Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Ut2d 1.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ut2d 1.0

Newer version at http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=614560

Name: UT2D
    Version: 1.0
    Credits: Joe Bates (jbizzler) and Chaosnight for the map Chaotic
    Homepage: This thread so far.
    Download: http://files.filefront.com/UT2D+10zi.../fileinfo.html

Description:
    This mod creates gametypes that turns UT3 into a 2D game! You jump a little higher, and some things are missing, but other than that it's basically UT in 2D!

Changes:
    Added ability to jump out of water.

0.9.8b
    Added UT2DBlockingVolume.

Tweaked spectator mode.
    Made players walk through each other.
    Blocking volumes change (use regular BlockingVolumes now)

Added PS3 support.
    Fixed camera effects so they stay on the screen (i.e. Impact Hammer blood spatter)
    Fixed recursive EncroachedBy bug.
    Removed UT2D Instagib mutator along with Instagib Rifle (suddenly stopped working!)
    Included UT2D-Chaotic
    Some other stuff I can't remember.

Fixed tiny bug that makes bots appear to shoot behind themselves.
    Added the ability to extend view downward while crouching.
    New level border mandate, see mapping notes.

Added UT2DScout for proper bot pathing (see mapping notes)
    Made the AI better again.

Added UT2D Duel gametype.
    Restricted AI sight to be similar to human's.
    Greatly improved AI to act more human.
    Bots only go after flag bases in CTF games.

Made bots far better.

Fixed dropped powerups leaving the 2D plane.

Restricted UT2D Instagib mutator to UT2D gametypes.
    Made wall-jumping values the same as they will be in Zeeless.
    Added some additional mapping instructions.

Original Release

Installation:
    Installation is pretty straightforward. For PC, just drag the included UTGame folder to "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3" or wherever you keep your local UT3 files. Then just start up the game, and you'll have three wonderful new gametypes.

For the PS3, place the included USERDATA.JAM file in the root directory (i.e. E:\) of some media the PS3 can read, like a USB flash drive. Start UT3 on the PS3, plug in the media, goto Community->My Content and hit [square] to import it. You should now have the gametypes listed.

What's included:
    Because of its 2D nature, some weapons had to be modified, and others excluded. Also, obviously default UT3 maps won't work very well with it. Here's a list of what has been modified and what hasn't.

Gametypes:
    These are exactly the same as their original shipping counterparts. They only exist to implement the different camera and physics changes. You get:
    UT2D Deathmatch
    UT2D Team Deathmatch
    UT2D Capture The Flag
    UT2D Duel

Weapons:
    Here is a list of all the weapons that have been modified for 2D gameplay.
    Avril (It's silly without vehicles)
    Bio Rifle
    Enforcer
    Flak Cannon (The shells bounce 2D off walls but still spread)
    Impact Hammer (Way more useful in this)
    Link Gun
    Rocket Launcher (The grenades stay on the 2D plane)
    Shock Rifle
    Stinger
    Translocator (The disk stays on the 2D plane)

Weapons not in:
    Sniper
    Redeemer
    Instagib Rifle
    All deployables

Powerups:
    All the powerups are working as well. See mapping notes for a more technical explanation of this.

Cheats:
    AllWeapons will now give you the 2D weapons only.
    DoubleUp will give you a second 2D Enforcer.
    PhysicsGun has been disabled entirely.

Maps:
    This includes the map UT2D-Chaotic, by Chaosnight.

Mutators:
    All the shipping mutators shoudl work except Weapon Replacement and Instagib.

Controls:
    The controls are simple. Everything is for the most part the same as UT3. The only change is forward and backward ('W' and 'S' on a keyboard and up and down on the left analog stick) now make you jump and crouch respectively.

Mapping notes:
    First and foremost, you need to get UT2D into UnrealEd. To do this, first, make sure UnrealEd is closed, then open UTEditor.ini, and find the section that reads [ModPackages]. Add a line to it that reads:
    ModPackages=UT2D
    Then copy
    \Published\CookedPC\Script\UT2D.u
    to
    \Unpublished\CookedPC\Script\UT2D.u

Another important thing is proper bot pathing. You need to modify UnrealEd to make bot paths based on the new jump height. Just open up UTEngine.ini, goto [UTEditor.UTUnrealEdEngine] and set ScoutClassName=UT2D.UT2DScout. Make sure you're under the UTEditor section. There are two other ScoutClassName properties, and it has to be the one in the editor section. Make sure if you ever map for regular UT3 again to change this back.
    You can now start UnrealEd.

Mapping for 2D has a lot of different rules. I have included UT2D-Chaotic. Naturally, all maps should have the prefix 'UT2D' and should support all the UT2D gametypes. So, place UTTeamPlayerStarts and UT2DFlagBases (More on flags in a bit). Flag bases can be in Deathmatch games. They just don't have flags on them, so it's safe to include them. Also, to reflect this, in View->WorldProperties->WorldInfo->GameTypesSupportedOnThisMap, add all 4 UT2D gametypes.

