Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the avarage modders/mappers age and when did y'all start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,
    i was just wondering what the average age of a mapper or modder is (when they started)
    I'm 14 years old and have started mapping 3 weeks ago :P Yes you can call me a newb
    Cya,
    Rik

Whats the "average" rate of spelling in 14 year olds, lol "avarage".

Anyway, i'm 14 going 15 and i'm making mods and maps, i started officially about six months ago

Comment

I started making UT99 maps when I was about 14 too; they were rubbish. Current age is 23, though until now I hadn't touched the editor in several years.

Comment

I started modding at age 12, its when i first heard about mods, and gave it a try. It all started with C&C Renegade. That was almost 6 years ago.

Comment

This may not be a direct answer to your question but heres my 2 bits.

Fist of all, modding is a lot of hard work! And its getting harder and harder to create a successful mod. So IMO, the question shouldn't be "how old" a modder is, but rather "what kind" of modder one is.

1. The "kiddies" - I would categorize them as the kids who are new to moding. Some are extremely skilled, but most treat modding as little more then a side hobby. For a lot of there guys, modding is just a social scene. Often times, public disputes irrupt between these modders and mud slinging is common.

2. The "Professional" - This is a person who knows what he wants. He runs his mod like he would run a company or studio. The "Professional" is usually not a teenager but a 27 to 40 year old adult, and already has some kind of real world work experience in a related field. New "applicants" must pass a test of some kind before being allowed to join his team. Most, but not all mods of this type are staffed by at least a half dozen skilled members. These mods are the ones that actually produce the goods at the end of the day. Many of the guys who run these kinds of operations eventually get acquired or go into the video games industry.

Comment

I think you're going to find that almost *everyone* will fit into the 10-20 category.

I completely disagree about the "kiddies" and "professionals". I started in this scene at around 12, mucking about with Red Alert and later Tiberian Sun. When I got my hands on Quake 3 at around 14, I got down to my first serious coding. Back then, articles on games programming were scarce, so you learnt through trial and error.

I'm 21 now, and I do contract unreal work for a living. I've been a part of many successful and unsuccessful teams. In all that experience, practically none of them consisted of your 'professional 27-40' year olds. In fact, the vast majority would consist of students, or low-level professionals who are curious, want to build a portfolio and want to get down deep into a game engine - they're almost always under 30.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
              I completely disagree about the "kiddies" and "professionals".
              I guess you haven't done much "Battlefield 1942/2" modding?

Comment

I started making (crappy) maps in the UT99 editor when I was around 19/20 - I'm now 24.

Comment

i think i could be the *youngest* starting mapper on these forums
                  i began mapping UT 99 in UnrealEd 2 when i was 7 years old.

now im 13 (turning 14 soon) and im working on a Warfare map for UT 3 XD

Comment

I started when I was about 14, but I was utterly terrible at it, and am slightly better today, 3 years later. I still pale in comparison to the map making skill I see on these forums though.

Comment

My first game development was programming my own engines and games in assembler on the TI-99/4a and Apple ][+. That was in 1981, before most of the people on these boards were born. I started with HP computers in my teens when they used cards to program them.
                      Then I moved into modex 32-bit assembler programming on the PC in the 90's. I still have some of that old code archived here on my studio server.
                      Now I do bits of everything from level design to programming, mostly on the Unreal Engines, some community stuff, some mod stuff, some freelance professional stuff. Will level design for money...
                      45... so you may want to increase the maximum age number in your comments everyone...

Comment

I'm 29. I started modding with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom 1 (so I was about 14 as well.) Like you guys, I was bad at it at the time. But I stuck with it, and eventually met a bunch of other guys who liked making games, and we started a company. Now I'm at a big game studio, and was lead artist on one of the first games to ship on Unreal Engine 3 (Medal of Honor: Airborne. Yeah, not a blockbuster of the season, but I'm still proud!)

The lesson?

Be careful, map making is addictive, and you may end up doing it for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                          My first game development was programming my own engines and games in assembler on the TI-99/4a ...
                          WOW!! Did you just bring back memories. My families' first computer was a TI-99/4a. 19" color TV for a monitor, cassette deck for external storage. I remember the first time I heard a phone modem, I said it sounded like my old cassette drive. No one knew what I was talking about.

I programmed a very poor clone of Berserk and an even worse clone of Pac Man using TI Basic. It might have been in TI Extended Basic, not sure. Either way I was only 10 or 11 years old. 19 years later (in 2000) I made my first map for UT99 and have been addicted ever since.

Comment

I was 11 years old when i start mapping for ut99 now i am 19.
                            I made maps for every ut.
                            I also made a battlefield map but that editor keeps craching so i stoped fast.
                            here is my latest map hope u guys can see that in 8 years i become pretty good.
                            (other peoples comment) http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=599773

Comment

i began mapping UT 99 in UnrealEd 2 when i was 7 years old.
                              WOW! Do you have any pics of your work?

I started when I was 17 just over two months ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X