This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -=Angelus=- View Post
    I had some experience with maya and max before I picked up UED3 . I think my first ut3 map was the 3dbuzz entry (more below). The reason I act all surprised about the reactions here is because I kinda went awol after releasing it.
    UT3 was and still is pretty much dead on clanbase and in the irc circles I travel. Initial response was great yes, but after that I never heard someone about them again . I can understand what you mean with steep learning curve. I recently began making some goty maps for UT and I have to say...that first unrealed is even more buggy than ued 3

The first map I made for ut3 was rather a pain in the ***. As it was part of a contest I was bound to rules (I don't like rules). One of them being : Only original static meshes from epic. So what did I do? I just created 2 spaceships in bsp and bended the rules a little . I never managed to complete it. And now that map is lost as I never backed it up before the fire. Some shots and a video....hope I don't break the forum now :S :
    Wow, that looks slick .. (the action starts looking very cool around 1.17 on the video) those shots look amazing .. usually when someone is good to begin with in this hobby / business - they tend to only get better or improve with more time & experience, some of our best works might well lay ahead.

So are you saying you lost this one completely? you have no cooked or uncooked beta's / alphas or anything floating around? shame to lose something like that if so .. (i'm going to back everything up this month i think) now you've got me thinking .. (not just UT3 related stuff but years of life) Any how .. the custom ship and pyramid are crazy cool.

Like i said its a shame to lose hard work but don't give up, you can make something as good if not better if your still enjoying editing .. (UT3 / U3Engine is still the premier editing vehicle of anything out there IMHO)

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post
      Wow, that looks slick .. (the action starts looking very cool around 1.17 on the video) those shots look amazing .. usually when someone is good to begin with in this hobby / business - they tend to only get better or improve with more time & experience, some of our best works might well lay ahead.

So are you saying you lost this one completely? you have no cooked or uncooked beta's / alphas or anything floating around? shame to lose something like that if so .. (i'm going to back everything up this month i think) now you've got me thinking .. (not just UT3 related stuff but years of life) Any how .. the custom ship and pyramid are crazy cool.

Like i said its a shame to lose hard work but don't give up, you can make something as good if not better if your still enjoying editing .. (UT3 / U3Engine is still the premier editing vehicle of anything out there IMHO)
      Yeah I lost everything from that map. I'm not that fuzzed about it really . Back then I just made those maps out of boredom more or less . I might do 2 more ut3 ctf maps and perhaps recreate this DM map plus a few ut goty maps for the current clanbase season (sDom / ctf) but that's about it. Don't really have that much free time between writing scripts, post production and vfx creation to spend hours in ued3 that randomly crashes twice every hour .

Comment

Wow Angelus your lost work looks COOL Reminds me of Stargate

BTW welcome to the forums it is good to see your still making maps alot of people just seem to go away. **** you were ahead of your time releasing stuff for UT3 so soon after the game came out. Command rocks. Hope to see some more maps from you.

Comment

Think I might mail 3dbuzz to see if they still have it as I had to upload it to their ftp at the deadline. It was based on Stargate yes . Is there any "old" map that people are still waiting for to be remade?

Comment

I'm sure there are quite a few unmade maps from the original. I could probably think up a few. I'll post back here in a few days with a few map ideas.

Comment

Al right, I have decided to begin work on a new Classic Map Pack. I currently have 3 maps from UT Goty in the pipeline, and 1 new unreleased UT Goty map which I will remake in UT3 as well. So that's 4 maps right now. Any suggestions? Feel free to post them and I'll take them into consideration.

Comment

That is good news. I am looking forward to so more of your good work. I hope you are planning another CTF map pack. There seems to be over abundance of people making DM maps. This community is in need of more CTF mappers.

2 really cool maps that come to mind are CTF-Espirit and CTF-Bedrooms. CTF-Noonraid was alot fun too.
                CTF-CybrosisII was a really good map also. So much battling in all those halls with the ramps.