Realize all characters will always be on the plane Y=0. So spawns, factories and triggers should be accessable from this 2D plane.

The camera won't always be in the level. Make sure there is always something for the camera to see to avoid the hall of mirrors effect. Chaotic is a good example of this. Tentacles at the edge of the level block players from ever seeing outside it. Make sure there's always something to look at, and don't let the camera get to such a position where the rest of the level is totally blocked out.

Surround the 2D gameplay plane with 2 UT2DBlockingVolumes, leaving a 64uu valley. Look at Chaotic for an example of this. This way, players who feign death will stay on the 2D plane, and bots know they are restricted to it as well, and don't try and strafe out of it. It lets dead ragdolls through, too.

Some actors should be the UT2D version. Rule of thumb, look at an actor's child classes and see if there is a UT2D version first before placing it in the level. There are special flag bases and poweup factories so they spawn 2D versions that don't bounce out of the 2D plane when dropped. For weapon factories, you can use the normal ones, but make sure they only spawn UT2DWeaps.

It'd be best to put things in the foreground and background for aesthetics, even though they can't be touched. Don't put too much in the foreground, or it will get in the way of the camera.

Add vertical corridors for players to wall dodge back and forth off of and move vertically!

Be original and have fun!

Bug reporting:
    I don't know of any bugs in this, but they might be there. Please post bugs right here on this thread.

Screenshot:
    This is a quick screenshot I made. It'll give you a quick idea of how this mod looks.
    http://home.comcast.net/~joobot/screen2.bmp

**Additional Notes**
    Don't talk about maps on this thread. Chaosnight is going to manage the UT2D mapping community now in another thread. http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=609768
    And/or use the ModDB group:
    http://www.moddb.com/groups/ut2d-mapping

The camera and jump height are the same as what we plan for Zeeless, a TC mod I'm working on. See my signature for more info.

I meant to put this in Full Releases. Could someone please move it?

Comment

Awesomeness! You have brought so much new life into this game for me.

Comment

Is it just me or is the PS3 version in that file the same as the previous one? The file size is exactly the same.

Comment

I think another tweak to the UT2D Scout would be nice. My bots are very shy of trying to reach things that would normally be out of reach. Another thing that I've been wanting to point out to you is falling damage. You can jump so much higher but it seems that the normal height you fall before you receive damage has stayed the same. So in a lot of cases, if you double jump off of something, you'll receive roughly 25 in damage.

So far UT2D 1.0 is great on PC.

Comment

What map are you trying? Depending on how the person cooked their map, the older version might actually be imbedded in it.

The change between versions is so small, I think they just happen to be less than a byte in size difference. I just recooked it and tested it with my test map on the PS3 and I jumped out of the water fine. They really are just that close in size.

Comment

Yeah your right jbizzler, files while being the same size (what a coincidence lol) are different:

Comment

That's just freaky.

Comment

I asked one of my friends that has a DS3 about the shooting and vibrating. Apparently it didn't... so I guess I am just crazy. I wonder why it works for FPV but not with the action cam, or the other 3rd person mod .. and not with UT2D.

Running right past people really helps though. That was a nice addition.

Comment

Anyone looking for a UT2D 1.0 map? Of course there is the awesome Ducts map, but there is now UT2D-Sewer 1.0!
                    UT2D-Sewer 1.0 HAS BEEN RELEASED

Comment

You need more servers running this mod, it looks amazing. I looked in the server browser, and there is only one server running this mod, but it's private and is running an outdated version of the mod.

Comment

Indeed, we do need more servers running the mod. But it's a fairly new mod. I have contacted FrontAXL about updating his server (may be the server you are talking about). But what happens when you update the server is that only certain maps can be played. So all the mappers have to be ready. I'm trying to do my best with staying up with jbizzler and all his releases. Hopefully FrontAXL will update soon, and other mappers will update too, so we can have plenty of maps to play on.

I've decided that I'm going to try my best and spit a new UT2D map out at least each month for the next few months. There aren't very many maps for UT2D yet, so I think there is plenty of room for me to make a bunch of maps. Wish me luck!

Comment

Yeah, thats probably the one. Also, why is it a private server ?

Comment

I have no clue. It's probably not the same server.
                            http://www.gametracker.com/server_in....148.151:7777/
                            We need to try and get a bunch of people playing UT2D. I'm still planning on the website for jbizzler. Messing with designs and stuff.

Comment

I'm sorry about the server running an older version. I'll have it updated tomorrow night. Was really busy this weekend with real life and trying to finish my SuperMario map. Also was waiting for a few maps to be cooked for the final version. It'll be running UT2D 1.0 sometime tomorrow evening, but unless someone releases more maps it'll only have 4 maps in rotation.

It's not a private server. For some reason one of the maps is causing the server to hang. All will be fixed soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X