Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Getting Started Compiling a Mod

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suggest you don't touch the GUI part until after the first patch. It's likely they're gonna add stuff that will come in very handy for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrubzjeknf View Post
      I suggest you don't touch the GUI part until after the first patch. It's likely they're gonna add stuff that will come in very handy for you.
      That would require patience, that's not me . I hope there will be some way to create client side guis, but if not I already designed some strategies to work around that.

Comment

Originally posted by rans.m View Post
        I get a standard windows crash (popup box come up with ut3.exe has encountered a problem etc) when I compile and it gets down to my package and writes "-------vyd-release-----------" like that. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions
        I had the same problem. I was trying to copy an existing mod and modifying it. In my case the problem disappeared when I removed all defaultproperties except for Name.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
          Beat that: I don't have the game, but already coded two mutators.
          Owned!

So how do you export the existing U files? Need Harmon to get WotGreal Explorer working for these files.

Comment

wait so hows the story on exporting existing mutators from ut2k4 into ut3?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge-David View Post
              wait so hows the story on exporting existing mutators from ut2k4 into ut3?
              Well they'd just be "ports" of them. There are already a few in the "User Mods" area.

Comment

so...if I follow the steps here i can make my own mods?

Comment

Originally posted by TYF00N View Post
                  so...if I follow the steps here i can make my own mods?
                  Best bet would be to take a look at the standard mutators that came with UT2 and the ones that came with UT3.. there are a few that are ported like Bighead and lowgrav.

take a look at the subtle differences between the two.

Then try an easy UT2 one and try porting it over...

That hardest part is getting used to the new folder structure.. but even that gets pretty simple once you've got it.

Comment

I'm picking up the game tomorrow and want to start coding right away. How do you get the source scripts? For UT2K4, I always just downloaded them, but I can't find the UT3 ones anywhere. Also, will WOTgreal work for this?

Edit: I remember the last UEd had a cript editor, but it was ****. Is the new one existent, usable, useful?

Comment

Originally posted by jbizzler View Post
                      I'm picking up the game tomorrow and want to start coding right away. How do you get the source scripts? For UT2K4, I always just downloaded them, but I can't find the UT3 ones anywhere. Also, will WOTgreal work for this?

Edit: I remember the last UEd had a cript editor, but it was ****. Is the new one existent, usable, useful?
                      In UED for UT3, goto the Actor Browser and do "File -> Export All Scripts"

That will put all the source into your My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\ExportedScript folder

Comment

Is there a way to change the directory? I don't use My Documents, actually I don't even use the drive it's on except to hold Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
                          Is there a way to change the directory? I don't use My Documents, actually I don't even use the drive it's on except to hold Windows.
                          Here is one hack I know of.. haven't tried it tho:
                          http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...7&postcount=21

Here is also one from Microsoft themselves to change the way it works:
                          http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

But I'm with you, I'd rather have it all on my "Game" partition.

Also, as I was tired of losing my personal stuff when i reformatted my windows drive, I always keep a D:\My Documents folder and on the desktop you can right click and change the path quite easily to use this path. Now you never have to worry about it. Been doing that for nearly 10 years now across 98, ME, 2000 and XP... now it finally looks like I have another good reason to do that.

Comment

Would be very interested to know what the error message: "Error: Error reading attributes for " means - I too get this when I started up a server with my first ut3 addin.

The thing seems to run - so it may just be what you get when running from the unpublished directory.

I'm now looking forward to getting the game so I can test this darn code....

Comment

You could use a windows util called FSUTIL (if you use NTFS), which can basically let you have 1 file in two separate locations. Anything changed on one file will change the other, as they are really the same file. I know you can do this on a file-by-file basis but I haven't looked into using full directories. I'll look into it when I get back -- the pharmacy calls!

Comment

The MyGames folder is pure evil. It's really chaotic compared to the Ut2004 mod folder structure.

But you can actually store the mod content and scriptfiles in the directory where UT3 is installed. You just need to create a src folder in UTGame, or define your own in the ModPackages section in the UTEditor.ini file.
                                The compiled scriptfiles however, are always saved in MyGames\..\Script. But you can also copy the file over to \UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\MyMod in the UT3 directory. Content can be put there too.

Comment

Working...
                                X