Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT3 Converter2 - 0.25c / UT4 Converter 0.4.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, will the later versions have the textures and meshes,etc. intact so we can just import it and go?

Comment

be patient i'm currently working about exporting textures, vehicles, lavavolumes,watervolumes,..
      For staticmeshes i'm not sure i will be able to do something with it.

Comment

Okay, you're awesome man, UT3 was lacking some of the old classics and you bought them back.

I know I've asked too many questions but these are my last ones.

1.If you have downloaded a map, does it import just like the official ones?

2.Since UT2003 and 2004 are basically the same, will UT2003 maps convert the same way?

3.Do we need to add music, or does that import too?

Those are my last questions, and thanks again for making this.

Comment

Thanks dude, I didnt read the whole thread, but....where does v.0019 put the coverted .t3d files? It converts fine, but then who knows where it puts the file. So I'm trying V.0018 now. Am I just blind?

Comment

Looking awesome ^^
            I'm totally **** at using UnrealEd, so I'll have to wait for a version that can make conversions a lot cleaner, but this is something everyone will want.
            Many grats, keep going for it!

Comment

My map converted well. All except one brush which UT3 doesn't like for some reason. Here's a link to the brush as a .UT2 file. Any idea why this won't import? An identical one imported fine along with the map.
              http://up-file.com/download/3a5b3740358/brush.ut2.html

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
              lol. Those coffee beans are freakin' great. My wife got me turned on to them. I can't remember if they are chocolate covered coffee beans... I think they are.
              I haven't heard of those chocolate covered beans, I just munch the ones you're supposed to make coffee with. Bad habit, I expect my teeth will go brown and fall out sooner or later.

Sorry to hear about your fiancee...
              She was way too young for me at the time and it was a few years ago. She's getting married on January 5th and she actually invited me too. I might have a slight urge when it comes to the "forever hold your peace" part but I think I'll let her off this time.

I am in fact working on some stuff, but I'm still in the learning phase again due to the differences from the ued versions.
              Great to hear Teddie, I'll look forward to seeing your next creation. I hadn't seen CartrightHall before either... Incredible stuff there mate. I'm in awe. GL & HF with your next one!

Comment

A few notes that might help people who can't get this working in v0019 :

A .ut2 map taken from My Documents produced no output .t3d, where the same map taken from D:/UT2004/Maps produced a myLevel.t3d and a UT3PORT.t3d

UT3PORT.t3d files import to UEd4 cleanly but myLevel.t3d and the suggested UT3MAPPORT.t3d files seem to crash the editor. I think anything else has been mentioned so far.

Comment

handy little program. One suggestion though...

Currently when importing brushes, it is also importing Zone portal brushes (light green). Its my understanding that UT3 no longer uses these and it would save a step if we didnt have to delete each of them after importing a UT2k4 map.

Select all sub brushes and hide, select all add brushes and hide, select all point lights and hide, then click and drag to select all (light green) zone brushes and delete. Then show all actors and continue with design.

Also as most are probably aware it also imports sheet brushes which will typically show up black. Most likely due to it not being able to find its associated texture. I typically delete these as well and re create them if needed in my designs.

Comment

after built walls all screwed up

Hi, I love your little utility. I guess it can help a lot on porting the old favourite maps of ut99 to a newer version. UT3 was built to attract the old ut99 players back to ut again.

Still I have this little problem when I started on DM-Agugu. After converting it from ut99 and importing it in unrealed the walls (in perspective view didnt seem to be in the same place like they were in brush wireframe. I would like to fix this because of agugu being one of the most favourite 10n1-maps ever.

Has anyone a beginning of solution?

Comment

On the question of including static meshes, if the static mesh packages used in UT2004 were recreated in UT3 with the same names, would you be able to add a feature to add meshes to the map converter?

Comment

Lol, I have been working on something very similar in cpp, although my focus has been primarily converting UT 99 AS maps.

