Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT3 maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 maps

k im prob gonna get flamed for this.
    but seriously. i dont claim to be an awesome mapper or anything. but ****, ive looked at every ut3 map released on this forums... im sure some of them play ok. but they all look horrible.
    why cant people spend more than 1 day on a map to at least make it look passable, let alone playable, rather that some heap of random bsp and static mesh ****fest?
    id rather see remake maps take some time and release a good version, than some new mapper steal the name and make a half **** map and have the correct remake have a name like DM-Ironic-UT3-XT-UC.ut3
    sorry for the rant. please people, take some time with your maps rather than trying to be the first out, thats my main point.

some ppl dont have a life time exp with Unreal, let alone level design / art knowledge, new ppl get into game development everyday, and not suprisinggly they arnt going to understand and get to grips with every concept to design and build an industry standard level the first time round

the reason you havnt seen many top quality levels is stated in your own post... they are taking theyre time making sure its perfect and as a result we know nothing of them yet.

but i understand where your coming from and agree, being first doesnt always make you the best, but the guys trying to the be first and sacrifising quality will learn that in time

Comment

Theres a huge difference between the beta releases and full releases.

Comment

maby, but it is the guys that try first the help the rest get up to par

Comment

lol 4 views, 3 replies ^^ .. gonna be a longgg thread

Comment

lol, well if anyone every gets the prisim BSP effect they could either spend 3 days on just figuring out how to fix it or ask me. I tackled that one already.

Comment

i agree +1, WORK MORE THAN A DAY ON YOUR MAPS!

Comment

UT99 and UT2004 had the same thing happen. And most of what was created for UT99 and UT2004 were *ahem* not very good (I'll be polite ).
                A lot of people are just happy to get a map made in UT3. It will be at least a month or two before any real good maps start showing up, as that is the time it takes to do something relatively professional.

Comment

Silly newb mappers.

I got two maps in the works, been working on them since I got the game the day it came out. It'll be a little while before they are done though.

Comment

Wow, as tempting as it is to flame you I'm going to try and hold back.
                    This is one of my biggest problems with the gaming community, this hostility towards the new and inexperienced. Instead of posts like this, you should be throwing up tutorials to help them, giving constructive criticism etc. or at the very least keeping quiet while their mapping skills develop and evolve.
                    Especially considering some of these would be mappers could be very young and just handling the tools and making their BSP/mesh fest could be quite an accomplishment for them.
                    I know my youngest brother started mapping at age eight or ten or something back with Unreal 2003, and yeah his maps sucked but the fact that he made one period was fairly impressive.
                    So help the noobs, or lay off.

Comment

The trouble is new mappers simply dont get it.
                      Or they are the type of people that shove every weapon + pickup in one box room.

My first public release was top notch standard (for a first map).
                      If you look at your work and it doesn't look like something you would find on the official disc, don't release it.

I think I've only seen one or two decent maps posted so far, judging by screen shots. You really dont have to put up an image of your first room and call it work in progress. Any real map with origional well designed layout will take at the very least a few weeks.

Decide what theme you are going for and stick to it.
                      Think of all the different elements / pickups you want to have.
                      Now start off with drawings.

Then spend the next 20 hours building a room.
                      It needs to play well, looks good and be worthy of a screenshot.

THEN, maaaaybe release a screenshot.
                      At least have some sort of plan for the rest of the map + an approximate deadline though.

Noob mappers.. PFFFF
                      *am completely self taught*
                      Yes its possible.

Comment

Some people are kinda young though, and although the game is designed to be extremely mature, it can still be set to a reasonable setting...

Heh I look back at coding ventures I attempted when I was 12-13ish. They aren't very advanced in the slightest...Kinda fortunate though, people don't see how crappy the code is .

Criticism has to be expected if your going to post a map, and people will be criticized for putting out a rushed map. But the criticism should at least direct somebody to a reasonable source of tutorials; perhaps a sticky?

Still some people love the box maps, and although I would never encourage them, if they suit others just fine then so be it...

Comment

Originally posted by ChookWoods View Post
                          k im prob gonna get flamed for this.
                          but seriously. i dont claim to be an awesome mapper or anything. but ****, ive looked at every ut3 map released on this forums... im sure some of them play ok. but they all look horrible.
                          why cant people spend more than 1 day on a map to at least make it look passable, let alone playable, rather that some heap of random bsp and static mesh ****fest?
                          id rather see remake maps take some time and release a good version, than some new mapper steal the name and make a half **** map and have the correct remake have a name like DM-Ironic-UT3-XT-UC.ut3
                          sorry for the rant. please people, take some time with your maps rather than trying to be the first out, thats my main point.
                          The only reason you only see **** maps right now is because the game's been out a week or less and the people making the non-**** maps take more time to make their maps, like you suggested

Comment

Originally posted by Sjosz View Post
                            The only reason you only see **** maps right now is because the game's been out a week or less and the people making the non-**** maps take more time to make their maps, like you suggested
                            QFT, everyone wants to get in there first and release a map, or try out all the shiny new engine features

My advice to anyone planning to release maps straight away is don't rush it. It takes at least a couple of months to make a decent map, take some time to learn the editor well and perfect the map, it's well worth it.

Tutorial links:
                            http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.htm
                            http://www.avld.org/pages/tuts/tuts.htm

If you have the collector's edition, there are video tutorials included with it. Keep in mind as time goes on, more tutorials will appear too

Comment

Get the Special Edition

Hi to all,

I would like to start off by saying a very big unashamably (brown noising) Thank you to Epic! excellent design excellent game all round well worth the wait,and the video tutorials are a god send...

Just a quick peice of advise to anyone fairly new to mapping(as I am) I can not stress enough that if you want to get any idea of the changes between the old and new versions of unrealEd 3 then I would plead with you,if your thinking of buying ut3 to buy a copy of the special edtion, the extra fiver or so will be the best investment you will ever make if you want to get to grips with making a reasonably good map using the latest version then the video tutorials shipped with the special edition are a must see they will save you countless hours of head scratching,not to mention searching endless ut forums to see if anyone else is having the same problem as you.
                              The new features in the latest version rock you can do so many cool things.
                              "GET THE SPECIAL EDITION"

Comment

Working...
                              X