Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Engine and LOD

Hey guys,
    This is the last place to ask my question... Im playing the game that uses Unreal Engine, so Im sure you will know more about it than me.
    The thing that bothers me is LOD... 50% of textures are low ress even when Im standing next to them, I need to "kiss" them with my camera to see the high ress ones... its so annoying, 'cause the game runs smooth and I just want to have high ress textures no matter the distance ;/

This game has no graphic settings (you can only set the screen resolution) so I played a bit with the config files. I found one, with many useful options and even some LOD ones, but Im a newbie so I just dont know what values to set. So, here are the options I found:

SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
    ParticleLODBias=0

Changing these two doesnt seem to have a strong effect (from what I read on other sites, it can be set -2,-1,0,1,2)

Found also these:
    TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,L ODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSi ze=4096,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSiz e=4096,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=40 96,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxL ODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLO DSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096, LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODS ize=4096,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSi ze=4096,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096 ,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLOD Size=4096,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODS ize=4096,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=40 96,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096 ,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096, LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODB ias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_LightAndShadowMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLO DSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize =4096,LODBias=0)

It seems that these settings are responsible somehow for the LOD of textures tho I dont know how it is working. When I change the MinLODSize to 256 and Max to 512 of the first 3 strings, many wolrd textures (like ground and plant's leaves) are set to their highest texture resolution no matter the distance, but some objects, like parts of vehicles (not the vehicle you can use, just some random world object) are set to their lowest texture res . Does anyone know, how to tweak those settings to turn off that **** LOD? Or maybe there is a command that I can add to the config file that will disable it (like disableLOD=True or something)? Please help.

im pretty sure there is more options then just the resolution, just click advanced

Comment

lol 'click advanced'. I believe the OP is referring to ini configuration files

Comment

Yes, its X-men Origins: Wolverine and no, there are no advanced options

Well, it seems I managed to find, which strings were responsible for the **** LOD:

[TextureStreaming]
        PoolSize=520
        HysteresisLimit=30
        DropMipLevelsLimit=40
        StopIncreasingLimit=30
        StopStreamingLimit=12
        MinFudgeFactor=0.5
        FudgeFactorIncreaseRateOfChange=0.3
        FudgeFactorDecreaseRateOfChange=-0.2
        MinRequestedMipsToConsider=11
        MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=0
        MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=0
        UseTextureFileCache=TRUE

This is how I modified the Texture Streaming part of the config file. Noticed, that only increasing the poolsize did a lot, but after I read some stuff in the internet I tweaked the rest. If you compare it to the original config file, you will notice, where the values were increased and where decreased, so you can try to tweak it even more, tho as I said, thanks to this, I have every freakin' texture in high ress, no matter the distance ^^ LOD is dead for me and yes, this game looks awesome with this

PS. In this file you will find maaany other options, that can make your game look better (AA, better shadows etc).

Comment

Working...
        X