Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM-Disarray [New! Beta v1.2][new Pics/Download sites](Almost there!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Disarray [New! Beta v1.2][new Pics/Download sites](Almost there!)

I previously posted about this map -->Here Under the name DM-Krazy, because I set out to do a remake... something happened, I got lots of ideas, and changed a lot of things, this is a whole new monster... so here goes:

Name: DM-Disarray (a bit of a synonym of Crazy)
    Version: Beta Version 1.2
    Requirements: UT3 PC
    Players: 2 to 10
    Download (New Locations!):
    Via: RapidShare.com
    Via: Mediafire.com
    Files-upload.com switch to member signup BS.. screw them

Scroll to Bottom of this post for a list of the newest changes.

Firstly, this is my first map... I've wanted to do some maps before and even set out to do a few, but I'm highly focused on gameplay, and want to test as I go (dodge distances, accesability, height, everything), and up until now that has been far to troublesome (load times, etc).. the inclusion of the in editor game test is spectacular. I couldn't be happier, it has allowed me to play test this map every step of the way.

I have been testing movement and flow extensively as I got the layout down and tweaked on par with UT3's movement system and dodging. The speed and flow feels fantastic. Ammo and power ups are well layed in my opinion, Its a very open high visibility map so I went a tad heavy on health.

If you guys think some of the weapons need to be moved around, or anything added/removed, let me know.

Here are some New screens, let me know what you guys think.

NEW Updated Preview screenshots: (Widescreen 1920x1200, Fully lit)
    Click for Full High res shots.

[SHOT]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Mutal1ty/Shot1.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Mutal1ty/Shot2.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Mutal1ty/Shot3.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Mutal1ty/Shot4.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Mutal1ty/Shot5.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Mutal1ty/Shot6.jpg[/SHOT]

-------------------------------------
    Version 1.1 Beta

Changelist: in Beta vers 1.1
    • Added Fall Kill Volume (Need to know how to make custom death msg)
    • Added Full Bot Paths (Lemme know if they kill themselves and where so I can adjust)
    • Brightened up the lights and added some Ambient lights to mildy light previosly unlit surfaces
    • Added Red Deco to Rocket hall
    • Added 16 Player Starts
    • Entirely revamped the Cityscape, much more FPS friendly (and shaved 10MB off the filesize)
    • Added more blocking volumes to wind tunnel to make for a smoother flight
    • Tweaked the jump paths between the two highest platforms to make the flight lines closer so I could spread out the vials.
    • Removed Health vials from pool
    • Added a sprite emitter to the wind tunnels
    • Tweaked pickupfactory placement to a bit further from walls.

Version 1.2 Beta, Keep those suggestions coming!

Changelist: in Beta vers 1.2
    • Added Music (Will be changing it to a "custom track" later)
    • Added Post processing under water
    • Added Pipe Deco with water drains into pool
    • Added more visual Cues to allow better navigation of the map (it also "lighted" up the map)
    • Moved Middle Jump pads to allow for raised Shield belt
    • Raised shieldbelt and added jumpads between glass roofs to reach it (it promotes more roof traffic)
    • Fixed Kill volume to say Killed rather than "Aneurysms"
    • Tweaked several lights to match Visual Cues
    • Moved a couple Ammo spots a bit for better access
    • Added Ambient sounds

Thank you all again for your patience and understanding, work/life has been hectic over the holidays but I'm back to crank this map out.

Keep those Comments/Suggestions coming, I wanna make my first map a winner!

-OZ out.

I can't wait to test this version !!!

starts to looks good

Comment

No Bot support?

Comment

OK this map is getting there but has a load of problems, from what i could see in a 5 minute play test.

First of all, i expected to be playing against bots, but alas, no bots were on the map....so i had to 'play test' by my self. Not good.

The next thing i noticed was the lighting, its a bit poor and needs some work, it doesnt feel like theres an overall ambient light coming from anywhere and there weren't really any colourful or nice highlight lights anywhere along the map.

Too many health vials in general, some of them are just not needed especially the ones under water. Health pickup locations seemed a little odd and squeezed in.

I got considerably bad framerate drops, (albeit down to 30 - 40 in places but all the other polygon intense ut maps iv had 50 - 60.) I think this is because of the insane amount of city building tiles you have placed in the skyzone. A rediculous amount. My suspicions were confirmed when trying to walk up a wire i fell off the map. Another problem on the way down....i didnt die. Add a kill volume! So important on this kind of map! So as i was falling and falling away i got too see the full extent of the skyzone mess, and my fps dropped to 15 -20. Heres a screen of my 'omg how much stuff is in that skyzone?' experience:

[shot]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7655/screenshot00093vv6.png[/shot]

The framerate problems therefore are due to the masses of city buildings. Which btw look ugly when you look into the distance ones, there are of course too many, they are very dark (some distance fog may help?) and alot of them even overlap :S You can see how this looks bad below:

[shot]http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/4676/screenshot00089bt3.png[/shot]

So i reccomend looking at the professional maps that have used the city skyzone and see what they did, how many buildings they used etc. Instead of just tiling it like crazy you can also scale up the mesh and therfore have less of them in the distance. Try and add some effects to make them fade into the distance, atmospheric perspective, instead of being this mass of black stuff on the horizon. Also one shield will suffice!

