Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CTF MAPPING PROJECTS NEEDED- read this!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF MAPPING PROJECTS NEEDED- read this!!!

Hello my mapping friends. I am trying to coordinate the development of mapping content and talent for UT3, particularly CTF maps. Original works or remakes from UT & Ut2k4 are welcome. The reason I am doing this is because there seems to be no coordination of who is developing what remake or what new CTF map. I am sure there is a coordinated effort going on somewhere but it appears to be in stealth mode. If there is something in this forum on that point please show it to me! But for example, there's three versions of Grendelkeep, two of Orbital2, one version of Darkside which is, well it is a map at least, and three versions of FaceClassic, none of which play that well.

What I am proposing is a coordination of talent and designs to bring quality CTF content to the community in the shortest amount of time. By pooling & coordinating our efforts we can create a great experience for everyone and get one version of each remake out there. Custom maps are of course less of a concern but they do need to play well first, add the eye candy last. This game is getting better and will continue to improve so we need mappers to coordinate with someone tracking all this stuff and I volunteer. What we need is:

-To know what CTF projects are going on out there.
    -What level of mapping skill do you have?
    -Do you need help to finish your project? (Pathing, Music, Texturing, etc.)
    -Who will coordinate testing before maps are released?
    -Is the map in scale for what you want to accomplish?
    -Does it play well? It's all about the game play!

I used to critique maps for PlanetUnreal and InSite and have a decent idea on what makes a good CTF map. But I could use some help in this quest if people think it's a good idea. I have one mapper already on board. I am working with the UCMP folks on some projects but that is a ways off from being completed. I will track all projects, coordinate skills and promote the maps to my contacts at BU, PU, InSite, UCMP, MapRaider and NaliCity. Coordination is my strength, now I need a few brave PC based mappers to assist me. Who's in???

Myself, I'd just be happy if more people tested my (VCTF) map - I'm sure other mappers who don't do remakes feel the same. There's way more announcements than reviewers in the beta forums right now...

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I don't do VCTF. I drive all the time as it is and it slows down the game IMO. If there are CTF maps that need comments on I would be happy to look at then. Do you mean the UT3 Beta forums? Not sure I ever saw that thread.

Comment

Great idea, I am making CTF-October. It is huge map and needs a lot of teting and polishing.

There is link to slightly outdated pictures and early beta: CTF-October BETA

There was so much feedback that i decided not to hurry with map as nobody really wants to test it, and testing alone takes lots of extra time. My current (not released version) is more polished, but i release it only to people really interested in some testing. Map is scaled from orginal to 1.25 and has very close to it layout, only few small differences.

What i need:
        - help with finding all places that player get stuck and should not.
        - after it's done help with checking all bot support (my computer suffers from strange bot problems that nobody else notices on my maps, those bugs are confirmed by Epic and are on patch 2 list)
        - some profiling on low end systems so i have idea what spots need a bit more optimalisation or less details

But for now that link from beta section is outdated, so please do not test that.

PS. If some skilled mapper want to help with making this map, we may talk about details, fresh look is always welcome.

Comment

Greetings

I am one of the creators of TwistedFace (which I want to comment is not a remake, but more like a rework) and I and Neo (the other mapper I work with) may be quite interested in joining this if we ever update TwistedFace more or for our next projects.

Our current work is a vCTF map, which I see you don't test, but we are CTF fans, so we may be doing that again in the future.

Comment

Nighteye and Nawrot thanks for posting.

Nawrot I am on board with you. I have some suggestions on your map, but it depends upon what you intended to do with this board.

Nighteye, we can use your skills. Maybe a remake project thats not so involved, something you can squeeze into your day? Maybe a CTF version of your vCTF map. The CTF version would or course be much smaller scale but perhaps is a possibility?

If you two join the cause that's three mappers joining in the first 24 hours, a great start!

Comment

EPIC, can I get a list of maps you have in the works so we are not reinventing the wheel???

Comment

I say we either do Bridge of Fate or Lava Giant....

Comment

Bridge of Fate for sure! So is that your next project?

Comment

Originally posted by clark kent View Post

Nawrot I am on board with you. I have some suggestions on your map, but it depends upon what you intended to do with this board.

If you two join the cause that's three mappers joining in the first 24 hours, a great start!
                    Basically for October I plan to release first asymmetrical version, get some feedback. And then make symmetrical red or blue mirrored version that will focus on best competitive gameplay.

We could pick next CTF map to remake. I vote for lava giant, but it needs good quality terrain, and it can be done only in modeling program. CSG for it is out of question. Simple terrain has limits, it will look bad (too steep slopes, terrain would need something like 256x256 patches to counter it). Best would be making vertical walls of terrain in max or maya then flat top as ut terrain. Rest of lava giant is quite easy.

Comment

Nawrot, did you read the Private Message I sent you? Please contact me that way so we can discuss more details. - Clark

Comment

I my self am not a fan of Lavagiant but you guys are the mappers. If EPIC is NOT redoing Bridge of Fate then I say let's go for it NightEye.

Nawrot, did you read the Private Message I sent you? Please contact me that way so we can discuss more details. Like I said I am NOT a fan of Lavagiant because it's not symmetrical, same with Eternal caves. I was thinking a remake of MAUL, Chrome, Extortion][, RomraMoonStation (Easy one), Lucius, or CampGrounds. I am trying to stay away from non-symmetrical maps. But you guys are the mappers and I have no idea how difficult, other then RomraMoonStation which should be a snap, of how hard these are to do!

Comment

Projects that are done well so far or are in process:

Done:
                          GrendelKeep-CE, FaceClassic, D-Day, Thorns, Incinerator are done and play great.

Remakes In Process:
                          Darkside, October, Orbital2 - But it needs lighting work badly

Proposed Remakes so far:
                          Bridge of Fate, November

Comment

Now I remember Bridge of fate, was fun map back then.

Comment

Back then? That's still being played quite a bit on the PUB's... :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X