Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT3 Character + Weapon + Vehicle + FaceFX Tutorials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT3 Character + Weapon + Vehicle + FaceFX Tutorials

Due to IGN(gamespy) closing it's website/forum hosting on the 31/08/2009 you may have problems accessing the tutorials/videos.

atm the moment i'm uploading the video's to http://hosted.filefront.com/geodav/ feel free to visit and browser the folders, i do hope to have all the video#s uploaded with in the next few weeks

I've just updated my mods website http://sites.google.com/site/ut40kmod/UT40k_mod to include my tutorials on getting custom characters + weapons + vehicle into UT3.
    if you find any problems please post it here so that i can correct/add to the tutorial

just found this page http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PublicTopics.html saves me some work

edit:- here's a list of my video's so far most are for 3ds max
    edit:- added some more character video's + damagemasks with Blacksmith3d
    edit:- added the rest of the basic weapon video tutorials (now complete)

Here is a Character Tutorial well worth reading Trust Me its top quality
    Character Import into UT3 - Large 7Mb, High Quality(
    Character Import into UT3 - Small 750k, Low Quality(
    These comes from a long time friend and a guy who has fought his way through all the ups and downs of Custom Character Creation "Discmage"

UT3 tutorial list

General Info
    Modding UT3. Where to start video 1
    Modding UT3. Setting up a Mod Project video 2

Weapons
    Exporting a basic weapon from 3ds max (old)
    Exporting a basic weapon from 3ds max (rigging+skinning+anims)
    Creating the package and setting up in UEd
    Coding the weapon (setting up the package)
    Testing the weapon in-game
    Fixing the code-testing in-game

Vehicles:-

Skimmers
    Exporting a simple HoverCraft from 3ds max video 01
    Painting a Damage-Mask for the HoverCraft in Blacksmith3d video 02
    Setting up the Materials for the HoverCraft in Unreal Ed video 03
    Setting up the Mesh for the HoverCraft in Unreal Ed video 04
    Setting up the Physics Asset for the HoverCraft in Unreal Ed video 05
    Setting up the Morph Target Set for the HoverCraft in Unreal Ed video 06
    Setting up the Death Mesh for the HoverCraft in Unreal Ed video 07
    Setting up the AnimTree for the HoverCraft in Unreal Ed video 08
    Setting up the Code for the HoverCraft in Context video 09
    Testing the HoverCraft in UT3 video 10
    Cooking the HoverCraft package video 11

Wheeled
    Rigging & Skinning & Exporting a wheeled Vehicle from 3ds max video 1
    Exporting the Morph targets for a wheeled Vehicle from 3ds max video 2
    Painting a Damage-Mask for the LandBuggy in Blacksmith3d video 3

Tracked
    Setting the materials for a tracked vehicle in 3ds max video 1
    Rigging & Skinning & Exporting a tracked vehicle from 3ds max video 2
    Exporting morph targets for a tracked vehicle from 3ds max video 3
    Exporting a few extra pieces for a tracked vehicle from 3ds max video4
    Painting a Damage-Mask for the LandBuggy in Blacksmith3d video 5

Flyer
    Exporting a mesh+anim+morphtarget for a flyer vehicle from 3ds max video 1
    Exporting a death mesh for a flyer vehicle from 3ds max video 2
    Painting a Damage-Mask for the FlyBug in Blacksmith3d video 3

Characters
    Character UVW Layout (WHY) in 3ds max video 01
    Exporting a Multi-Part Character from 3ds max video 2
    Exporting a Character Master-Rigg from 3ds max video 03
    Exporting a Single-Mesh Character from 3ds max video 4
    Painting a Character Single-Mesh in Blacksmith3d video 5

FaceFX
    FaceFX Intro, thing to look for in UT3 Editor video 01
    Setting up and export a rig/mesh from 3ds max video 02
    Basic set up of the mesh + creating the FaceFX Asset video 03
    Setting the phonme mapping to the bone poses video 04
    Creating a Combiner to use with an animation video 05
    more info please visit my site

awesome! thanks very much, I'll definately test your tutorial

Comment

Sweet!

