Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT3 Converter2 - 0.25c / UT4 Converter 0.4.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hazel.H View Post
    hard work.
    It's not really hard work, is it?
    I'd prefer to give credits. It's a worn out argument. Do I recreate almost unheard of but spectacular maps just when the community is eager to embrace them, hoping to relive some of the past thrills and glory with a captive new audience or... not.

Ports FTW.

Comment

My ut3 editor also crashes after import atempt. Done all by your instructions. also if it does work would any custom weapons still be in the map?

Thanx for the work and time on this

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet View Post

Durr have you ever made your own map besides a cube with a few lights in it?

Comment

I have a problem, I have converted my map (ut2004), redone textures and made alterations as necessary however I can't add my music back into it. After conversion the mapinfo option in myworld is rendered useless. I have also tested this with a map I have done entirely from within the ed and it works perfect but all converted maps I have tried have the same problem. Without having access to mapinfo option music can't be added to maps. Is there any possible fix for this, nice work by the way, other than this I have had no problem with this program other than the occasional crash on import. (I just shut down as many unused apps as I can and crashes no more)

Comment

Originally posted by frisp View Post
            OK, just tried exporting a default map from 2k4 on my laptop (XP Pro SP2). Exported no problems, UT GOTY maps still stopping before completing output though. Copied over to my main PC (Vista). Editor crashes on import almost straight away.
            Yes tried both with and without safe mode.

Comment

I'd prefer to give credits. It's a worn out argument. Do I recreate almost unheard of but spectacular maps just when the community is eager to embrace them, hoping to relive some of the past thrills and glory with a captive new audience or... not.

Ports FTW.
              Yep, it is a worn out argument. The only reason you could possibly be saying any of this here is because you likely never made a level of your own, which you prototyped yourself, built the base layout of (even on paper perhaps), spent a long time balancing out the layout with a weapon placement until you've satisfied the majority of a vast amount of people testing your level and then spending even more time making sure it looks as good as the engine the game runs on permits you to while maintaining a steady framerate.

Let's not forget even, that making levels is not hard work at all, I mean, it's not like people can make a living off creating levels, because anyone can do it because it's not hard work at all! In fact, the people who do this for a living must be relying on sheer luck and the ability to port levels using utilities like these, there's no possible way they actually dedicate a large portion of time and effort to it.

Please do not speak your mind on things you obviously have absolutely no clue about.

EDIT: Sorry for going off topic on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjosz View Post
                Yep, it is a worn out argument. The only reason you could possibly be saying any of this here is because you likely never made a level of your own, which you prototyped yourself, built the base layout of (even on paper perhaps), spent a long time balancing out the layout with a weapon placement until you've satisfied the majority of a vast amount of people testing your level and then spending even more time making sure it looks as good as the engine the game runs on permits you to while maintaining a steady framerate.
                How did you come to that conclusion?

Let's not forget even, that making levels is not hard work at all, I mean, it's not like people can make a living off creating levels, because anyone can do it because it's not hard work at all! In fact, the people who do this for a living must be relying on sheer luck and the ability to port levels using utilities like these, there's no possible way they actually dedicate a large portion of time and effort to it.
                Hah! I knew it. Had my suspicions for a long time but never saw an outright admission.

Please do not speak your mind on things you obviously have absolutely no clue about.
                I don't but like what exactly? Naw, I'm not trying to insult level designing as a job. In fact it's obviously a dream job so why so defensive? I don't think it can qualify as hard work but that's my opinion and I have plenty of experience of mapping with UEd, also had maps tested by my clan mates but not vast amounts of people. Glad you seem to be going far with mapping and I hope you enjoy it.

I'd rather new people went online with UT3 and had a good experience so they pick up the game again. Ports are a quick way to try and get this happening as they'll get to play classics. The old arguement about scale issues ruining ports is a largely obsolete one with UT3 as the movement I think, will make ports from UT and UT2004 as good as the original. I've played IG maps for years on both sides of the pond. It's surprising that a large amount of maps I've enjoyed most on US servers have never been seen on Euro servers, and vica versa. These are some sublime maps that would never see the light of day again. They're dead, relics unless someone gives them a new lease of life. How can anyone be opposed to that?