Hmm, the last thing i spotted was the jump-pad to the rocket launcher shot me off course.

On the positive side, i just gave you a load of feedback. : )

Jokes this map has potential and i do like the layout and concept alot, just keep working on it till its polished. Lighting needs most work i think and can make or break a maps look. Feugerstef may even be able to help you polish it a bit if your new to mapping. Tbh this is very good for a first map.

Get some bots playing in, sort those other issues out and i will definately test again. Gooooood luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post
          First of all, i expected to be playing against bots, but alas, no bots were on the map....so i had to 'play test' by my self. Not good.
          The map still isn't finished, there are lots of Deco to do as well as pathing
          The next thing i noticed was the lighting, its a bit poor and needs some work, it doesnt feel like theres an overall ambient light coming from anywhere and there weren't really any colourful or nice highlight lights anywhere along the map.
          I've spent Tons of time on lighting, there are several hundred all of which i spent extensive time tweaking. The build time takes 15 mins on my C2D E6600, but if you're refering to brightness I can crank it up a bit.

Too many health vials in general, some of them are just not needed especially the ones under water. Health pickup locations seemed a little odd and squeezed in.
          I'll Remove the ones in the water, and see if I can't spread it out.

I got considerably bad framerate drops, (albeit down to 30 - 40 in places but all the other polygon intense ut maps iv had 50 - 60.) I think this is because of the insane amount of city building tiles you have placed in the skyzone. A rediculous amount. My suspicions were confirmed when trying to walk up a wire i fell off the map. Another problem on the way down....i didnt die. Add a kill volume! So important on this kind of map! So as i was falling and falling away i got too see the full extent of the skyzone mess, and my fps dropped to 15 -20.

The framerate problems therefore are due to the masses of city buildings. Which btw look ugly when you look into the distance ones, there are of course too many, they are very dark (some distance fog may help?) and alot of them even overlap :S You can see how this looks bad below:

So i reccomend looking at the professional maps that have used the city skyzone and see what they did, how many buildings they used etc. Instead of just tiling it like crazy you can also scale up the mesh and therfore have less of them in the distance. Try and add some effects to make them fade into the distance, atmospheric perspective, instead of being this mass of black stuff on the horizon. Also one shield will suffice!
          I threw a bunch of stuff in to get the beta out, I plan on revamping all the cityscape, the main thing I'm worried about is flow, is the map fun, exciting, and a map you would want in your fav servers cycle.

Hmm, the last thing i spotted was the jump-pad to the rocket launcher shot me off course.
          I've only tweaked one of the rocket jumps, the problem is the pathnode has to be floating below the bridge just to land you correctly, and atm only one node is shared by all four pads, this will be corrected.

On the positive side, i just gave you a load of feedback. : )

Jokes this map has potential and i do like the layout and concept alot, just keep working on it till its polished. Lighting needs most work i think and can make or break a maps look. Feugerstef may even be able to help you polish it a bit if your new to mapping. Tbh this is very good for a first map.

Get some bots playing in, sort those other issues out and i will definately test again. Gooooood luck.
          I appreciate the feedback a lot, and I'll have an updated Beta on here by days end.

Comment

I've spent Tons of time on lighting, there are several hundred all of which i spent extensive time tweaking. The build time takes 15 mins on my C2D E6600, but if you're referring to brightness I can crank it up a bit.
            -Don't crank up the lighting, but I do agree that the light feels bland. There is almost a uniform lighting tone over the whole set. Try a slightly different lighting tone in the corridors.

-Under water should be a bit hazier

-If you catch the air lifts at the wrong angle, you get caught on the sides at the top.

-Like the other poster mentioned, it will be easier for us to test once you have bots in place and we can test balance

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSideofOZ View Post
              The map still isn't finished, there are lots of Deco to do as well as pathing

I've spent Tons of time on lighting, there are several hundred all of which i spent extensive time tweaking. The build time takes 15 mins on my C2D E6600, but if you're refering to brightness I can crank it up a bit.
              Well i thought the idea of a beta was so people could play the map and test its gameplay etc. Without bots that pretty impossible.

About the lighting - i found it hard to believe you'd spent so much time on it, as it doesnt look good, so i opened your map in the editor. The lighting is bonkers. All your lights seem to be set to the same large radius even if they are small highlight lights like on the suction tubes. I wondered where most of the light was coming from then spotted the very small iconed lights on the lamp posts...this is not how to go about lighting. Try small radius lights right on the lamp post lights themselves to make it look like a light, then use larger radius lights away from the mesh to light the area.