Thanks a bunch mate!

Comment

Thanks a lot, I can't wait to try out character dev.

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
          I've just updated my mods website http://www.ut40k.planetunreal.gamespy.com/ to include my tutorials on getting custom characters + weapons into UT3.
          if you find any problems please post it here so that i can correct/add to the tutorial

ps i'll be starting on a custom vehicle tutorial next week
          man... you are my hero... thanks for the tutorial

Comment

Hi,
            Does you vehicle tutorial change the base code in any way (like changing what the vehicle does rather than just changing the meshes?). Also, how deep are you gonna go into vehicle damage? I already know how the damage meshes and material is made, what I don't know is how it's tied into the damage system and how the vehicle is told which part has received damage and which part of the damage mask to use to show the burntout material.
            Anyhow, I've been studying vehicles in UT3Ed for a while now (and am in the process of modeling one actually), if you have any questions about the damage materials (something I THINK I have studied extensively) or the morph targets, let me know.

Comment

@jansoft88, so far i've just been working on a jetbike(manta) so code wise its mainly going to be just small code changes to get the mesh in and working. I've had a quick look at morphtargets and the damage system but haven't added them to the tutorial yet, i think you need to have a look at the animtree(damagespring). any info on the morphtarget setup would be helpful, i know you have to export them from a 3d app (psk) just not sure how to connect it all together

ps parts 1-4 of the vehicle tutorial are up

Comment

Well the morph targets are probably PSK files. The deformation is done via bones (so you create a bone near the place you need to show damage at and then create that damage by moving the bones rather than the verts or faces. The Anim tree kinds brings most of it together, the morph targets and animations (if any, which in manta's case are NONE) are plugged into the anim tree. It also has to do with the meshes you see after the vehicle dies. It's kinda difficult to explain though . I'm sending you my yahoo user name, add me and we can have a chat about it and try to figure it out.
                P.S. So far your tutorial has been really good. Would like to learn more about PhAt and the Anim Tree though :-s... where's the UDN documentation.

Comment

I see I'll have to dig a bit deeper for the morph stuff, PhAt for vehicles is very basic i think (so far) could do a lot more with it, the AnimTree is where my head hurts i mean how do you keep an over view, don't wait for UDN as that won't come till Epic is ready (when it's done)

Comment

I got lost on the exporting part. I exported it as a .ase with ActorX but then, how did you import a skeletal mesh? those are .psk

Comment

exported what? with 3ds max you export an ase file via the normal export menu, you only use actorx to export psk(skeletalmeshes for characters,weapons,vehicles) and psa(animation sets)

Comment

correct...
                        .ase = static mesh
                        .psk = skeletal mesh
                        .psa = animations

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorX.html

Comment

awesome, thanks! I'll be sure to try them out.

Comment

I have a few questions

First, is it possible to scale a skeletal mesh in the skeletal mesh editor? It's annoying to do in code via Drawscale because that scales some of the emitters, too.

Second, I can't seem to give my vehicle rigid body collision. I set up the physics asset as it is done in the tut and I can preview it in Unreal PhAT just fine (although it is only 1/35 of the size it should be, thanks to the problem above), but for some reason, ingame, the vehicle has no collision whatsoever with other physics objects (e.g. other vehicles), and is not affected by physics itself (floats in the air, not affected by gravity). It still collides with players and weapons, using the physics asset I made for it, but for some reason it doesn't have any RB collision. I looked at the flags in the properties of the collision boxes in Unreal PhAT, and "disable RB collision" is not checked.

Comment

atm i can't see any way to scale the mesh in Ued, i can only surgest you scale it in your 3d app, don't forget to re_export the vehicle anims at the new size as well, then just re-import and everything else should link back up

I've just tried my jetbike(hoverbike) again and it collided ok, have you given it a PhysicalMaterial, otherwise i'm a bit lost until i try a tank

Comment

Working...
                              X