CTF-Atlantea [FINAL - DOWNLOAD - UPDATED 01.13.2008]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I have some serious complaints about this map:

* This thing is too freakin' pretty. I'm going to lose my job if I keep wandering around, just gawking at the eye candy. That includes the water-mesh "statues", and the cool water flow / leaks everywhere.

* There's way too much variety of items, and too much of a mix of cover and open spaces. I want a map that's a plain gray box with a redeemer.

* Your extra detail -- like the arrows on the jump-pads, or the underwater volcano visible from under the whale-things -- is completely unnecessary. Such love and attention to detail is far less efficient than a GRAY BOX AND A REDEEMER.

(On a serious note, there's a little problem with collision near the shield belt, and on the underside of the whale-thingy near the health keg)

Again, final takeaways:

* Box
    * Redeemer

Thanks.

Comment

Haha, okay, a non-facetious post now:

* I recognize that sound clip! Starcraft! Templars! Sweet!

* The big framerate drop seems to happen when I get near some of your doors. There might be a teeny mesh problem, but I doubt it (your attention to detail is too high). I think they're either not closing completely (forcing non-occlusion), or the engine is messing up with a "flush" or 0-width gap between two objects.

While I haven't mapped since the days of DOOM and Duke Nukem, you might be able to fix that with an overlapping "lip" on one of the doors where they join (image: http://www.efloors.com/prodimages/Sh...-Stairnose.jpg ), or you can make it open up or down with a recessed groove in the ceiling or floor.

If it wasn't clear before, this map is a work of art, and should be recognized as such by the folks at Epic. You might want to polish up your resume and send it to them.

Comment

He won't do anything to this map, its some kind of art thing more than an actual map for him.

Comment

Ah good idea, Ill add some detail like realtime reflections and enter in phase 2 :P

Comment

U actally posted. So are u ever going to bother make a 'lite' version for play? I'm sure the MSU would be amazed by this, but also, remember they WILL look down on it since it can't be played on systems with a 8800GTX on the highest setting. Just keep that in mind if your hoping to win, cause if it stays unplayable at HIgh and only at low, you'll loose your chance to win, since then the map won't look as amazing on low than it would be if you can get 50fps on HIGH!

Comment

I tried it, but I ended up cutting out the entire middle section of the map... :P

Comment

Mr Ugly pants, i respect your opinion, but i have know a lot of great gaming artists, and if you don't want to cough up the scratch for quad core, and dual 8800xt in sli, then don't and also don't complain.
                hell, even my laptop has raid0 and dual 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT in Sli,and PhsX
                "and fuel injection"
                thank you NEcRO-, and maybe i can talk you into making a ut2004 level, where people actually play
                Okay, I have some serious complaints about this map:

* This thing is too freakin' pretty. I'm going to lose my job if I keep wandering around, just gawking at the eye candy. That includes the water-mesh "statues", and the cool water flow / leaks everywhere.

* There's way too much variety of items, and too much of a mix of cover and open spaces. I want a map that's a plain gray box with a redeemer.

* Your extra detail -- like the arrows on the jump-pads, or the underwater volcano visible from under the whale-things -- is completely unnecessary. Such love and attention to detail is far less efficient than a GRAY BOX AND A REDEEMER.

(On a serious note, there's a little problem with collision near the shield belt, and on the underside of the whale-thingy near the health keg)

Again, final takeaways:

* Box
                * Redeemer

Thanks.
                ditto

Comment

Did anyone ever go back to this level?

Lord Porksword recently redid an old level of his (Orbital Decay) by just changing stuff under the hood, and the gain in FPS was astonishing. I see no reason Atlantea cannot run much better.

You can see what he did here:

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=615592

If the original creator is unwilling, are the materials there for someone else to tinker with? It's a beautiful map but it drops so many frames, and it doesn't really need to. Yeah it's visually intense, but if Orbital Decay and MCC-Hanger play at 60 fps on my computer, there's no reason Atlantea shouldn't be in the same range, at least 45-50, not the 15-30 I get.

EDIT: Necro, if you're still there, I would contact Lord Porksword and ask what he did, because his level has almost as much going on as yours and he managed to get it to 60 fps (basically triple or quadruple the performance). And as I said, the level looks identical as far as details and such.

I also noticed some flickering lights and clipping errors with the lights as well. I really think this map could be made playable and be one of the stronger maps out there. If you don't have the time or don't care to, can you release the materials so somebody can make an optimized version?

Comment

Sure Im still there...but the map is just to massive to optimize it without changing the center part a lot... with my new machine I get above 35fps at all times anyways, so no reason to change it...hurr durr ;OO

Comment

Working...
                    X