightning bolt(s).

Like I said, this release was more for the layout than the actual play-style. I have already enclosed a few of the walkways, but for the sake of some weird action, the walls aren't solid. They are mostly enclosed with girders, railings and stuff, so a skilled person can shoot between the supports.

(PS, I love blowing the bots off the platform with the bio rifle. I usually hate bio, but it's actually really deadly in this map.)

Comment

Hey it looks good. You need more lights in there (more contrast). Perhaps some different gameplay stuff (how about electric traps? - beams flashing at certain areas). You could also have a larger interior to this, very dark with strong strobes lights (flashing quickly).

Comment

I would be willing to crit.... but i need to play the game first then i can DL and play maps, and THEN, i can crit you, unless you just want me to crit you without knowing what im talking about, i can do that too.

Comment

I am trying to figure out how to make the lightning emitted from the portal actually hit the base and deal damage to a player if they are unfortunate enough to get hit... I kinda like the idea of having a random threat, keeps everyone on their toes...

I'm going to release a second Alpha, with a little more structure to it, so that you can compare and see what I will be trying to accomplish as I progress along...

One major diff between this and my other map is that so far there is NO BSP except blocking volumes and my KillVolume...

I was thinking that the lightning could probably just be Shock Rifle beams with a fancy material applied and just up the damage to something like 75 (yeah owww)... If anyone comes up with an idea of how to do that, I would be grateful

Comment

Check the dvd tutorial with the particle generator part. It's the coolest stuff to do . Then you place a damage zone in the area if it's permanent (like a reactor-fire); or you can put the damage in the particle generator but I dont remember how...

I like the originality of it, I just thought it would be nice to have some maps with interactive stuff in it, where the environment is also dangerous.

Comment

hehehe, ya I have a plan once I get used to the editor for a map in an alien jungle where the plants can catch/eat you. Think giant venus flytraps that will eat players and vines that will grab the players and rip them apart... also, going to try and make quicksand for that map... Anyways, on to the project at-hand...

Comment

Bump. Put an updated download and pics on first post. Lighting and structure for the "back" area near the sniper is not done. Most lighting is not even close to being at "finished" quality, but it will get there.

I am thinking that, due to the fact that I put a Solar Eclipse happening in the background, I should re-name this to DM-Eclipse. It sounds cooler and it fits the theme better than just Walkway.

Comment

Just played this map,
                      I like this kind of "dangerous arena" (Quake like), each step or jump can bring you to fall, that great !
                      I like too the way to go to the UTDamage, with multi-jumpad, just cool
                      Maybe, decrease a bit the gravity will be cool on it (Just use a "GravityVolume" to make that ).

Good job on it, can wait to play the final one !

And DM-Eclipse sounds good, that's true

Comment

Originally posted by ShadeMistress View Post
                        Bump. Put an updated download and pics on first post. Lighting and structure for the "back" area near the sniper is not done. Most lighting is not even close to being at "finished" quality, but it will get there.

I am thinking that, due to the fact that I put a Solar Eclipse happening in the background, I should re-name this to DM-Eclipse. It sounds cooler and it fits the theme better than just Walkway.
                        The level looks like it is coming along fine. I like the new additions and they give the level more life. Also be patient when it comes to community feedback ... there are a lot of levels to check out so some times you may need get the feedback you want as quickly as you would like ... but believe me it will come especially when you have something that catches peoples eyes. I think you show a lot of promise and also I have to say the new name is a lot more attractive and fitting ... DM-Eclipse sounds like a much cooler map than walkway ... you'll probably get more attention from the name change alone. BTW does this Alpha have bot support? If not please add some rudimentary pathing in the next version so it is easier to test. Thanks and never get discouraged ... we are all pulling for you just like we do for all the content providers in the community. People like you are the life blood of the franchise so believe me we appreciate the hard work you do.

Edit: One other suggestion I would make is to stay focused on one project at a time ... I know you still have the Temple level to finish up and maybe you are splitting your energies and since this is a new editor and it has so much to learn since there is such a greater amount of functionality it might be to your benefit to really focus on one level at a time for now. Then once you really get using the editor down and how you really want to make your maps ... as in develop your own signature style that is recognizable to your fans ... it will be easier to successfully juggle multiple projects.

Comment

How about DM-Walkway_Eclipse? Just kidding... But you could do something with the space theme, for example DM-Starscape or DM-Nightflyer. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with Walkway (there's something to be said for simple, descriptive map names...), but Eclipse does sound cooler, yeah.

Anyway, nice map, I especially like the combination of open and 'covered' areas, and the generous use of purple really adds to the atmosphere.

Comment

Yes Rails

Yeah; your sure going to need rails. Even getting hit once with a redemer will knock you off. If there is alot of falling off; not many ppl will want to play it much.
                            I still believe directional boost pads would help when needed for strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by ur-name-here View Post
                              Yeah; your sure going to need rails. Even getting hit once with a redemer will knock you off. If there is alot of falling off; not many ppl will want to play it much.
                              Nah ... that is what makes it challenging and fun ... maybe a few rails but don't over do it ... think about maps like the Quake arena one with the jump pads and maps like Diemos, Morpheus, Pyramid, etc. Space/high altitude maps with little to no rails ... even CTF maps like Omicron Dawn and the most famous of all CTF-Face ... part of the fun is knocking people off the maps with hit scan weapons and Rocket Launchers.

Comment

Working...
                              X