Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Weapon Toss v0.91 [Beta] [UPDATED]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon Toss v0.91 [Beta] [UPDATED]

Name: ******
    Version: v0.91
    Compatibility: UT3 1.1
    Description: Adds weapon tossing back into UT3
    Credits: Sardonyx. Many thanks listed in the attached ReadMe
    Homepage: None
    Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?04d1dcxg19x

Changes: Now includes support for overriding Weapon.bCanThrow (throwing translocator or hammer).

Comment: There was a lot of rumbling right before and during release about the lack of weapon throwing in UT3 (though it's died down a bit), but I thought it might be a nice hack to put it back in. I play primarily offline bot-matches, and hate it when my flag guardian is standing there with a silly weapon.

A Request: This has not been used in any server matches, so please post any feedback if you do (whether it works or not). As I mentioned, I don't play on servers much, but it would be nice to have the mutator completely functional. This is my first published mutator and though it seems to work well enough, it could certainly use some tortuous testing before moving to v1.0/final.

Use: The Mutator is listed as "Allow Weapon Throwing" (which was how this functionality appeared in UT2004) - simply add it to your mutator list. There are no in-game configuration options.

Customization: The default weapon toss key is 'R', and it can be changed by editing the config file (MyDocuments\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\UTTosser_Mutator.ini).

Implementation: Key press functionality is taken through an Interaction to avoid subclassing PlayerController and ruining compatibility. For those who don't want to use that, or who want to keep all their keybinds in the same place, there is also an exec function included ("mutate TossWeapon") which does the same thing. In that case, setting the TossKey in the .ini file to be something already in use (like 'L') will prevent it from executing (the bound keys are higher priority than the Interactions, apparently).

Source: Source code was not stripped from the .u and is available for research. It is commented to a fair extent. I have learned a lot from reading others' code, and hope that some can similarly learn from mine. While I request that you obtain my permission before directly copying any code fragments, I encourage anyone who is interested to learn the concepts and apply them to their own projects.

Thanks for the release but I've never understood why people would want weapon throw in a game that had weapon stay on. Unless you want to cheat buy throwing the weapon then picking up a *new* weapon. I suppose in your case though giving a bot a weapon could be handy.

Just out of interest, why don't you play online?

Comment

Is there some difference between this and 2004's "drop weapon"?

Comment

So, this mutator only actually does something when playing with weaponstay off, right?

Comment

Originally posted by sHoTDoGGed View Post
          Thanks for the release but I've never understood why people would want weapon throw in a game that had weapon stay on. Unless you want to cheat buy throwing the weapon then picking up a *new* weapon. I suppose in your case though giving a bot a weapon could be handy.

Just out of interest, why don't you play online?
          The reason you need it in weapon stay on is to give your teammates a weapon when they spawn.

I prefer to play TDM weapon stay off myself.

Comment

Probably a stupid question, but can you drop the translocator with this, or any way to edit the ini to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by iknowjohnny View Post
              Probably a stupid question, but can you drop the translocator with this, or any way to edit the ini to do so?
              This mutator doesn't allow dropping of weapons that won't fumble when you're killed (translocator and hammer). It also doesn't allow the disarming of vehicles, though an older (bug-ridden) version did.

It should work equally well with weaponstay on or off; it's up to the server administrator (or offline player) to determine what functionality he wants. I didn't want to arbitrarily introduce limitations to it which I didn't feel necessary to its functionality.

This is not supposed to be the new gold standard, and it's not being posted as a challenge to Epic to include it in the 1.2 patch; it's simply being offered as an option to folks who've played the game but missed having the option. Enjoy!

Comment

Well, translocator or not i like it. Works fine, and i'm happy i can finally toss the array of weapons i'm saddled with when theres only 2 i want. No more cycling thru a million weapons in the heat of battle. Thanks for the mod. I do wish i could get rid of that effin translocator tho. I use a mut that causes it to show up even in VCTF where theres supposed to be no TL !

Comment

Version Update to 0.91

I do wish i could get rid of that effin translocator tho.
                  Ok - don't let it be said that I'm unresponsive to community requests. Version 0.91 is available here, and it includes support for overriding bCanThrow on weapons (this is set to False on the translocator and impact hammer, preventing them from being thrown usually). It required a hack because you never see the hammer lying around on the ground in regular play, but it works well enough.

Instructions for adjusting settings are in the attached ReadMe file, but basically it just requires editing the .ini file - the two items are fairly self-explanatory.

I'm not entirely sure I like the idea of being able to throw away everything, so it is off by default, but when activated it does offer an interesting tactic - you can toss all your weapons and feign death and really look dead. If you're next to a weapon locker or something similar, you could choose the right time to leap to your feet, load up, and spray death. Just a thought; I haven't actually tried it. But it does allow you to have an empty-handed fake corpse for folks who like such things.

It also ought to allow iknowjohnny to get rid of the translocator he detests so much.

I'm very interested in getting feedback from anyone who has tried this on a server. My hope is that setting the override flag on the server will prevent players from doing it differently, but I have no experience there at all. If anyone has server feedback, please let me know in this thread.

Comment

Excellent, thanks ! I'll give it a shot tonite. Of course in my case it may not work due to the fact the TL is only in my inventory because of a glitch in another mutator. In VCTF where you normally don't even have a TL, the binblaster mut i use causes it to show up. So whether i'll be able to throw it is questionable since it's a bug with that mut to begin with. But i'll find out soon enough. Thanks.

Comment

Just tried it.Like i suspected, the translocator will not go. It's because as i said before the fact it is there in vctf games where there is supposed to be no TL in the first place is because of a bug with the binblaster mut. So no luck. I'm stuvk with that garbage weapon as long as i use the BB nut. Thanks for trying in any case.

Comment

... a bug with the binblaster mut.
                        Yes, he's doing some non-standard stuff with the Inventory list (which is why you don't spawn with a hammer or enforcer either). This mutator can't get inside it reliably, but if all you want to do is get rid of the translocator, you can. In the config file for binblaster (UTUBinBlasterbeta.ini in your Config folder), the second line from the end is:
                        Code:
                        bAllowTranslocator=True
                        ... which you can just change to:
                        Code:
                        bAllowTranslocator=False
                        ... and that ought to allow you to play that mutator without the translocator, except on games which normally have it (CTF), where it will show up normally.

So, as you suspected, it doesn't look like an issue with the WeaponToss mutator, but with his mutator. Once he gets the Inventory bug sorted out, it ought to work just fine.

Comment

I tried that already a couple nites ago and it didn't work. i was shocked to be honest. I figured that would definatly do it, but the TL just will not go away !

Comment

would you be looking to port it to PS3

Comment

Originally posted by MGS4474 View Post
                              would you be looking to port it to PS3
                              I suppose I could; I thought all interest had died for this mutator weeks ago, to be honest. Solid Snake did some work on making the whole GUI process understandable for the rest of us, so if there's interest, I could probably put together a bare-bones configuration screen (I'm assuming PS3 can't edit .ini files; is that correct?) in a day or so and repost it.

Comment

Working...
                              X