WAR-SuspenseX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAR-SuspenseX

Epic's vCTF-Suspense converted to Warfare, with Axon and Necris vehicles.

Comments:

I didn't like the way vCTF-Suspense played (in fact, I don't like the way vCTF plays without being able to transport the flag in a 'bender), but the map has some pretty cool terrain nonetheless.

Adjustments:
    • Replaced Blue's vehicles with Necris vehicles.
    • The main spawn buildings house the cores. Nodes are placed in the corner buildings, under the bridge by the Redeemer and on the bridge towers by the UDamages. The flags have been replaced with orb spawns.
    • Includes four different node link setups. The nodes on the towers are not used in the default setup.
    • Replaced Stinger pickups with Biorifles. Placed an AVRiL ammo pickup on the flag buildings.
    • Replaced the Manta under the bridge with a Cicada. For variety, and because I don't like a Manta overdose.
    I tried to keep the Warfare gameplay close to the vCTF gameplay, which is why I didn't make too many alterations. That is also the reason why I did not include the tower nodes in the default setup.

I applied a 0.9 scale to the nodes in the towers and the buildings to fit them in. While this 10% reduction isn't really noticeable, it goes to show that, theoretically, interesting things could be done with really big or really small nodes.

I am a n00b mapper and not aspiring to learn how to map properly, but if I can improve on the following stuff in a simple manner, then please tell me all about it:
    • Axon versus Necris. Balanced or not?
    • Any areas you still wouldn't go to? Any pickups I could place there to make it worth the detour?
    • Any way I can reduce the ridiculous file size?
    • Any way I can improve bot behavior?
    Screenshots:

Version:
    Beta 1

Compatibility:
    Tested in Single Player. The bots are OK. They'll go everywhere and do everything. They may do some stupid stuff and/or abandon vehicles in strange places. No different from vCTF-Suspense, I guess.

Multiplayer is untested. Let me know.

Credits:
    Epic for making the map.
    Me for adapting the map. Which was like 0.02% of the overall effort.

Download:
    SuspenseX.zip (MediaFire)
    (only 65 megs...)

Installation instructions provided in the Readme in the download. Basically, extract to My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3.

Feedback appreciated!

I couldn't download your map in firefox, I had to dust of IE.
    Your zip archive is corrupt.

Comment

Put a invisibility pickup under water somewhere.
      Axon versus Necris is imo not balanced. Not in vCTF atleast.
      Cicada under the bridge sucks imo. Put a viper there!

Comment

Did you cook the map? 65 megs sounds too big considering all you did was add a few nodes. Shouldnt be that size. Please "cook" the map then re release, suspense would be great to play in warfare. I haven't messed with the editor myself, but i heard there is an optimization button that you press and the editor automatically cuts out unnecessary file size. This is called cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAgOat View Post
          I couldn't download your map in firefox, I had to dust of IE.
          I just downloaded it in Firefox. I always use Firefox and never had problems with MediaFire.

Originally posted by NotAgOat View Post
          Your zip archive is corrupt.
          The one I just downloaded works for me. Try again?

Originally posted by Taboen View Post
          Put a invisibility pickup under water somewhere.
          I'd have to place one on each side of the bridge if I were to keep things balanced. Any suggestions for a spot?

Axon versus Necris is imo not balanced. Not in vCTF atleast.
          Spidermine Traps on the flag would've been a bit too much, yes, but this is Warfare. The SPMA isn't completely useless now.

Cicada under the bridge sucks imo. Put a viper there!
          Why, because it's better? That wouldn't balance anything since it's a neutral node.

I chose a Cicada because it's a unique vehicle that isn't otherwise in the map and does not have a Necris equivalent, and out of protest against the Manta/Viper's uberness. I think one ultrafast hard to kill crazy 150 damage per second node killing vehicle per side is enough.

Originally posted by Dragondoom01 View Post
          Did you cook the map?
          Yes, and that is what brings file size up from 20 to 65 megs. Unfortunately, if I don't cook it, lighting is messed up.

Comment

I got a message that the core was vulnerable at the start of the game (I assume before the nodes were attached).
            It would also be nice to get the full explosion when the core is destroyed.
            Overall, good effort.

Comment

If you cooked it and the filesize increased to 65 megs, then something has gone wrong. Theres no reason it should be 65 megs, considering all the meshes and textures already came in the game! Can you imagine what a map that was from scratch would be like??? I can't help you with this because I haven't started with the editor myself, but i suggest looking at some optimization tutorials or something... Anyways this is a really great idea, as suspense is already an awesome map. Good luck with fixing the problem!

Comment

Are their jumppads to get you to the two top tower nodes? If not, you really should consider it.

Also, maybe make it just Axon vs Axon for now.

And yeah, Cicada could work under the bridge, try a raptor and see how that works out.

Comment

Uhmm invibility pickup under water at each side yes, the exact spot isn't that important. Just a spot that times to reach but not too long so that the pickup is worth it.
                  About Cicada under bridge, I don't like the idea because it can do huge amounts of damage in some situations and it does not fit the mapstyle much.

