Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Publishing and Cooking UT3 Community Maps

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cpt_SLOG View Post
    On further investigation, I have this solution for my problem.

Hope it works for you chaps
    I'm using Vista and I think it is a Vista specific problem.

Here goes! :_

started with this

Ok , go to the games insallation folder

go to unrealtournament3/binaries folder

find UT3.exe application

right click and open up the properties for this puppy.

then go to the compatabilities tab

click show settings for all users

at the bottom tick the Run this program as administrator

click OK to all

like this

Fire up the editor

you will be asked for permission to continue(yes)

then I got this

This has fixed it for me, thank you.

Comment

I can say a few things about system requirements.
      I started my level on 1600+ AMD XP,1GB RAM,9600 XT.I could do the whole level without any problem,I was just taking care not to build any lightning,and not to do anything with post process since my video card hadn't SM2 or SM3.Of course if I put a light and tried to build a nice crash came.Lightning and post process things finished in my new configuration.
      In lower configuration you can build levels as well with full detail,just don't do anything with these 2 things,do them in the end.

Comment

2 gig is fine. I've had no problems even with loads of packages open in the editor.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
          So did using Administrator work for you guys?
          If so, right-click on the icon, choose Properties, then click on the Advanced button and make sure the Run as Administrator checkbox is checked. And you should be good to go.
          HUGE thank you

Comment

Please help my map wont cook

get this error everytime

Comment

I found out that cooking with -nohomedir caused this kind of error for me so I started running the editor without and it worked at the first try. I suggest moving the map to My Documents and Unpublished then open it, build all, save all and cook.

One question remains, is there a way to cook using -nohomedir either by configuring the editor or writing your own batch file?

Comment

Hi Everyone, I've been looking around for some answers regarding Publishing, Cooking my created level. The problem I'm having is that once I've clicked the Publish button, and select Yes or No to Save the Package, The console comes up and the issue is this...

Init: Version: 3487
                Init: Epic Internal: 0
                Init: Compiled: Oct 21 2007 03:17:32
                Init: Command line: -platform=PC DM-900AD_Test -AlwaysRecookMaps -UpdateInisAuto
                Init: Base directory: C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\
                Init: Character set: Unicode
                Log: Executing Class Editor.CookPackagesCommandlet
                Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file: ..\Engine\Localization\int\Editor.int
                UserModType: (0)
                Loading base level ..\UTGame\CookedPC\CustomMaps\DM-900AD_Test.ut3
                Failed to load '900AD_Package': Can't find file for package '900AD_Package'
                UpToDate ..\UTGame\CookedPC\Environments\UN_Terrain2.upk
                Skipping shader cache ..\UTGame\CookedPC\LocalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM2.upk
                Skipping shader cache ..\UTGame\CookedPC\LocalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.upk
                Skipping shader cache ..\UTGame\CookedPC\LocalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.upk
                Skipping shader cache ..\UTGame\CookedPC\RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM2.upk
                Skipping shader cache ..\UTGame\CookedPC\RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.upk
                Skipping shader cache ..\UTGame\CookedPC\RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.upk
                Cooking [Seekfree] DM-900AD_Test
                Copying shader cache RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM2.upk
                Copying shader cache RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.upk
                Copying shader cache RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.upk

TotalTime 22.47 seconds
                LoadSectionPackages 0.00 seconds
                LoadNativePackages 0.53 seconds
                LoadDependencies 3.28 seconds
                LoadPackages 1.82 seconds
                LoadPerMapPackages 0.00 seconds
                LoadCombinedStartupPackages 0.00 seconds
                CookTime; 1.33 seconds
                CookPhysics 0.10 seconds
                CookTexture 1.13 seconds
                CookSound 0.00 seconds
                CookMovie 0.00 seconds
                CookStrip 0.05 seconds
                CookSkeletalMesh 0.00 seconds
                CookStaticMesh 0.00 seconds
                PackageSave 3.91 seconds
                PrepareForSaving 0.05 seconds
                PrepareForSavingTexture 0.00 seconds
                PrepareForSavingTerrain 0.00 seconds
                PrepareForSavingMaterial 0.00 seconds
                PrepareForSavingMaterialInstance 0.00 seconds
                CollectGarbageAndVerify 0.18 seconds

Success - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Execution of commandlet took: 22.53 seconds

When I load my level up in Unreal T3 none of my static meshes (which I created using Maya and imported correctly into the UnrealEd) appear. the level is there but it's only my own models that do not appear. I'm not sure why it doesn't find the package. I've looked thought LOADS of threads but I can't find any answers. The name is correct for the package and it loads up fine in the Editor and plays fine in it too... Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comment

I'm having the same problem as Noe-Keniz. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm guessing it has something to do with the map getting disconnected from the package some how but I have no idea how this happened and how to fix it.

Comment

#1 “Cooking” bakes out unnecessary content from the map file.
                    Then why map file grows from 1MB to 20MB ?
                    #2 creates the shader cache information needed to properly load and run your map and improves performance and loading times.
                    Really ? Didnt have a single problem nor performance loss with uncooked maps.
                    #3 “Publishing” sets up the files for distribution and puts everything into the proper directory so that other people can play what you’ve created.
                    As if no one can figure out that ut3 goes into maps and upk into packages. Typically map developers note that in the readme file as well as store their map files in appropriate folders already.

Why i dont cook maps:
                    #1 15MB map using strictly game content becomes then 2mb when compressed into UZ3 format for redirect servers making it small and fast to download.
                    #2 If i ever need to make changes to the map, i dont have to have source map available. Cooked maps are NOT EDITABLE !!!!

Maybe am stupid (one would not know) but i see no point of cooking maps other then protecting your own creation from modification by every newb mapper who knows how to start the editor. Other then that, i dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by ADPdirty View Post
                      #2 creates the shader cache information needed to properly load and run your map and improves performance and loading times.
                      #3 “Publishing” sets up the files for distribution and puts everything into the proper directory so that other people can play what you’ve created.
                      As if no one can figure out that ut3 goes into maps and upk into packages. Typically map developers note that in the readme file as well as store their map files in appropriate folders already.

Why i dont cook maps:
                      #1 15MB map using strictly game content becomes then 2mb when compressed into UZ3 format for redirect servers making it small and fast to download.
                      #2 If i ever need to make changes to the map, i dont have to have source map available. Cooked maps are NOT EDITABLE !!!!

Maybe am stupid (one would not know) but i see no point of cooking maps other then protecting your own creation from modification by every newb mapper who knows how to start the editor. Other then that, i dont know.
                      The reason your file gets bigger is you are probably using stock music. When you cook using a stock song, it bakes it into the map file. In that case your file size will suffer.

However, if you are using custom music and sounds, they will not be compressed until the map is cooked. For example I have a map that has a 15 min long playlist of songs, and it was 150MB uncooked. After cooking it was 18MB.

Comment

As tarnationsauce2 already said, music will get imported into a cooked file. This will increase the file size. However, if you're using non-stock music (customly imported) the raw format (WAVE format etc.) is uncompressed and use much space. Audio will be compressed/converted to OGG after cooking. Besides these audio optimizations, cooked files are loaded much quicker. But that's not the only optimization.

Why i dont cook maps:
                        Re #1:
                        Downloading happens only once (in best case) and playing/loading happens more often. Why would you decrease the file size and get faster download times once if you can cook the map and increase the performance for all time when the map is played. There are several other things why a cooked map is optimized (performance wise).

Re #2:
                        Cooked maps can be editable. You only need to save them once (under a different name). Some maps are lacking of texture when opening these in the editor engine.

Comment

Working...
                        X