Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im working on CTF-Face, and Id like some feedback..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im working on CTF-Face, and Id like some feedback..

Well guys, this is the first map ive ever done, but I really wanted it to be remade.

Its going well so far, but I was wondering if people thought I should stick religously to the old version, or adjust things to suit the new game.

Firstly, I was thinking about replacing the weapons at the rear of the fortress with WeaponLockers so that respawning players can get involved quickly and help with the pace of the level.

I was also considering replacing the mid-ground with proper terrain rather than the old asteroid and space theme, but I found it difficult to create terrain which was similar to the old version, and it was impossible to make a hole in the middle.

This is how its looking so far, I've gone with an oriental theme, two opposing temples.

Any other feedback would be great too....

So that you know, the internal layout is practically identical. The teleports lead to the same weapons/pickups and storeys as they used to and running around it feels very much like the old map.

Comment

A china face? What?

Comment

Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
        A china face? What?
        I liked the oriental theme, dont suppose ti really matters that much.

Comment

As long as the layout is the same I'm ok with it . If it's not in space it should at least have some other sort of barriers/death void to take place. Maybe water. Or lava or something. :shrug:

I think a Necris version of Face would be.. f***ing awesome!

Comment

Hey lookin good! I think as long as they're done well, variations of face are a good thing. This looks like it's going to be fun. Lighting seems a little bright in places atm though. Liking the colour. I can appreciate that making a map look professional with the Asian theme can be quite hard, im making the setting of the Miyazaki film Spirited Away, which means making the whole bathhouse haha. Gunna take some time to finish as im going to try and get visual quality as near as shangri la as possible. Gd effort so far though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post
              Hey lookin good! I think as long as they're done well, variations of face are a good thing. This looks like it's going to be fun. Lighting seems a little bright in places atm though. Liking the colour. I can appreciate that making a map look professional with the Asian theme can be quite hard, im making the setting of the Miyazaki film Spirited Away, which means making the whole bathhouse haha. Gunna take some time to finish as im going to try and get visual quality as near as shangri la as possible. Gd effort so far though.
              That shot was taken with the dynamic lighting, without it being built.. they are nothing like that bright normally.

Im very new to mapping, so its all a learning process. Quite enjoying it, the terrain aspect is giving me the most headache, dont wanna resort to just making it outta geometry.

Comment

Facing worls will be remade officially by epic, so if you ultimately try to replicate the look, no one will play it. I think its a smart choice to go with a theme so dynamically different from the original.

Keep with the asian theme. Do not make it ancient Asian architecture on an asteroid though. If you do, anything you've done with the theme would be a waste, as it would make less sense than the original did.

Maybe a hill with two ponds(waterfalls at peaks..ie, near the keg) seperating the two bases?

Look at DM-gateway for some inspiration.

The terrain is the easiest part out of everything, in my opinion. Theres a tutorial by Hourences, which I had no problem following.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUT View Post
                  The terrain is the easiest part out of everything, in my opinion. Theres a tutorial by Hourences, which I had no problem following.
                  Yeah im following that tutorial now, but the problem that im havin is this is the first "additive" world ive ever made, and I dont know what im supposed to do to close it off... do I put it all in a big box?

Comment

Why the huge walls around the tower in that 2nd pic? I hope your doing additive rather than subtractive

Comment

Yeah I am dont worry.. I wanted to play test it without getting horrid corrupted graphics that come up.

Comment

just place the space sphere from UN-Sky package in your map, resize it to fit (use it by putting your towers inside the hollow of the sphere, then you wont get "HOM" (Hall of Mirrors).

Comment

Originally posted by SKYFURNACE View Post
                          just place the space sphere from UN-Sky package in your map, resize it to fit (use it by putting your towers inside the hollow of the sphere, then you wont get "HOM" (Hall of Mirrors).
                          Brilliant, thankyou.

Comment

I am a typical Face fanatic, but I think this is turning out well, good luck.

As others have mentioned, the lighting is a bit bright, and though I would prefer the weapon locations to all be the same. It is your map and any idea you have is worth beta testing.

Comment

Originally posted by {SotC}Karn View Post
                              Yeah im following that tutorial now, but the problem that im havin is this is the first "additive" world ive ever made, and I dont know what im supposed to do to close it off... do I put it all in a big box?
                              Originally posted by SKYFURNACE View Post
                              Yeah, that's the beauty of additive worlds.

It was confusing for me at first (still is a little), but makes using terrain much, much easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X