Comment

I don't but like what exactly? Naw, I'm not trying to insult level designing as a job. In fact it's obviously a dream job so why so defensive? I don't think it can qualify as hard work but that's my opinion and I have plenty of experience of mapping with UEd, also had maps tested by my clan mates but not vast amounts of people. Glad you seem to be going far with mapping and I hope you enjoy it.

I'd rather new people went online with UT3 and had a good experience so they pick up the game again. Ports are a quick way to try and get this happening as they'll get to play classics. The old arguement about scale issues ruining ports is a largely obsolete one with UT3 as the movement I think, will make ports from UT and UT2004 as good as the original. I've played IG maps for years on both sides of the pond. It's surprising that a large amount of maps I've enjoyed most on US servers have never been seen on Euro servers, and vica versa. These are some sublime maps that would never see the light of day again. They're dead, relics unless someone gives them a new lease of life. How can anyone be opposed to that?
                  Level design is not a job that can be taken lightly. It requires a lot of logic skills and creativity. I suppose you wouldn't think that architecture is hard work either? All they do is build beautiful sculptures/buildings, it's not like they have to take in account carrying capacity or anything. You would probably be surprised how hard this type of work is.

Secondly, I'm not opposing remakes. Given that someone has permission from the original author they should definitely remake maps if they want to. I'm merely suggesting that this tool would make people forget how much effort goes into levels which are remade. Straight 1:1 ports from old levels also tend to not fit the scale and movement of the new game, which makes ports poor adaptations.

Comment

Where exactly does it place the converted file? Mine says map converted then I have no idea where it put it?!

Dan

Comment

It's definitely not like heavy physical labor. I'm not going to accidentally break my foot working on maps.

I think the addictive nature of mapping puts it in a "hard work" category. I don't know how else to explain it.

I know on a few of the maps I worked on my health took a dive.

Try working a regular job, maintain relationships with wife and kids, and then work on maps until the sun comes up on nothing but coffee and cigarettes. lol.

My map DM-CartwrightHall... I always say it was fun to work on, but I also remember being quite sick and sleep deprived during the few months I worked on it.

It is fun work, it is hard work... but we choose to do it for whatever reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by dfruchter View Post
                        Where exactly does it place the converted file? Mine says map converted then I have no idea where it put it?!

Dan
                        it should be where the program is.
                        <yourfolder>/UTConverter.jar
                        <yourfolder>/OutputUT3.t3d

Comment

By "hard work" I mean there is a considerable amount of time and thought put into the various stages of map development. If it was so easy, why would people want a convertor in the first place?

Comment

While I personally won't use this tool I’m ok with it existing and people using it. As long as the people who do use it put some thought and work in to the ports. What I don't want to see is a bunch of 1:1 ports that have not been rescaled or worked around the new movement system. That can be a big deal when you’re working on an UT2k4 map with doge jump ramps and such.

dfruchter: The new .td3 will be exported into the same folder as your (mapname).td3 from Ued 1,2 and 3 was exported too.

Giblet:"It's not really hard work, is it?" - Depends what you make. Yeah, mapping for the instagib community is probley a piece of cake. Subtract a cube, throw some random meshes or additive brushes to reduce hitscan and there you go. You can make one of those maps in about an hour or less. Now if you map and try to get the best playability out of your map and the best looking visuals the process can take a large amount of time and a lot of talent involved. If you are working as a professional or on a mod/mappack team with strict deadlines... like Teddie said there can and will be nights where you get almost no sleep and the only thing that is keeping you going is a unnatural amount of caffeine consumed

Comment

So when is the light radius / color gonna get fixed?

Comment

Check,for later viewing

Comment

Working...
                                X