Axon vs Axon or Necris vs Necris seems better in vCTF than Axon vs Necris because of balance. Balance is such a delicate thing in CTF. And sure some may say Axon vs Necris can be balanced out. it will never ever be completely balanced since where there is a difference there is a advantage/disadvantage to it. It's like in CS where one team always wins if they are Terrorists (caus of the ak47 with the highest dps).
                  Though Necris vs Axon can be really much fun in maps caus they add variety, I think it's more of a Warfare thing where after 1 round you switch sides anyway.

Comment

F*ck Im totally confused, this IS a Warfare map! Okey you make it Necris vs Axon lololol my bad!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterB View Post
                      I got a message that the core was vulnerable at the start of the game
                      That's because they are. The corner nodes are pre-built to minimize the importance of the initial node building rush and plunge you right into the midgame action.

Originally posted by MasterB View Post
                      It would also be nice to get the full explosion when the core is destroyed.
                      Indeed... dunno why that is missing. Apparently, simply inserting a powercore in a map is not enough to get a real powercore.

Originally posted by Dragondoom01 View Post
                      If you cooked it and the filesize increased to 65 megs, then something has gone wrong. Theres no reason it should be 65 megs, considering all the meshes and textures already came in the game!
                      I know! Do let me know when you figure out how to fix this. Or when you find a tutorial that explains.

About Cicada under bridge, I don't like the idea because it can do huge amounts of damage in some situations and it does not fit the mapstyle much.
                      It's easier to take stuff out with the Viper, if you ask me. Anyway, if I want to keep the Axon/Necris vehicles aesthetically balanced, I'd have to either add a Cicada (as is now), a Paladin (which would have to go through the water) or a mirrored pair of Manta and Viper (which would increase the tiny fast uber vehicle oppression).

Originally posted by Mr.UglyPants View Post
                      Are their jumppads to get you to the two top tower nodes?
                      No, where would I put them? Those would have to be some serious jumppads. You can use the node teleporter portals to get topside once the nodes have been captured. To get there you need to either grab the Raptor or walk/board/drive the Manta/Viper up the big cables.

Originally posted by Mr.UglyPants View Post
                      make it just Axon vs Axon for now.
                      Nah, waste of good Necris vehicles, that is.

Comment

Hi Xyx, very nice one here mate, i really enjoyed this one.
                        Mi first complaint is the core's brightness! ****! those are some serious bright cores! can't you lower that just a tad or something? they are just so **** bright!

Another thing that in my opinion is quite important, is the tactical meaning(or importance) of the nodes that sit in the main towers. In the Conquest setup, they are just useless (AFAIK) the corner nodes are the only nodes that really count, and maybe the center one.
                        When playing "Topside", you are forced to control those nodes in order to get to da enemy core, wich is good BUT, then again they only matter because you are forced to control them. Maybe adding as i said before some tactical value to them would be a nice thing, and the more i think about it, the more i like the idea of just gaining control of rail towers that would move across the UDamage ledge raining death from above, that you'd make the control of those suckers a capital thing. Hey.. at least that's how i think.

Oh, and btw, i disagree on having the "prime nodes" prebuilt in every mode, but that's just me

Comment

Originally posted by Ignotium View Post
                          those are some serious bright cores! can't you lower that just a tad or something?
                          That's Epic's standard brightness... but I could check in on it.

the tactical meaning(or importance) of the nodes that sit in the main towers. In the Conquest setup, they are just useless
                          That's why they're optional. I wouldn't go for them either, but maybe some people like grabbing the amp and boarding down the cables. They give you a forward spawn point, though.

Maybe adding as i said before some tactical value to them would be a nice thing, and the more i think about it, the more i like the idea of just gaining control of rail towers that would move across the UDamage ledge raining death from above, that you'd make the control of those suckers a capital thing.
                          They'd be a bit harder to re-take, too. Plus I'd like to place rail turrets, but they seem to require some sort of Kismet voodoo that I know nothing of.

i disagree on having the "prime nodes" prebuilt in every mode
                          Why not? Onslaught used to be decided by one team rushing 0.3 seconds faster than the other. Pre-building those nodes takes most of the rushing out of the equation.

Plus this is still Suspense, and I wanted to keep the original vCTF spawn points available at the start.

Comment

why not make a Necris/Axon vehicle mix, so both teams have same vehicles, but Necris and Axon vehicles
                            here is my idea:
                            -add the Fury instead of the default Raptor
                            -keep the Goliath
                            -keep the manta's
                            -replace the Scorpion with the Viper
                            -keep the Hellblender [good for tactical use{especially with the Berserk powerup}]
                            -replace the Hellfire with the Darkwalker
                            [-add some sniper ammo on the towers ]

*subscribing to this topic...*

Comment

Originally posted by Coreper View Post
                              why not make a Necris/Axon vehicle mix, so both teams have same vehicles, but Necris and Axon vehicles
                              That would get rid of the Axon versus Necris theme, which I like.

I did make sure that nodes always spawn the same vehicles, regardless of what team controls the node. Epic put some stuff in place that lets mappers spawn only Axon for one team and only Necris for the other, but I think that's a bit dull. If you capture a Necris node you should get the Necris tech.

The next map (WAR-KargoX) has an (albeit very modest) mixture of Axon and Necris tech for each team, for practical reasons more than anything.

Originally posted by Coreper View Post
                              add some sniper ammo on the towers
                              Could do. Perhaps even AVRiL ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X