Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Unrealscript for UT4 Similar to UT3?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unrealscript for UT4 Similar to UT3?

I know it's not officially called UT4, but you know what I mean. If I learn how to write scripts for the UT3 Editor, will that knowledge be useful when I get the next engine? Just wondering since I could technically get the new engine now, but I'm waiting for the final game to be released so I have all the content. Don't have all the skills to create all the content... yet.

It's quite the same but different. As UnrealScript doesn't exist anymore (officially), the code cannot be ported 1:1 to UT4. But the workflow is quite the same and the syntax. It really depends on what you are trying to extend. It's the still the engine base and so it really helps if you know older engine iterations. But at the same time, you can actually try to work directly on UT4's code (and the editor). UnrealScript is actually a lot easier than C++ but it is also limited in some way (accessing filesystem etc.).

Comment

I would suggest that yes get started now on learning how it works and how to do things in code. If UT4 does get released, I imagine that the actual UnrealScript used for the game will be some what different, but the underlying concepts will be the same. (i.e. the general programing methods and how things are done in UnreaScript, extending off existing classes, using object oriented programing, the use of actors, AI path network, how texture/shaders are used, etc)

Its either learn atleast the basics now, or try to catch up later on.

Comment

Originally posted by HKLM View Post
        I would suggest that yes get started now on learning how it works and how to do things in code. If UT4 does get released, I imagine that the actual UnrealScript used for the game will be some what different, but the underlying concepts will be the same. (i.e. the general programing methods and how things are done in UnreaScript, extending off existing classes, using object oriented programing, the use of actors, AI path network, how texture/shaders are used, etc)

Its either learn atleast the basics now, or try to catch up later on.
        Never mind that. From what I now found out, it looks like UT4 will use C++ and/or Blueprints for the coding. So don't even bother with UnrealScript, it seems that it is now a abandoned language.

Comment

Working...
        X