Im afraid your lighting is so bad it crashed my editor. Surley the fact it takes 15 mins on a decent computer of yours sends some bells ringing?? I moved one of the huge radius lights that are everywhere to see what it would look like not planted on the face of the mesh, and my editor movement slowed to a standtill....massivly jerky, then it crashed. Dont add so many lights and decrease the radius! even add a sunlight/directional light to do most of the work for you with only one light, then add highlights to improve the look.

You say the main thing your worried about is if this map would be in my favourites for a server cycle, im sorry to say no frankly. I wouldn't have this map on my hard drive the way it is atm. For the amount in it, the fps is very bad, doesnt look great and i have no idea how it plays. Compare that with the judith map i just tested and theres a massive difference.

My advice, take some time do redo the lighting after looking at how its done in a tutorial or other pro maps. It should not be like it is now. Also just generally take some time if you want this map to be good. Yes its tempting to rush them out and maby some people dont have the time...but thats no excuse to shoot out an unfinished map. If you dont have enough time then work on it less, just release it alot later.

Comment

Plz! DarkSideofOZ
                Could you upload your map somewhere else ...plz
                cant get it from RapidShare .

the map look very good and i htink its worth it

Comment

Well i thought the idea of a beta was so people could play the map and test its gameplay etc. Without bots that pretty impossible.

About the lighting - i found it hard to believe you'd spent so much time on it, as it doesnt look good, so i opened your map in the editor. The lighting is bonkers. All your lights seem to be set to the same large radius even if they are small highlight lights like on the suction tubes. I wondered where most of the light was coming from then spotted the very small iconed lights on the lamp posts...this is not how to go about lighting. Try small radius lights right on the lamp post lights themselves to make it look like a light, then use larger radius lights away from the mesh to light the area.

Im afraid your lighting is so bad it crashed my editor. Surley the fact it takes 15 mins on a decent computer of yours sends some bells ringing?? I moved one of the huge radius lights that are everywhere to see what it would look like not planted on the face of the mesh, and my editor movement slowed to a standtill....massivly jerky, then it crashed. Dont add so many lights and decrease the radius! even add a sunlight/directional light to do most of the work for you with only one light, then add highlights to improve the look.

You say the main thing your worried about is if this map would be in my favourites for a server cycle, im sorry to say no frankly. I wouldn't have this map on my hard drive the way it is atm. For the amount in it, the fps is very bad, doesnt look great and i have no idea how it plays. Compare that with the judith map i just tested and theres a massive difference.

My advice, take some time do redo the lighting after looking at how its done in a tutorial or other pro maps. It should not be like it is now. Also just generally take some time if you want this map to be good. Yes its tempting to rush them out and maby some people dont have the time...but thats no excuse to shoot out an unfinished map. If you dont have enough time then work on it less, just release it alot later.
                  I had all different radii from 128/256/384/512/768 etc, the problem I had was lights under 1024 REFUSED to cast shadows... why I have no idea... for instance the wiring I added in the halls and under the walkways refused to cast shadows unless the light radii were a minimum of 1024

Also the reason your editor screamed to a halt is because the lighting you see when you open the file is built static light, when you move a light, the light it shines is dynamic, and you have to rebuild to see what it will actually look like. Any time you add or move a light what you see is not what you get unfortunately, you must rebuild so the game can calculate how it will affect the meshes/materials within its Radius.

Comment

New Version v1.1, check above for change list, new pics, and download links

Comment

Darkside, this is gonna be such a good map, the overall flow is amazing.

I only have two small complaints:

# Added Full Bot Paths (Lemme know if they kill themselves and where so I can adjust)
                      Do you have bot paths to the two top platforms, because I waited up there forever and never saw a bot use them?

# Added Red Deco to Rocket hall
                      I love the red decor, but near the entrances and exits of that hall, can you let some of the outdoor light seep in. Right now it looks like a visible line of yellow lighting, then red lighting.

Comment

Originally posted by revel911 View Post
                        Darkside, this is gonna be such a good map, the overall flow is amazing.

Do you have bot paths to the two top platforms, because I waited up there forever and never saw a bot use them?
                        Yes, I played it for about 30 mins they will indeed go up top, grab the Power ups and teleport back down.

Originally posted by revel911 View Post
                        I love the red decor, but near the entrances and exits of that hall, can you let some of the outdoor light seep in. Right now it looks like a visible line of yellow lighting, then red lighting.
                        Hmm I'll look at it tonight.

Also I'm thinking the 100 Shield may be too readily accessible. Maybe I should elevate it directly up from where it is and put jump-pads on the inner edges of the glass roofs shooting directly across to each other to get the belt. Lemme know what you guys think. This will also encourage more traffic on the roof, as well as give more exposure time for folks on the top rope/platform to snipe at you.

Comment

I would still like some effect to make you feel underwater. Do you know if there is a way to to make weapons with projectile weapons less effective when shooting into water or in water? If so, I would def. implement that.

Comment

I can add a post processing effect for blur, but as for the weapons but, I don't know.

Comment

Hello DarkSideofOZ,

a very detailed work and on a winners way.

Comment

Working...
                              X