Your project seems alot more ambitious than what I intended, so I will probably discontinue my own work. I did discover some things that you might find useful:

In Ut99 (Maybe also 2k3/4) a brush may have a scale, rotation and/or location parameter. These parameters are read by UT3 but not used correctly. The wireframe of the brush looks correct but once you compile the geometry it will be positioned incorrectly and I dont think the brush is fixable after the conversion.
                        Theres at least two ways of solving this problem:

- Have the tool transform all brushes according to the transformations specified in its properties.
                        - Just ignore it and insist mappers do the following before exporting the map to t3d: Select all Brushes, then right click on a brush and choose "Transform -> Transform permanently" from the context menu.

Textures:

- If you use the command "ucc batchexport <upackage> texture bmp <destdir>" ucc will export all textures to destdir. Create a small script/program to do it on all packages in Maps and Textures

- UT3 has problems importing textures correctly, it often crashes or gets a bad result. Ut99 only supports two export formats: pcx, where UT3 crashes on approx 5% of the files, and bmp, which UT3 doesnt always read correctly. I used ImageMagicks commandline converter to convert each image by "convert -compress none <file> <file>". Its still a bmp but now UT3 can import it correctly. No idea if this is necessary for 2k3/2k4.

- In UnrealEd you can select multiple files when you select import in the generic browser. Theres a bug that prevents importing more than approx 2500 files at once but thats enough to make this part painless. After you selected a large number of image files for import you get an import dialog where you put a checkmark in "Create Material?" before clicking "OK To All"

- For some reason its pretty fast to import the files, but saving the resulting package takes forever (at least 4+ hours for 4000+ textures from ut99 on a 3 Ghz Core duo with 2 GB memory)

- Texture references in UT99 t3d does not contain a package reference so you would just have to prepend "MyPackage." and append "_Mat" and you would have a working reference to to your new texture package.

- Before importing the map you need to first open your texture package as this doesn't happen automatically (theres probably an ini setting to do that)

- Obviously it wouldnt make sense to distribute a colossal texturepackage with a converted map. I believe the builtin commandlets: Editor.MergePackages and Editor.CutDownContent would create a map package with just the required stuff.

Even when the reference is correct there is still a problem with texture alignment. Inspecting the t3d format for UT99 and UT3 the representation of texture coordinates looks unchanged but neightbouring polygons do not match at edges and texture orientation isnt correct either.

Comment

<offtopic>Would you mind if I posted this thread at BuF (BeyondUnreal Fourms)? Some of the members there are banned from here, and they would appreciate it very much if this was done. </offtopic>

Anyway, this utility is awesome. You're doing a good job on it.

Take Care

RoninMasta

Comment

Originally posted by RoninMasta View Post
                            <offtopic>Would you mind if I posted this thread at BuF (BeyondUnreal Fourms)? Some of the members there are banned from here, and they would appreciate it very much if this was done. </offtopic>
                            RoninMasta
                            Yes of course

Originally posted by unrealfan View Post
                            1.If you have downloaded a map, does it import just like the official ones?

2.Since UT2003 and 2004 are basically the same, will UT2003 maps convert the same way?

3.Do we need to add music, or does that import too?

Those are my last questions, and thanks again for making this.
                            1. I don't understand what u really mean.
                            2. For the brushes and lightning yes, for other actors i need to find the correspondance for actors between UT2003 and UT3.
                            3. Sounds,Music not supported yet, i will be able to make something so that all sounds are exported but still would need to import them after into UT3 editor.

Originally posted by UnWheelModeller View Post
                            On the question of including static meshes, if the static mesh packages used in UT2004 were recreated in UT3 with the same names, would you be able to add a feature to add meshes to the map converter?
                            The only thing i can do about staticmeshes is to export them as .t3d files therefore you would need to import the .t3d files as StaticMeshes.

Comment

this wont start up fpr me :s

Comment

oh nevermind, I got it. Extract the files you idiot woooo !!

Comment

Working...
                                X