Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Preparing your map for publishing and distribution

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree.
    People should not attempt to duplicate the cooked folder layout in the zip. The zip should just hold the map file and ini, optional readme and screenshots.

Comment

I seem to have a, erm..., unuasual maybe easy problem. I bought the editors edt, created my map, was able to export it and play it ingame. But in my editor, I dont seem to have a "publish" or "cook" option. My brother who bought and installed the normal version of UT3, says in his editor the publish button is to the right on the top toolbar next to build all. I dont have anything like that. Please help!

Comment

It is not next to the Build All, it is four controls to the right of that.
        It's the toolbar button on the very right that looks like a fire/flame with an arrow through it, immediately to the right of the Play In Editor "black joystick" button.
        If you are running an old system with low-resolution monitor (probably 1024x768 or less?) it may be off the screen.

Comment

I'd also like to suggest that any readme files start with the map name, like MyMap Readme.txt. Otherwise you get one readme overwriting the other in the map folder.

I guess I like to keep readmes around...

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
          The zip should just hold the map file and ini, optional readme and screenshots.
          Except for Warfare maps, which also need an .ini in the Config folder for their link setups. I'd rather duplicate the folder structure for that. The world is full of people that wouldn't know what to do even if it was spelled out in the Readme.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
            I'd also like to suggest that any readme files start with the map name, like MyMap Readme.txt. Otherwise you get one readme overwriting the other in the map folder.
            I agree with you on this one, other than the issue that many of the comp/decomp utilities out there such as WinZip automatically recognize any file named "readme.*" in the archive, which is why I have it simply as "readme.txt" in the tutorial post.
            Usually I have two readme's in my zips, one for the gamer (Readme.txt) and another one along with screenshots for the hosting sites (<mapname> Readme.txt).
            Personally I just extract the required map file and I don't extract the rest in the archive so that I don't get all of the extra clutter on my drive, and I can always refer back to the archive to see the readme.

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
            Except for Warfare maps, which also need an .ini in the Config folder for their link setups. I'd rather duplicate the folder structure for that. The world is full of people that wouldn't know what to do even if it was spelled out in the Readme.
            Yes, this is a bit of a pain. I wish the link setup was integrated into the map like UT2k4, but it was moved outside most likely to allow modification post-cooking.
            I've seen map zips that contain the entire empty unpublished and published folders layout, so unfortunately you will probably still find some people who don't know what to do with the link ini file regardless of where it is located in the archive.

Comment

Is there any reason why this thread isn't stickied yet? The information here really is essential to mappers.

Edit: Oh, it's done now. Thanks to whoever took the time to do this.

Comment

Thanx DGUnreal, I found it. I should have guessed it after watching the tutorial videos where they also every now and then comments ons running a low resolution while making the movies. As soon as I went above 1024, I found it.

Comment

I am getting the following error...

Any ideas? I made sure I have the folders needed that you mentioned in your howto you wrote.

Comment

There must be an issue with the My Documents\My Games\ path on the system. Make sure the full path is correct with no typos.

Comment

checked, double checked, triple checked, then drug the uncooked map over to the location it ends up in the cooked directory to reconfirm that it shows up in the game...which it does.

Comment

The issue with the Description text not showing in-game has been resolved with thanks to WrATH.
                        The first post information has been updated to show the fix procedure.

Comment

thanx for the info !!! though i cant seem to find the screenshot after ive imported it though, where does it go after being imported??

Comment

The screenshot texture goes to whatever Package and Group you specified on the Import dialog.
                            Make sure this is set to the name of your map for the Package.

Comment

my map wont create an ini file.
                              it gives me 2 errors and wont even publish the map =o. also when i build it I have 3 errors but its just a reference object contained in editor -only package texture 2d editor resorce and a bacceptlights msg thats not really a big deal. the map works great sept it stutters...

60 fps the entire game if it didnt stutter so much.

only way I could play the map in full screen was copying it from my un published folder into the published. not sure if thats the correct way to get arround my errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo101 View Post
                                my map wont create an ini file.

it gives me 2 errors and wont even publish the map

only way I could play the map in full screen was copying it from my un published folder into the published. not sure if thats the correct way to get arround my errors.
                                See Notes #6 on the main post.

You should fix the errors. They usually mean that something is wrong.

That does allow you to play it in-game, but that isn't the correct way to fix errors. The map may or may not have issues playing on other systems if you leave it as is.

Comment

Working...
                                X