CTF-AbsoluteZero from UT2004
                CTF-December or January
                CTF-GeoThermal

Comment

4 of them will be ctf maps. 1 will be a DM map . And if Joker can find my lost map on 3dbuzz's servers I will add that one as a bonus map.

Comment

Al right, I have decided to begin work on a new Classic Map Pack. I currently have 3 maps from UT Goty in the pipeline, and 1 new unreleased UT Goty map which I will remake in UT3 as well. So that's 4 maps right now. Any suggestions? Feel free to post them and I'll take them into consideration.
                    Oh wow! - this certainly is good news ..

I'd like to make a few suggestions (i'm going to go through an old hard drive i have to plug in with a ton of UT99 maps on it, to give me some idea's there are some i remember vividly running through but can't think of the names, i'll be back with more info in the coming days)

Glad to hear we're in store for some more CTF maps, as Gussy[MK] says there certainly are lots of DM maps and fewer CTF maps ..

Off the top I'd ad that I remember CTF-Espirit de corp, that was an incredible map! so much fun getting those jump boots and jumping up on the colosseum and escaping from someone, or taking the lift to the bell tower and sneaking out the top (but if someone shot the bell it would kill you when it knocked against you) you had the side paths and inside past the doors through the middle around the horn or up high over the top ..

I'd also have to agree with CTF-December or CTF-January from UT2004, those maps were great, as long as the scaling is done right and the original elements are there for dodging across to the ship in the middle it could really be incredible in UT3. Perhaps even November Classic from UT99, or CTF-November clan addition (the one with the blue base on both sides) Another great map was CTF-Deadly Gazpacho (I believe that was a bonus map from none other than Cliff Bleszinski.

This is great that Angelus is doing another Classic Map Pack! - Its also awesome that he's asking for input .. (I anticipate more input will start to trickle in)

Comment

4 of them will be ctf maps. 1 will be a DM map . And if Joker can find my lost map on 3dbuzz's servers I will add that one as a bonus map.
                      Good to see you back on board Angelus. I mostly play and map DM stuff. Yes there have been several remakes made already but some of them aren't very good unfortunately. I have still have plans to "remake some of the remakes" for myself and friends since I don't like how some of them came out.

I definitely perk up though when I quality mapper like yourself is interested in doing remakes.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea for a pack and a follow-up. Any chance of a CTF-Darji16 remake?

Comment

Here's the list thus far:

DM-Cinder (remake of DOM-Cinder) 50 % Complete
                          DM-Proclarush-Taonas (New map, entry for 3dbuzz contest) 90 % complete if Joker can find it in the dungeons of 3dbuzz
                          CTF-Saphrodite (new map) 70 % Complete
                          CTF-Coret (remake) 0 % Complete
                          CTF-Infested (remake) 0% Complete
                          CTF-Revenge (remake) 0 % Complete.

Pack will take some time. I don't have that much free time left between raising a little kid (Didn't have one with the first pack >_<) and script writing

Comment

Good to hear someone is remaking more of the goty/classic maps and I'm glad to hear about the remake map pack.

good luck!

Comment

Here's the list thus far:

DM-Cinder (remake of DOM-Cinder) 50 % Complete
                              DM-Proclarush-Taonas (New map, entry for 3dbuzz contest) 90 % complete if Joker can find it in the dungeons of 3dbuzz
                              CTF-Saphrodite (new map) 70 % Complete
                              CTF-Coret (remake) 0 % Complete
                              CTF-Infested (remake) 0% Complete
                              CTF-Revenge (remake) 0 % Complete.

Pack will take some time. I don't have that much free time left between raising a little kid (Didn't have one with the first pack >_<) and script writing
                              Hey that's cool that you're remaking Cinder! We used to rename it and play it as DM back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by M^vL View Post
                                Hey that's cool that you're remaking Cinder! We used to rename it and play it as DM back in the day.
                                Cinder is my favourite map and most played map in the odd 10 years I have been playing UT Goty. I have fond memories of shock whoring my way around the Nook Control Point while x-loccing to the udamage. And epic dropped the ball hard when they introduced double dom...the people demand classic dom for pete's sake

Comment

Working...
                                X