Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

DM-1on1-YET-TO BE-NAMED

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM-1on1-YET-TO BE-NAMED

DM-1on1-YET-TO BE-NAMED
    Well its that time again, a new UT, new engine and a host of things to learn. Bring it on.

I've got the basic layout in max and I'm working room by room. Its going to be a temple part merged in the ground, so there will be some cave areas. Never been the best at layouts so dont expect much, I'm going for half assed layout, great theme and stunning looks.

I got to tell you this modelling a level within max ant a simple task. Trying to guess poly-counts for each piece of mesh, when to use normal mapping and not. Putting it all together and scale, but I get the last will have to wait and see..

pic1

pic2

As each room comes together I'l post updated pics

That door is especially cool. I would like to see some wireframes too to see what you're doing.
    Shame you'll have to relight everything.

Comment

Impressive but i'd be careful on building the layout of your map so soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Caravaggio View Post
        That door is especially cool. I would like to see some wireframes too to see what you're doing.
        Shame you'll have to relight everything.
        Will post, its high-poly but should make a great normal map with a little age-ing added. As for lighting, I have'nt. Well I throw in a number just so you can see the detail better...

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
        Impressive but i'd be careful on building the layout of your map so soon.
        Your right. But if I do it this way I have idea, on how and what assets I need for the levels...

Comment

Here you go...
          All assets are build out of a number of sections.

Pic00

Pic01

Pic02

Pic03

Comment

Need some help
            I need to create a cylinder chamber with arches but I only want to model 1 segment and then repeat it around. As the chamber is basically the same this will help save on polys, I would like to get it as close to the grid as poss. The centre piece need to have 8/2 arches raising into a doomed ceiling...

I can do it, but I'm sure theres a simple way to the way I've been doing it ?

I'm using max 07

Comment

I can't see the pictures (anymore?)... perhaps they've disabled the deep linking for these forums (they = photobucket) .

Comment

Originally posted by Simeon View Post
                I can't see the pictures (anymore?)... perhaps they've disabled the deep linking for these forums (they = photobucket) .
                Ya I can login to photobucket but when I go to look at my images It say "You are not authorized" hell there my images.

I guess its just down at mo.
                Back to the matter...

Where DG when you need him ?

Comment

Originally posted by p2xelgen View Post
                  Need some help
                  I need to create a cylinder chamber with arches but I only want to model 1 segment and then repeat it around. As the chamber is basically the same this will help save on polys, I would like to get it as close to the grid as poss. The centre piece need to have 8/2 arches raising into a doomed ceiling...

I'm using max 07
                  Anyone ???

Comment

Where DG when you need him ?
                    I'm always just a PM away...

Need some help

I hope that all of your Max scene entities are Instances, ie. the columns and such that are the same.
                    You will usually only be modeling/exporting one of them into UT3.
                    When creating entire levels in Max, you want to keep in mind that you will be breaking everything into small pieces of around 100-500 polys, with no more than one texture, and with one texture uvmap and lightmap uvmap channel per piece. So you want re-usability of instances. Large low-poly wall pieces should also be continuous so that they can be used as main occluders.

As far as map scale, the player size is the same as UT2004, but the movement and weapons allow for a scale that is about 75% of what UT2004 is.

Regarding your cylindrical chamber, if I follow you correctly, simply model 1/8th of it, keep the local axis at the cylinder center so that it rotates properly in a circle, clone-instance it manually and rotate, or use the array in Max.

Comment

does anyone have a simple obj/mesh that one can imported into, say max or maya, for character scale/height reference?

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                        I'm always just a PM away...

I hope that all of your Max scene entities are Instances, ie. the columns and such that are the same.
                        You will usually only be modeling/exporting one of them into UT3.
                        When creating entire levels in Max, you want to keep in mind that you will be breaking everything into small pieces of around 100-500 polys, with no more than one texture, and with one texture uvmap and lightmap uvmap channel per piece. So you want re-usability of instances. Large low-poly wall pieces should also be continuous so that they can be used as main occluders.

As far as map scale, the player size is the same as UT2004, but the movement and weapons allow for a scale that is about 75% of what UT2004 is.

Regarding your cylindrical chamber, if I follow you correctly, simply model 1/8th of it, keep the local axis at the cylinder center so that it rotates properly in a circle, clone-instance it manually and rotate, or use the array in Max.

OK:
                        When it comes to Instances, in a word no. So when I build a mesh and go to copy I should choose Instances ? What are the benefits of using Instance ?, is it that I only would have to make changes to one for all to change. i.e scale/uvmap.

On play scale:
                        I guessed would be around the same, but dont you think the players look small in the demo ?

Now for the cylindrical chamber:
                        The way I was modeling it was to create a cylindler and remove all but one segement and then rotate it around, snapping to grid. But I wanted the points to be on the grid, is this poss.

Thanks once again for the tips DG:

Comment

Originally posted by cydonian View Post
                          does anyone have a simple obj/mesh that one can imported into, say max or maya, for character scale/height reference?
                          hijacker

Comment

That well looks like the bridge of fate , the big doors you go through , the pillars on each side , a cave/temple ( exactly like bridge of fate).
                            Not saying your copying it but take a look pal .

Comment

This map looks really impressive p2... well done on doing so much without the full editor yet...be hard to choose a map name without seeing a bit more of a layout at this stage...

Edit : DM-Hallucinogen

Comment

Working...
                              X