negative gravity flipping a character 180 degrees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

negative gravity flipping a character 180 degrees

On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate the difficulty of flipping achracter 180 degrees if the gravity switches?

On a side note do you think crysis zero gravity where you could rotate yourself and use of your pimped out thrusters like prophet suggested when he went off would be any fun in ut3?

Kinda like game "decent" ut3 style.

I know this avp style gameplay spider physics thing has been suggested a couple of times, but to what extend can you manipulate gravity?

You can't manipulate gravity direction to any real effect. You can however choose to ignore it for a Decent type game (e.g moving like the Fly console command).

Comment

How about flipping your character? If i can renember right Prey had 4 directions of gravity, everytime gravity switch your character flipped upright. Basically i want to fight on the floor and roof.

The other thing is no gravity with a way of moving relatively fast x y and z axis via "thrusters" or even an instagib rifle. And i guess 360 degrees of aiming. A sense of freedom.

Kinda wish i had all the time in the world to work this one out, but think I'm just gonna leave the idea here.

PS. Ambershee you still got that toolmover i want to play around with it...

Comment

Difficulty: 10/10; you would have to rewrite the physics for players in UScript, with nothing to base that on since the current physics code is within the engine.

It is possible though, but you would have very limited/non-existant compatibility with other mods etc.

Comment

Originally posted by HideInLight View Post
          PS. Ambershee you still got that toolmover i want to play around with it...
          If you want to play with it, search for physics or gravity guns on the forums and the code should be around somewhere.

Comment

Man I wanted to make this possible in a map for 2k4 soooooo bad, I could not pull it off however as they say it is not possible unless codded. I ended up making a cheezy lego map with warp zones and was able to make it look as if the opponent side was upside down, by flipping the sheet in between the rooms. It is fun to play online and with the tank you were able to shoot at people on the roof "upside down" on the opposite side. I would love for someone to code this I personally would make some maps for it if allowed of course.

Comment

You would have done that with Warpzones in UT2004. They don't exist however, in UT3.

Comment

They do, in the form of SceneCapturePortalActor's; I don't know if they work in UnrealEd though.

There is a bug with them though, in that one of them needs to be rotated by 180 degrees to get it working properly; but that may only be when you are using them dynamically (I was testing that as a proof of concept UT3 portal gun).

Comment

What about teleporters, have you noticed they have a flip z axis option as well as x and y?

Could that not work?

Its under properties

Comment

Originally posted by Shambler View Post
                    They do, in the form of SceneCapturePortalActor's; I don't know if they work in UnrealEd though.

There is a bug with them though, in that one of them needs to be rotated by 180 degrees to get it working properly; but that may only be when you are using them dynamically (I was testing that as a proof of concept UT3 portal gun).
                    They do work, but quite frankly, they're ****. It's one of the first things I noticed was missing in the engine, and with that, it's no longer possible to do an awful lot of things

Comment

How well do they work though? I've not tried them with UnrealEd.

When you tested them, did they render the scene properly and also allow instant-hit shots + projectiles through?
                      It may be possible to tweak them in UScript, so that they work a lot better; it should be possible to completely emulate warp zones.

Comment

tell me more shambler I like challenges, do you have any links I can find some more info from?

TX

bh

Comment

Here you go, found this after a bit of searching:
                          http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=585255

Seems the methods of use and the problem with portals are well described there.

Comment

How well do they work though? I've not tried them with UnrealEd.
                            Not very.

When you tested them, did they render the scene properly and also allow instant-hit shots + projectiles through?
                            It may be possible to tweak them in UScript, so that they work a lot better; it should be possible to completely emulate warp zones.
                            I didn't need to test them, because I know exactly how they work for what I wanted to know. Projectiles should be able to pass through them, and I believe that traces should be possible too, but I'm not sure.

The issue comes with performance. The size of the portal has an exponential hit on perfomance. Where with a warp zone, you could create massive sheet zones that would loop your world infinitely, a portal much bigger than those used in UT3 already starts to eat performance - in fact some people experience problems with the ones that are there.

Comment

Anyone tried the teleporters, hint maybe helpfull.

Comment

Working...
                              X