HELP WITH MUTATORS *modding n00b needs help*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP WITH MUTATORS *modding n00b needs help*

Ok, so I'm a wannabe designer, and currently an amature modder. I have almost mastered the tools of the UnrealTournament3 ED, and I want to begin with mutators, first of all because:

1: I wanna make a fun Reedeemer only gametype

and

2: I need to learn to make them, so I can get better, and move on to Overhaul Mods

I have tried several tutorials, but I always have to download the UT3 Script file things, thats fine, only problem is I dont have WinRAR or anything like that and they are all RAR files, so I guess I wanna know how important these are, as well as where I can find a good tutorial or help. Thanks

EDIT: Apparently I placed this in the wrong fourm if somone could move it, that would be nice.

whew...

you need the code, everything happens within the code as far as making things appear.

you can down load winrar here this is the latest stable version. It sysa trial, however so does mine and I have been using it for a couple years..

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371.exe

hmm... tutorials, I don't know where you would want to start from. If you only want to alter the redeemer I would recommend extending it and making your own version of it, It has remote cameras and other variables that make it somewhat complicated otherwise. Extending it is fairly simple to do though. I would say a good place to start would be at pingfreaks website. I see he has a tutorial of extending a sniper rifle and changing some of its default values etc. That is what you want to see is an example, though it may look confusing if you aren't familiar with looking at code it is a great example of how to make a weapon appear. Thr redeemer would be done in a similar fashion.

tutorial: http://www.thegodsofdeath.com/module...iewtopic&t=272

welcome to the wonderful world of oop

Comment

Originally posted by dave neun View Post
      whew...

you need the code, everything happens within the code as far as making things appear.

you can down load winrar here this is the latest stable version. It sysa trial, however so does mine and I have been using it for a couple years..

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371.exe
      No nagging, fast, and works well.
      http://www.7-zip.org/

For working with code, I'm somewhat biased.

Comment

Originally posted by 280Z28 View Post
        No nagging, fast, and works well.
        http://www.7-zip.org/

For working with code, I'm somewhat biased.
        Im not sure I understand this, does this program allow me to unpack RARs?

Comment

Originally posted by The7thCrest View Post
          Im not sure I understand this, does this program allow me to unpack RARs?
          7-zip does, yes.

Comment

yo The7thCrest you could always open the unreal editor, open the generic browser, go to the actor classes tab, and click file export all scripts. this will put the src files for all the unreal game (including other peoples mods if previously loaded), and it puts it in your myGames\UnrealTournament3\UTGame\ExportedScripts (if it doesnt exist it will make it).

do that its faster than downloading and unraring.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody Lavery View Post
              yo The7thCrest you could always open the unreal editor, open the generic browser, go to the actor classes tab, and click file export all scripts. this will put the src files for all the unreal game (including other peoples mods if previously loaded), and it puts it in your myGames\UnrealTournament3\UTGame\ExportedScripts (if it doesnt exist it will make it).

do that its faster than downloading and unraring.
              Seemz like a g00d !d3@

Ill try it, seeings as I have unrealed open at the moment n e way

Comment

only problem with doing this is it will put in a huge amount of unnecessary default items, architecture types etc.

this I have learned it a bad thing as it causes redundancy errors and null calls.

a lesson I learned from Mr.Evil

I if you were to decompile the game would still recommend getting the source code from epic. so that you can see what is necessary to have in the default properties. You will see huge differences in what you export and what you download from epic.

what 280Z28 meant by his post is because I have a trial version and because of that since day 30 i have had to click an annoying box that asks me if i would like to purchase it... lol. Truth be told 7-zip will unzip rar files also just as good and will not give you the 30 trial period has ended would you like to buy now? message everytime you open a rar or 7 zip file.

one thing I should recommend is that while you are installing either of these(your call here will work either way) that you pay attention to the files associated with them. Make sure to un check .zip from the list because it is windows native compression and they aren't necessary for those. In the end either program will work 7-zip is probably a better option but rar works fine also.

Comment

only problem with doing this is it will put in a huge amount of unnecessary default items, architecture types etc.

this I have learned it a bad thing as it causes redundancy errors and null calls.

I if you were to decompile the game would still recommend getting the source code from epic. so that you can see what is necessary to have in the default properties. You will see huge differences in what you export and what you download from epic.

what 280Z28 meant by his post is because I have a trial version and because of that since day 30 i have had to click an annoying box that asks me if i would like to purchase it... lol. Truth be told 7-zip will unzip rar files also just as good and will not give you the 30 trial period has ended would you like to buy now? message everytime you open a rar or 7 zip file.

one thing I should recommend is that while you are installing either of these(your call here will work either way) that you pay attention to the files associated with them. Make sure to un check .zip from the list because it is windows native compression and they aren't necessary for those. In the end either program will work 7-zip is probably a better option but rar works fine also.
                  Ty for that info

Comment

No way?! i didnt know that, is it really that much different? dude i need that real source ****!

Comment

There are pros and cons to both version. The extracted one has very messy default properties with all sorts of bits that aren't necessary in them (mostly with the component properties). The downloaded source misses the definitions of some constants and a few other things. I like to have both around.

Comment

Working...
                      X