No announcement yet.

Unreal fansite coming soon offering space to all modders for PC & Playstation 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal fansite coming soon offering space to all modders for PC & Playstation 3

Hi guesty 81 here,

I didn't exactly know where to post this, but if it's in the wrong area, please could a moderator move it.

I am a great fan of unreal tournament 3, being a playstation 3 owner i have greatly appreciated the fine work done by the PC modders, in creating the specific content for the playstation and PC alike.

The problem i have had is in locating the content, but also when finding a map, i've not been able to see other examples of that modders work, which personally i feel is a great shame.

Previous to unreal tournament i was heavily involved with the mod community of Lionhead's the movies and came up with a much loved fansite called skinshack, which proved to be massively popular for that community.

The site offered the opportunity for modders to upload their work, add a screen shot, but not only that modders got their own "my space" style page where they could blog show pics of their work, but also have links to other modders on the page so that the community could be very much linked.

Now the reason I'm saying this is that we intend to offer the same service to unreal tournament modders who wish to use it. This will allow for a central area where modders can upload projects at their will.

I think such a thing would work well as it would hopefully remove some of the problems that exist here where PC modders are nagged to death to cook it to PS3.

What happened within the movies community is that when such questions arose to the availability of a mod they were simply referred to the mod site and as a result it reduced a lot of hostility.

I hope to have some screenshots soon, of the specific site for unreal, but if any of the modders are interested in browsing the features of the site and what will be offered to the unreal community they can find the site here

Thanks
    guesty81

Make it so you can download the files directly form your PS3 and I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint View Post
      Make it so you can download the files directly form your PS3 and I'm happy.
      Yes the idea will be that underneath each pic there will be a download tab, one for PC and the other for Playstation.

It will work like our current site, for the movies by lionhead
      , skinshack

As you can see from that page (link above) that content will be accessible to all, and with the unreal site a playstation download option will be offered also

Here's an initial pic of the site designed for the unreal community

Comment

yikes.....an old screen shot of Skinshack for TheMovies and an ultra early screenshot for the new Skinshack UT3 site.

Hi, i'm trip and i'm new here. i am excited to work with guesty81 on another hassle free service. don't let the early screen shot fool ya......you'll see

Comment

This site is gonna be nice. I hope everyone uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint View Post
            This site is gonna be nice. I hope everyone uses it.
            yes so do we lol the site is built of the success we have had with mods with other games, so as a format we know it can work, we will just need the modders to upload their content.

site is nearing completion, we are (tripmills lol ) is just finishing of some forum cod, and then we will get the front end looking nice

fingers crossed for a successful launch

Comment

To many sites already!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pingfreak View Post
                To many sites already!!!
                i hear ya.

sorry to say 'here comes another', but......

i can let you know that we are not a fly by night free hosting site, or anything like that. we are a self running, service based site. i am happy to say we don't use any of those CMS php template sites or anything like that.

it's wait and see from here to see if our ideas work and are accepted.

like i said - don't let the super early screen shot fool ya

Comment

Originally posted by tripmills View Post
                  i hear ya.

i can let you know that we are not a fly by night free hosting site, or anything like that. we are a self running, service based site. i am happy to say we don't use any of those CMS php template sites or anything like that.

it's wait and see from here to see if our ideas work and are accepted.

like i said - don't let the super early screen shot fool ya
                  Completely agree this is a fully developed and specifically created site, built all 'in house' without using any templates etc, it's hard to explain what it will be like as the community for unreal has never had such style of site, but the same idea has proved extremely successful when we have been working with other game communities.

The site will have

- Modders portfolio page - with links to all their work, with blogs, screenshots of work, plus friend links allowing them to link with other modders

- Full PS3 browser support - offering playstation owners to download from their own browser

- Full pc hosting

- Each mod will have a screenshot, description then format availabilty links ( and will be available direct from site rather than sending you to file planet etc)

- On the home page you will be able to see the latest mods released so that you can keep track of the mods instantly

- Fully fledged forum ' in built' so again doesnt use any pre designed template, which will offer modders and users alike a place to discuss projects etc

The site we hope will offer modders a place to not just host their work, but offer modders a home which appreciated and wants top know more about their work, and will offer modders the profile they rightly deserve ...

A site dedicated to them, for them

Comment

Since we are getting very close i felt a bump in order.

I also wanted to add a few simple things too. Since we do this all in house with hand written code, and on our own servers - we are not faced with many tech restrictions. That makes it very easy for us to act on what people want or suggest.

questy81 said it all when he said 'A site dedicated to them, for them'

I don't really see what we do as a fansite, but more of a fan service.

The work we put into this is not motivated by profit or popularity. It may sound corny but it is out of love for the game.

my last ramble and then i'll be quiet:
                    -i started playing ut3 lastnight and wasn't bummed when i finished last place in my first deathmatch. however, i was totally suprised when we (the same group from the first match) played another round and i took 1st.

and since i announced myself as new and have the post count. just so you don't think i am totally 'new'. i used to make maps for duke nukem 3d and one of my first websites was for duke nukem 3d maps and whatnot. so if anyone remembers playing games on TEN you know my history.

Comment

Thank you for making this site. As a PS3 owner I'm truely thankful.

Comment

I think this site will be a help to all modders alike. I mean it seriously. This sounds like a really good Idea.

Comment

Originally posted by UnrealBomber View Post
                          I think this site will be a help to all modders alike. I mean it seriously. This sounds like a really good Idea.
                          Thanks for the support... the quote above is exactly what we're aiming for a community site offering mods for all. we will soon be sending modders a pm to upload some mods prior to release (just so there's some initial mods) and we'll also be looking for a few forum moderators to help out too

Then it will be pretty much up to the community to add content as well as say what shape they'd like our site to take.

Thanks again for the support... we'll have more news soon

Comment

Site moves really slow being in the US it wont even load.... Unless it's just having issues right now I don't know..

Comment

Originally posted by apophis3d View Post
                              Site moves really slow being in the US it wont even load.... Unless it's just having issues right now I don't know..
                              the unreal site we plan has not been released as of yet so dont know which site you really mean?

If its the original skinshack i am unaware of speed of late, but if it is slow then that it is not the norm.

I can only say again that the Unreal site has not been released yet

be sure to keep you all posted when it does

Comment

Working...
                              X